Daily Current Affairs 18 February 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt approves implementation of Inter-Operable Criminal Justice System project
Government has approved the implementation of the Inter-Operable Criminal Justice System (ICJS) project during the period 2022-23 to 2025-26. The ICJS is a national platform for enabling integration of the main IT system used for the delivery of Criminal Justice in the country.
- The project will be implemented as a Central Sector Scheme at a total of 3,375 crore rupees. The phase two of the ICJS project will be a step towards ensuring effective and modern policing.
Government approves Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan scheme to continue till 31st March 2026
The Government has approved the scheme of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) for continuation till 31st March 2026. The proposal entails an expenditure of over 12 thousand 929 crore rupees. Education Ministry said, it has been envisaged to support around one thousand 600 projects under the new phase of the scheme.
- RUSA is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme, operating in mission mode for funding the state government universities and colleges to achieve the aims of equity, access, and excellence.
Govt approves continuation of Capacity Development Scheme till March 2026
Government has approved the continuation of the Capacity Development (CD) Scheme till 31st of March, 2026. Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation in a statement said that the outlay approved for the continuation of the Scheme during 15th Finance Commission cycle is 3 thousand 179 crore rupees.
- The Capacity Development Scheme is an Ongoing Central Sector Scheme of the Ministry with an overall objective to augment infrastructural, technical as well as manpower resources for enabling availability of credible and timely official statistics.
PM Modi inaugurates TERI’s World Sustainable Development Summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated The Energy and Resources Institute’s (TERI) latest edition of the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) that will deliberate on the planetary resilience in wake of the multitude of extreme weather events across the globe in the recent years.
- Curated on the theme ‘Towards a Resilient Planet: Ensuring a Sustainable and Equitable Future’, the experts at the Summit will confer on a range of pressing issues from climate change, sustainable production and energy transitions to global commons and resource security, among others.
NCB organises “Darkathon-2022” to find solutions to counter drug trafficking
The Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) organised a “Darkathon-2022” to find solutions to counter drug trafficking through darknet. The agency recently smashed three groups of drug peddlers that were operating on the network that is accessed through encryption software which enables anonymity of users.
- The prize money for the first winner is ₹2.50 lakh, the runner-up would get ₹2 lakh and the third winner ₹1.50 lakh. The consolation prize for the 4th and 5th place is ₹25,000 each. The online registration will continue till March 31 through https://ncb.cyberchallenge.in.
BANKING & FINANCE
Karnataka Bank honoured with IBA’s banking technology awards
Karnataka Bank has bagged three prestigious awards at the ‘17th annual banking technology conference and awards: 2020-21 Next Gen Banking’.
- The bank won the awards under the categories including ‘Best Technology Bank of the Year’, ‘Best Fintech Adoption’ and ‘Best Use of AI/ML and Data Analytics’ – all runner ups.
RBI extends timeline by six months for NBFCS to adhere new NPA recognition norms
The Reserve Bank of India extended the timeline by six months (September 30) for Non Banking Financial Companies to adhere to the new NPA recognition norms.
- Earlier the regulator had set March 31 deadline for non-bank lenders to upgrade NPAs only after all arrears and principal dues are paid.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
WPI inflation eases to 12.96% in Jan from 13.56% in the previous month
India’s wholesale price inflation rate eased in January but remained in double digits for the 10th consecutive month amid rising crude oil prices.
- Data released by the industry department showed wholesale price index (WPI)-based inflation rate decelerated to 12.96 per cent in January from 13.56 per cent in the preceding month.
Twitter partners with Paytm to boost ‘Tips’ feature in India
Twitter Inc has partnered with Paytm’s payment gateway to ramp up the support for its ‘Tips’ feature in India. Through ‘Tips’, users can send cash payments to their favourite content creators on the microblogging platform or small business owner.
- With Paytm Payments Services partnering with ‘Tips’, users will also be able to use a host of payment services provided by Paytm, including its Paytm digital wallet, Paytm Postpaid (buy-now-pay-later service), debit and credit cards, and net banking.
Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre lifts 15th CEC Cup Men’s Ice Hockey Championship 2022
Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre, LSRC, has lifted the 15th CEC Cup Men’s Ice Hockey Championship – 2022. In a seesaw final in NDS Indoor Ice Hockey rink, LSRC beat Indo Tibetan Border Police, ITBP by 3-2 goals.
Gaming app A23 signs Shah Rukh Khan as brand ambassador
A23, an app owned by online skill gaming company Head Digital Works, has announced that it has roped in Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan as its brand ambassador. The actor will feature in its ‘Chalo Saath Khele’ campaign along with a first-of-its-kind responsible gaming campaign, which showcases skill games such as rummy, fantasy sports, carom and pool.
Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar appointed as India’s first National Maritime Security Coordinator
Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar, former navy vice chief, took over as India’s first National Maritime Security Coordinator (NMSC), amid growing threats to coastal security and shifting power dynamics in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), where China is attempting to expand its sphere of influence.
- Kumar, an alumnus of Sainik School in Amaravathi Nagar, Tamil Nadu, and the National Defence Academy in Khadakvasla, Pune, was commissioned into the navy’s executive branch in July 1982. He stepped down as vice head of the navy last year.
‘Humane: How the United States Abandoned Peace and Reinvented War’ book by Samuel Moyn released”
A new book titled “Humane: How the United States Abandoned Peace and Reinvented War” authored by Samuel Moyn was released. Samuel Moyn is the Professor of Jurisprudence at Yale Law School and a professor of History at Yale University. This provocative book argues about the endless wars the USA created in the past including Vietnam War (1955-1975), Korean War (1950-1953), World War II (1939-1945) etc and this development might not represent progress at all.
“Dignity in a Digital Age: Making Tech Work for All of Us” book by Ro Khanna
A new book titled “Dignity in a Digital Age: Making Tech Work for All of Us” has authored by Ro Khanna released. The book highlights the effects of changing lifestyle patterns of Americans due to technological progress. It also mentioned about the digital divide i.e., unequal access to technology and revenue, as it is one of the most pressing issues faced by the United States.
Kannada litterateur Dr Chennaveera Kanavi passes away
Eminent Kannada literatteur Dr Chennaveera Kanavi passed away at the age of 94 following age-related complications, family sources said. Kanavi had penned more than 15 books, which were compilation of poems, collection of essays and various other books.
- The litterateur had won the Sahitya Akademi award for his book ‘Jeevadhwani’. Besides, he received the Rajyotsava Award, Pampa Award, Nadoja title, Nrupathunga award, Sahitya Bangara Award and several other awards.