Daily Current Affairs 18 June 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Railways, Railtel sign MoU to upgrade signalling system
The Railway Ministry release said that the Indian Railways signed the MoU with RailTel Enterprises Ltd (REL), a wholly-owned subsidiary company of RailTel Corporation of India Ltd, for modernization of signalling system on four sections, which includes Automatic Train Protection System with Long Term Evolution (LTE) based Mobile Train Radio Communication System (MTRC), together with provision of Electronic Interlocking (indoor) wherever required.
Agartala airport to be 3rd international airport in northeast
After Guwahati and Imphal, the Agartala airport is set to become the third international airport in the northeastern region by the end of this year or by early 2020.
- The Airport Authority of India (AAI) had undertaken a Rs 438 crore project to upgrade the Agartala airport to international standards by providing world-class facilities.
World Food India to be held from Nov 1-4 in New Delhi
The Union Minister for Food Processing Industries, Harsimrat Kaur Badal, said that the World Food India (WFI) 2019 will be held from November 1-4.
- She said it will be the biggest gathering of all global and domestic stakeholders in the food processing sector.
Facebook’s digital currency ‘Libra’ coming in 2020
Facebook, the social networking giant on Tuesday announced a digital wallet subsidiary called ‘Calibra’ that would launch Blockchain-powered cryptocurrency ‘Libra’ next year to help nearly one billion people globally who don’t have a bank account but do have a mobile phone.
- The new digital wallet for ‘Libra’ currency would be available in Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and as a stand-alone app in 2020. Facebook has tied up with 27 organizations around the world to start the non-profit Libra Association to create the new currency.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India to overtake China as world’s most populous nation by 2027: UN
India is projected to overtake China as the world’s most populous country around 2027, according to a UN report.
- The world’s population is expected to increase by two billion in the next 30 years, from 7.7 billion currently to 9.7 billion in 2050, said ‘The World Population Prospects 2019: Highlights’ published by the Population Division of the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs.
Fitch pegs India’s growth at 6.6% in 2019-20
Fitch Ratings saw India’s growth for FY 2019-20 at 6.6 per cent and 7.1 per cent in 2021-22.
- Fitch was optimistic on India’s growth, saying that the monetary and regulatory easing from the Reserve Bank of India, along with a recovery in portfolio inflows, should support a recovery in credit to the private sector and reverse the drag from the negative credit impulse.
FundzBazar launches ‘Selfiewala KYC’ feature for first-time mutual fund investors
Online mutual fund investment platform FundzBazar announced the release of its new feature called ‘Selfiewala KYC’ for first-time mutual fund investors.
- The feature is hassle-free and investors can complete their KYC process from the comfort of their home or office using mobile or laptop in just a few minutes.
Microsoft’s GitHub acquires collaboration tool firm
To review codes, Microsoft-owned GitHub has acquired a US-based start-up called Pull Panda that makes collaboration tools for software teams at an undisclosed amount.