Daily Current Affairs 17th June 2017
RBI initiates Prompt Corrective Action against Bank of Maharashtra as NPA mounts
The Reserve Bank of India has initiated prompt corrective action on Bank of Maharashtra placing restriction on the banking activities
- This is the sixth bank to be placed under PCA by the RBI. RBI has initiated PCA on Central Bank of India, IDBI Bank, UCO Bank, Dena Bank and Indian Overseas Bank. The move will restrict the bank from announcing dividend, opening branches, hiring and giving loans to companies rated below investment grade.
SBI, Tirumala Milk Products tie up for providing loans to dairy farmers
State Bank of India has entered into a tie-up with Tirumala Milk Products, a South- based company which was acquired by Groupe Lactalis in 2014, to provide loans to dairy farmers who supply milk to the latter.
External Affairs Minister inaugurates KIP for Young Overseas Indians
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has inaugurated Know India Programme (KIP) for NRI and PIO youth with a view to provide them with an exposure to the country of their origin so that they can understand India better and more closely. External Affairs Minister has also launched a portal for the Know India Programme (KIP).
President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates Bengaluru Namma Metro
President Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated the much-awaited underground section of the Green Line of Bengaluru’s Namma Metro train service.
Delhi’s CP 9th most expensive commercially
Connaught Place in New Delhi has been ranked the ninth-most expensive prime office market in the world — down from seventh last year — with an occupancy cost of $153.89 per square foot per annum, according to bi-annual Global Prime Office Occupancy Costs Survey of US-based CBRE.
- Hong Kong (Central) became the world’s highest-priced office market with an occupancy cost of $302.51 per sq foot per annum.
- Asia continues to dominate the list of the world’s most expensive office locations, accounting for seven of the top 10, according to the survey.
20 Indian firms in top 100 companies in Asia300 ranking
As many as 20 Indian firms have been named in the top 100 of Nikkei Asian Review’s Asia300 companies list, which was topped by Taiwan’s Largan Precision.
- Indian IT service provider HCL Technologies came in at the second place, followed by Zee Entertainment Enterprises and Tata Consultancy Services at the third and fourth place respectively.
Kannada poet Shivaprakash honoured
Noted Kannada poet and playwright H S Shivaprakash has been presented with the Kusumagraja Rashtriya Puraskar 2017.
- He writes in Kannada and English.
Syama wins Kerala’s 1st beauty pageant for transgenders
Syama Sanju was declared the Queen of Dhwayah, the winner at Kerala’s first ever beauty pageant for transgender women.
India ranks 137th in Global Peace Index 2017
India has been considered as one of the most peaceful nations in South Asia in 2017 and ranked at 137th globally in a latest survey.
- Iceland has been ranked first in the Global Peace Index 2017, making it the most peaceful nation around the globe.
- Bhutan, which ranked 13, has been named as the most peaceful country in South Asia.
- The Global Peace Index 2017 was prepared by the Australia-based Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP).
India to host AIIB’s 3rd annual meeting in 2018
India will host the third annual meeting of the China-initiated Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) in Mumbai, India, in June 2018.
- AIIB’s 2nd annual meeting held in Jeju Island, South Korea
- India is AIIB’s second-largest shareholder.
BRICS Foreign Ministers to meet in Beijing on June 18-19
The Russian Foreign Ministry has announced that the Foreign Ministers of BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) will meet in Beijing on June 18-19 2017.
106th International Labour Conference, 2017 Concluded
The 106th Session of International Labour Conference (ILC) was held from 5-16th June 2017 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Australia’s Vivid Sydney enters Guinness World Records for Maximum Number of light installations
The World’s largest festival of light, music and ideas, Vivid Sydney has entered into Guinness World Book of Records. The Guinness World Record have given the Vivid Sydney installation Dreamscape the title for the ‘Largest interactive lighting display’.
Amazon to buy Whole Foods for $13.7 billion
Online retail giant Amazon has announced that it is going to acquire Whole Foods Market, an American supermarket chain for $13.7 billion.
Unifier of Germany, Helmut Kohl dead
Former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl, who presided over reunification of his country divided after the Second World War in his longest-ever tenure has passed away.
Director John G. Avildsen dead at 81
American film Director John G. Avildsen, who won an Oscar for helming the original “Rocky” has passed away.
World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought: June 17
The World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is observed every year on June 17 to promote public awareness to combat desertification.
- World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought Theme 2017: “Our Land. Our Home. Our Future“.