Daily Current Affairs 18 October 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Education minister inaugurates IInvenTiv, all-IITs R&D
Union Minister for Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, inaugurated IInvenTiv, the first-ever all-IITs R&D Showcase at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.inaugurat
- The Education minister claimed that IITs are now used as catalysts for change. They serve as both a bridge to the future and a storehouse of information.
- IInvenTiv event will feature 75 projects, including 6 Showcase projects, on a variety of topics.The initiatives support the Make in India, Digital India, and Atmanirbhar Bharat visions.
Goa to host 9th World Ayurveda Congress & Arogya Expo
The 9th World Ayurveda Congress (WAC) & Arogya Expo, will be held in this capital city of Goa in December, seeking to give a transformational push to Ayurveda to bring it into global focus.
- Another objective of the event, being held in Goa for the first time, is to create an accessible and affordable healthcare system that is in harmony with modern medical practices.
- ‘Ayurveda for One Health’ is the focal theme of the December 8-11 event this year at Kala Academy, being organized by World Ayurveda Foundation, an initiative of Vijnana Bharati.
Tamil Nadu is the only State to achieve Jal Jeevan Mission target for 2022
Tamil Nadu has emerged as the only state in India which has achieved the target for 2022 Q1 and Q2 for Jal Jeevan Mission, with 69.57 lakh households provided with tap connections.
- Of the 1.25 crore households in Tamil Nadu, 69.57 lakh households have received tap connections till date. The percentage of households (55.63%) with tap connections in Tamil Nadu is higher than the national average of 53.96%. The target set by the Union government for Q1 and Q2 for 2022 was 12.1 lakh tap connections in Tamil Nadu.
- However, the State has provided 16.25 lakh tap connections, registering 134% of the target. The target set for 2022-2023 in the State is 28.48 lakh tap connections.
Three-day Kuchipudi dance festival concludes in Vijayawada
The three-day Kuchipudi Dance performance organised by Save Kuchipudi Artists, Jayaho Bharatiyam and the Department of Language and Cultural concluded on a grand note at Ghantasala Venkateswara Rao Government Music and Dance College,Vijayawada.
- Ardha Sankaram choreographed by vice-principal Siddendra Yogi Kalapeeth Kuchipudi and Mohini Bhasmasura choreographed by Chinta Ravi Balakrishna enthralled the audience.
- From 8 am to 8 pm, around 69 groups performed the Kuchipudi dance followed by a performance by 570 students on Vinayaka Kautham and Koluvaithiva themes
GoI approved 1st suspension bridge across Krishna river
The central government approved construction of an iconic cable stayed-cum-suspension bridge across Krishna river connecting Telangana and Andhra Pradesh and passing through the Nallamala forest range.
- The bridge has been approved by the central government at the total cost of ₹1,082.56 crore with a construction period of 30 months.
- The three-km-long bridge will reduce the distance between Hyderabad and Tirupati by 80 km.The hybrid structural arrangement in the bridge would give a structural advantage to it and make it economical as well as aesthetically pleasing.
NATO announced its annual nuclear exercise “Steadfast Noon”
NATO forces are set to kick off the annual ‘Steadfast Noon’ military exercise involving dozens of aircraft over north-western Europe that will demonstrate nuclear deterrence capabilities.
- The drills, which include military forces from at least 14 countries and up to 60 warplanes, including fourth and fifth-generation fighter jets, surveillance and tanker aircraft, will take place from October 17 to October 30.
- This exercise helps to ensure that NATO’s nuclear deterrent remains safe, secure and effective.
BANKING & FINANCE
Indian Army signs MoU with 11 banks for Agniveer salary accounts
In a major development, the Indian Army has signed memorandums of understanding (MoUs) with 11 Indian banks for providing banking facilities to Agniveers on enrolment under the Agnipath scheme. This was stated by the Ministry of Defence said.
- According to the ministry, the benefits extended under the Agniveer Salary package are similar to that of the defence salary package. The banks have also offered soft loans to the exiting Agniveers in order to promote and elevate their entrepreneurial skills.
- The names of the 11 banks that will provide banking facilities to Agniveers on enrolment are as follows – State Bank of India,Punjab National Bank,Axis Bank, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Bank of Baroda, Yes Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, IDFC First Bank,IDBI Bank and Bandhan Bank.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India will achieve $2 trillion export target by 2030: Piyush Goyal
Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal expressed confidence that the country will achieve the export target for goods and services to USD 2 trillion by 2030.The minister was speaking at the Exporters Conclave held at Chennai.
- Goyal emphasised on sustaining the export momentum and said that he is confident that Indian exports will be able to wither the global headwinds and will surpass growth in exports by a big margin.
- He also said that by 2047, the country will become a USD 30 trillion economy with 25 per cent share in exports.By the year 2030, exports from India will be USD 2 trillion, he said.
India’s WPI inflation falls to 10.7% in Sep from 12.41% in Aug
Wholesale price index (WPI)-based inflation eased in September to 10.70 per cent year-on-year. In August the WPI-based inflation came at 12.41 per cent, government data showed.
- Inflation in September, 2022 is primarily contributed by rise in prices of mineral oils, food articles, crude petroleum & natural gas, chemicals & chemical products, basic metals, electricity, textiles etc. as compared to the corresponding month of the previous year.
- The highest inflation was noted in high-speed diesel (HSD) at 65.96 per cent (YoY). It was followed by a 49.79 per cent rise in potato prices and a 44.72 per cent hike in crude petroleum and natural gas.
ICC tie-up with UNICEF to promote gender equality
The International Cricket Council has entered into a partnership with UNICEF to empower women and girls and promote inclusion and gender equality through cricket.
- The partnership will be activated in the upcoming T20 World Cup in Australia where all 16 nations will hold ‘Cricket 4 Good Coaching Clinics’ with up to 40 school children taking part in each one.
- The players will introduce the children to ‘Criiio 4 Good’, a cricket development curriculum as the participants will also learn more about gender equity and get to meet their cricketing heroes.