Daily Current Affairs 18 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Seed sowing festival ‘Lui-Ngai-Ni’ celebrated at Ukhrul, Manipur
The Naga tribes of Manipur celebrated it’s seed sowing festival ‘Lui-Ngai-Ni’, under the theme “Oneness through Culture”, with much fanfare at Tangkhul Naga Long (TNL) ground in Ukhrul.
- Lui-Ngai-Ni is one of the biggest festivals of the Naga community in Manipur. The festival is marked by a plethora of cultural displays and events including the lighting of the sacred fire, blessing of seeds to be sown for the season.
Kerala CM launched ”Yodhavu” mobile app to combat drug menace
‘Yodhavu’ (Warrior), a mobile app through which public can inform police about drug abuse and its distribution, was launched by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan as part of efforts to curb the growing menace in the State.
- A special feature of the application, introduced by the Kochi city police, was that the informer’s identity could be kept secret.
Ambala city bus stand renamed after late Sushma Swaraj by Haryana Govt
The Ambala city bus stand was renamed after late external affairs minister and BJP veteran Sushma Swaraj .Rs 18 crore had been spent on the construction of the bus stand where all basic facilities would be provided to passengers.
- Swaraj was born in Ambala Cantt and was elected MLA twice from Ambala.
India to have 1st “Integrated Tri-services Command” by year 2020
The Chief of the Defence staff (CDS) General Bipin Rawat has announced the plan of establishing the first Integrated Tri-Services Command. The command is expected to be established by June 2020.
- The planned Integrated Tri-Services command will be headed by an Indian Air Force (IAF) officer
UP becomes first state to enforce Performance Regulation Act for power department
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government enforced the Performance Regulation Act 2019 for the power department , with an aim to provide timely and convenient service to the consumers.With this UP becomes first state to enforce this act.
- According to the notification issued by the government, the consumer would get Rs 50 per day if there is a delay in repairing the defective meter and also non-response by call centre
2020 UN Climate Summit ‘COP26′ to be held in Glasgow, UK in November
The 26th edition of the United Nations Climate Change Conference, or COP26, will be held in Glasgow, Scotland in November 2020 under the presidency of the UK government. The pre-COP will take place in Milan, Italy.
- 2020 is set to be a crucial year for action against climate change, as a radical change of pace is needed to achieve the Paris Agreement‘s targets.
Thailand hosts 13th Asian Business & Social Investor Forum 2020 & 4th Asia’s Greatest Brands & Leaders 2020
13th Edition of Asian Business & Social Investor Forum 2019-20 & 4th Edition – Asia’s Greatest Brands & Leaders 2019-20 held at The Marriott Marquis Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand.
- It was a magnificent event, highlighted by the diplomatic representations from 13 countries and Member of Parliament, Ms. Phetchompoo Kijburana, where some of the Asia’s Greatest leaders were recognised and felicitated for their outstanding contribution to the Asian economy and society.
- The next edition of Asian Business & Social Forum 2020 and 6th edition World’s Greatest Brands and Leaders 2019-20 to be held in June 2020 in Dubai
BANKING & FINANCE
India, World Bank sign USD 450 million loan agreement to improve groundwater management
The India government and the World Bank signed a USD 450 million loan agreement to support the national programme to arrest the country’s depleting groundwater levels and strengthen groundwater institutions.
- The World Bank-supported Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABHY) – National Groundwater Management Improvement Programme will be implemented in the states of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Haryana, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, and Uttar Pradesh and cover 78 districts.
Credai launched ‘Credai Awaas’ app to connect homebuyers with developers
“Realtors” apex body Credai launched an app ”Credai Awaas” was launched in Raipur by Mohammad Akbar, Minister of Transport, Housing and Enviroment, Forest and Law, Chattisgarh government.
- Thr app to connect homebuyers with its member developers to purchase properties.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Google to wind down free public WiFi service at rail stations
Five years after it started the ‘Station’ programme to bring free public Wi-Fi to 400 busiest railway stations in India, Google has decided to gradually wind down the service globally as it believes that better data plans and improving mobile connectivity have made it “simpler and cheaper” for users to get online.
- However, users in India will be able to continue using the existing facilities at the over 400 stations via RailTel, Google’s partner in India for the programme
Pole vaulter Armand Duplantis breaks own world record at Glasgow Indoor Grand Prix
American-born Swede Armand “Mondo” Duplantis has soared to another pole vault world record as he easily cleared 6.18m at the World Athletics Glasgow Indoor Grand Prix.
- The 20-year-old, a world silver medallist, had set the previous mark last Saturday by clearing 6.17m in Torun, Poland.
NADA bans javelin thrower Amit Dahiya for 4 years
In a “landmark” decision by the Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel of the NADA, Haryana’s Amit Dahiya has been banned for four years for evading dope sample collection by sending a proxy during the National Javelin Throw Open Championships last year.
- He has been banned for avoiding sample collection and for his attempt of trying to cheat officials during the 2nd National Javelin Throw Open Championship 2019 held at SAI Centre in Sonipat.
India, South Africa to host junior hockey World Cup 2021
India will host the men’s edition of the junior hockey World Cup 2021 while the women’s event will be held in Potchefstroom in South Africa, International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced
- It is the first time that the African continent will organise the pinnacle of junior hockey.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
NCLAT clears JSW Steel’s acquisition of Bhushan power for Rs 19,700 cr
The National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) has allowed JSW Steel to acquire Bhushan Power and Steel for Rs 19,700 crore under the insolvency law, providing immunity to the new owners from ongoing criminal proceedings against the erstwhile promoters of the company.
- This comes after the government recently amended Section 32A of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, providing immunity to the bidders and the insolvent company’s assets from investigation.
Laureus Awards 2020 Highlights: Tendulkar, Springboks win for World Cup wins; Hamilton, Messi share honours
The 2020 Laureus World Sports Awards were held in Berlin where Sachin Tendulkar, Lionel Messi, Lewis Hamilton, Simone Biles were among the winners across various categories.
The full list of winners is:
- Laureus World Sportsman of the Year: Lewis Hamilton and Lionel Messi
- Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year: Simone Biles
- Laureus World Team of the Year: South Africa Men’s Rugby Team
- Laureus World Breakthrough of the Year: Egan Bernal
- Laureus World Comeback of the Year: Sophia Flörsch
- Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Oksana Masters
- Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year: Chloe Kim
- Laureus Best Sporting Moment: ‘Carried on the shoulders of a nation’ – Sachin Tendulkar
- Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award: Dirk Nowitzki
- Laureus Academy Exceptional Achievement Award: Spanish Basketball Federation
- Laureus Sport for Good Award: South Bronx United
65th Amazon Filmfare Awards 2020 held in Guwahati, Assam
The 65th Amazon Filmfare Awards 2020. The grandest stage was hosted by Awesome Assam in the beautiful city of Guwahati for the first time.
Here is the list of winners:
- Best Film: Gully Boy
- Best Director: Zoya Akhtar for Gully Boy
- Best Film (Critics): Article 15 (Anubhav Sinha) and Sonchiriya (Abhishek Chaubey)
- Best Actor In A Leading Role (Male): Ranveer Singh for Gully Boy
- Best Actor (Critics): Ayushmann Khurrana for Article 15
- Best Actor In A Leading Role (Female): Alia Bhatt for Gully Boy
- Best Actress (Critics): Bhumi Pednekar and Taapsee Pannu for Saand Ki Aankh
- Best Actor In A Supporting Role (Female): Amruta Subhash for Gully Boy
- Best Actor In A Supporting Role (Male): Siddhant Chaturvedi for Gully Boy
- Best Music Album: Gully Boy (Zoya Akhtar-Ankur Tewari) and Kabir Singh (Mithoon, Amaal Mallik, Vishal Mishra, Sachet-Parampara and Akhil Sachdeva)
- Best Lyrics: Divine and Ankur Tewari for Apna Time Aayega (Gully Boy)
- Best Playback Singer (Male): Arijit Singh for Kalank Nahi
- Best Playback Singer (Female): Shilpa Rao for Ghungroo (War)
- Best Debut Director: Aditya Dhar for Uri: The Surgical Strike
- Best Debut Actor: Abhimanyu Dassani for Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota
- Best Debut Actress: Ananya Pandey for Student Of The Year 2 and Pati Patni Aur Woh
- Best Original Story: Article 15 – Anubhav Sinha and Gaurav Solanki
- Best Screenplay: Gully Boy- Vijay Maurya
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Ramesh Sippy
- Excellence In Cinema: Govinda
- RD Burman Award For Upcoming Music Talent: Sashwat Sachdev for URI
Former TMC MP Tapas Pal passes away
Bengali actor and former Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal passed away following a cardiac arrest. He was 61.
- Tapas started his career as a Bengali actor in the film ‘Dadar Kirti’ in 1980. He was awarded the Filmfare Award for his role in a movie ‘Saheb’ (1981). In 1984, he made his Bollywood debut in ‘Abodh’.
- He had contested and won the Lok Sabha elections on TMC ticket in 2014 and became a Member of Parliament from Krishnanagar constituency.
Disney’s ‘Queen of Katwe’ child actress Nikita Pearl Waligwa passes away
Nikita Pearl Waligwa, a Ugandan child actress who starred in a Disney movie onthe extraordinary life of a local chess prodigy, has died of brain tumour. She was 15.
- Nikita Pearl Waligwa, who appeared in the 2016 Disney film “Queen of Katwe”.
American actress Lynn Cohen passes away
‘Sex and the City’ actress Lynn Cohen died in New York. She was 86.
- The veteran screen and stage actress was best known for her role as Magda the housekeeper in the popular HBO series
- She appeared in 13 episodes between 2000 and 2004 and reprised her role in the 2008 “Sex and the City” movie and its 2010 seque
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Penguin published the Book Chanakya Niti: Verses on Life and Living translated by A.N.D. Haksar
A new book takes a look at the Chanakya Niti corpus as a whole through some of well-known aphorisms attributed to the ancient master of statecraft Kautilya.
- “Chanakya Niti: Verses on Life and Living” is translated from the original Sanskrit by long-time career diplomat A N D Haksar and published by Penguin Random House India.