Daily Current Affairs 18 December 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
GEM launches national outreach programme ‘GeM Samvaad’
GeM_IndiaGovernment e-commerce portal GeM has launched a national outreach programme, ‘GeM Samvaad’, to bring on-board more local sellers.
- The outreach programme will take place with stakeholders across the country and with local sellers to facilitate on-boarding of local sellers on the marketplace
Gujarat police was honoured with the Presidents Colours
Gujarat became the seventh state police force in India to be bestowed with the honour of the President’s Colours.
- President’s Colours is also called NISHAAN. Now, the emblem will be worn by all the police officers of Gujarat on the left-hand sleeve of their uniform.
Orange festival begins in Manipur
Chief Minister N. Biren Singh inaugurated the three-day state-level orange festival begins at district headquarters Tamenglong. Tamenglong district is largest producer of orange fruit in Manipur.
- The festival is organized by district administration, Tamenglong under the sponsorship of North Eastern Council and Government of Manipur.
MP: Five-day music festival ‘Tansen Samaroh’ begins in Gwalior
In Madhya Pradesh, popular classical music festival ‘Tansen Samaroh’ began with traditional style in Gwalior with the recitations of Harikatha and Milad. The five-day festival is celebrated every year in the memory of one of the most eminent singers of Indian history, ‘Mian Tansen’.
- It is the 95th year of the festival. Artistes from Greece, USA, Iran and Belgium will perform in different sessions of Tansen festival.
TN panchayat tops ranking under Mission Antyodaya scheme
Tamil Nadu’s Molugamboondi has topped the 2019 rankings of gram panchayats in the country, scoring high on implementation of development and infrastructure programmes under the Mission Antyodaya scheme.
- The second rank has gone to Bambhaniya GP of Bhavnagar in Gujarat while four more Gujarat panchayats are tied for third ranking. One in Maharashtra, two each of Punjab and Tamil Nadu, and five Gujarat panchayats are tied at fourth ranking.
Accessible India campaign’s deadline extended to March 2020
The deadline for the government’s Accessible India Campaign (AIC) has been extended to March 2020 due to slow progress. Accessible India Campaign also known as Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan, was launched by PM Modi on 3 December 2015, on the occasion of International Day of People with Disabilities (PwD).
Philippines to sign contract with India next year for BrahMos missiles
Philippines will sign a contract with India in the first or second quarter next year for two batteries of supersonic BrahMos cruise missiles.
- The missile, which can be fired from land, submarines, ships and fighter jets, will be acquired for the Philippine Army for coastal defence missions and for Air Force.
India successfully tests air-launched, land attack versions of BrahMos missile
Two BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles were successfully test-fired from a mobile launcher at a base off the coast of Odisha by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and targeted a ship.
- It was launched with most of the indigenous components including Missile Airframe, Fuel Management System and DRDO-designed Seeker
World’s first liquid hydrogen carrier ship launches in Japan
Japan’s Kawasaki Heavy Industries debuted the world’s first marine carrier that transports liquefied hydrogen, using technology that will vastly expand cargo capacity of the green energy source.
- Kawasaki will later add tanks that will carry the hydrogen. By liquefying hydrogen at minus 253 degrees Celsius, the cargo can be compressed to one-800th of its gaseous volume.
Turkey: Historic mosque moved before dam waters rise
In Turkey, the last remaining historical artifact has been removed from the ancient southeastern town of Hasankeyf ahead of its submergence as part of a dam project.
- The main body of the 610-year-old Er-Rızk mosque was removed from the 12,000-year-old town in a four-hour operation and transported to a cultural park where the town’s artefacts will be displayed.
BANKING & FINANCE
NEFT transactions made 24×7 from December 16
A bank account holder can now transfer any value of money online anytime with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) allowing the National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT) facility available for 24 hours a day throughout the year starting from December 16, 2019.
- Prior to this, people could transfer money online between 8 am and 6:30 pm on the days when banks were open.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Mastercard picks BharatPe for its Start Path program
Mastercard has selected BharatPe for its Start Path program. Bharat Pe is the only company from India selected by Mastercard as part of the latest cohort.
- BharatPe, along with six other tech startups, will get an opportunity to learn from and integrate with Mastercard’s network of experts, customers and partners.
India, ADB sign $250 million loan to expand energy efficiency investments
India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) have signed a 250 million dollar (about Rs 1,775 crore) loan to Energy Efficiency Services Ltd (EESL) to expand energy efficiency investments in India that will benefit agricultural, residential and institutional consumers.
- In addition, 46 million dollar (about Rs 326 crore) financing will be provided from the Clean Technology Fund to be administered by ADB.
England spinner Laura Marsh announces retirement
England spinner Laura Marsh announced her retirement from international cricket. In her 13-year long career, Marsh featured in 103 ODIs, 67 T20Is and 9 Tests and scalped 217 wickets across all formats.
- She is the most successful spinner in the history of English women’s cricket and third-highest wicket-taker in ODI.
Smriti Mandhana among four Indian players named in ICC Women’s ODI Team of the Year
Smriti Mandhana is among the four Indian players who have been named in the International Cricket Council (ICC) Women’s ODI Team of the Year. She has also been named in the ICC Women’s T20I Team of the Year.
- In ICC Women’s ODI Team of the Year, four Indian players feature in the squad: Smriti Mandhana, Shikha Pandey, Jhulan Goswami and Poonam Yadav.
- In ICC Women’s T20I Team of the Year, three Indian players feature in the squad: Smriti Mandhana, Deepti Sharma and Radha Yadav.
2020 Tokyo Olympics: Robots to greet, guide visitors at Haneda Airport
As the 2020 Tokyo Olympics edge closer, Haneda airport‘s operators have revealed that the robots will be greeting and guiding travellers.
- Four robots in Haneda Airport will be used and the main concept is security but the four robots will be divided into two groups. The first group is digital signage guiding robots and the second group is autonomous security robots that can operate and move by themselves.
Veteran actor Shreeram Lagoo passes away
Veteran actor and acclaimed theatre personality Shriram Lagoo has passed away in Pune. He was 92. Shreeram Lagoo, who has acted in over 100 Hindi and Marathi films, was an ENT surgeon. He has also worked in more than 40 Marathi, Hindi and Gujarati plays. A versatile personality and man of many talents, Lagoo also directed over 20 Marathi plays.
Danish-French veteran actress Anna Karina passes away
Danish-French veteran actress-singer Anna Karina, who became a symbol of French New Wave film movement, passed away in Paris at the age of 79.