Daily Current Affairs 18 September 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Niti Aayog in tie-up with ISRO,CBSE launch ‘Space Challenge’ for school students
Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), Niti Aayog in collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) successfully launched the ATL Space Challenge 2021 for all school students across the country.
- This is to ensure that students of classes 6 to 12 are given an open platform where they can innovate and enable themselves to solve digital age space technology problems, it added.
- The ATL Space Challenge 2021 aligns with the World Space Week 2021 which is being observed from October 4-10 each year at the global level in order to celebrate the contributions of space science and technology.
Union Minister Devusinh Chauhan launches commemorative postal stamp in Srinagar
In the run up to the celebrations of 75th Azadi ka Amrit Mohatsav, Union Minister of State (MoS) for Communications, Devusinh Chauhan launched a commemorative postal stamp in the honour of Rao Jaimal Rathore on his 515th birth anniversary in Srinagar.
- Rathore was a Rajput warrior juice general of Chittorgarh who put up a defiant resistance against the vast Mughal army during its siege in 1567 to 1568.
Govt launches countrywide free telemedicine consultation cum drugs facility
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh launched countrywide free Telemedicine Consultation cum drugs facility on the occasion of birthday of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The Minister also announced that “JIGYASA”, a student-scientist connect programme of the Ministry of Science and Technology, will be extended to cover schools in over 700 districts of India within one year. The programme jointly executed with Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan is currently operational in 170 districts of the country.
Govt extends deadline for linking PAN and Aadhaar till March 2022
Government has extended the deadline for linking of PAN with Aadhaar by six months till March next year. Earlier, the time limit was 30th of this month.
- The due date for completion of penalty proceedings under the IT Act has also been extended from 30th of this month to March next year. The time limit for issuance of notice and passing of order by the Adjudicating Authority under the Prohibition of Benami Property Transactions Act has also been extended till March 2022.
Power ministry to set up district level committees for oversight on all power related schemes
Power ministry has decided to set up district level committees for oversight on all power related schemes. The committees will also look at the impact on the provision of power services to the people.
- This is being done in order to ensure the involvement and oversight of the people in the process of power sector reforms and their implementation across the country.
- The most senior Member of Parliament in the district will be the Chairperson of the committee. Other MPs in the district will be Co-chairpersons. District collector will be the Member Secretary and MLAs will be members.
Centre releases Rs 2,427 crore to 11 states for urban local bodies
Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance released an amount of 2,427 crore rupees to 11 states for the Urban Local Bodies. The amount released is the 1st installment of tied grants for the year 2021-22. These grants have been provided for the Non-Million Plus cities including Cantonment Boards.
- The 15th Finance Commission in its report for the period from 2021-22 to 2025-26 has divided the Urban Local Bodies into two categories. These are Million-Plus urban agglomerations/cities and all other cities and towns with less than one million population.
- Out of the total grants recommended by the Commission for Non-Million Plus cities, 40 percent is basic (untied) grant and the remaining 60 percent is as tied grant. Basic grants (untied) can be utilised for location specific felt needs except for payment of salary and incurring other establishment expenditure.
Railways launches Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana
Railways has launched Rail Kaushal Vikas Yojana, a programme under the aegis of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana. It empowers youth by way of providing entry-level training in industry relevant skills through Railway Training Institutes as part of 75 years of independence ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- The training will be provided to 50 thousand candidates over a period of three years. Initially, the training will be provided to one thousand candidates in four trades – Electrician, Welder, Machinist and Fitter. It will comprise of initial basic training of 100 hours.
- Candidates who are 10th pass and between 18 to 35 years shall be eligible to apply. Participants in the scheme will, however, have no claim to seek employment in Railways on the basis of this training.
UP CM Yogi Adityanath launches “UP Matra Bhumi Yojana”
The CM of Uttar Pradesh, Yogi Adityanath announced to launch of ‘Uttar Pradesh Matra Bhumi Yojana’to allows the direct participation of the common man in the development work of the state.
- The scheme will strengthen the participatory rural economy and infrastructure.
- Under the scheme, every person will be able to directly participate in various works of infrastructure development taking place in villages.
Meghalaya CM launches ‘MyMeG’ programme for better governance
In a bid to bring the citizens of Meghalaya closer to governance by promoting participatory democracy, the state government unveiled MyMeG programme to mark International Democracy Day.
- The programme has been designed with a vision to accelerate the developmental pace by engaging and empowering citizens and promoting participatory governance.
- The program intends to connect to the people through digital and face-to-face modes.
BANKING & FINANCE
HSBC India launches solution for cross-border transactions
HSBC India has launched a digital proposition aimed at simplifying cross-border transactions.
- Called HSBC UniTransact, it aims to provide seamless integration of all aspects of transaction banking while minimising manual intervention through the transaction journey.
- It It provides a range of benefits, including a comprehensive dashboard, real-time status throughout the life-cycle of all the cross border transactions, online discrepancy resolution, efficient management of documentation, alerts and notifications and seamless execution.
UNDP, HDFC and Greater Noida Authority ink pact for dry waste management facility
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), HDFC Bank and the Greater Noida Industrial Development Authority (GNIDA) inked a pact to set up a facility for to manage up to 300 metric tonnes of dry waste in the city every month.
- The material recovery facility (MRF) in Greater Noida will come up at a cost of Rs 3 crore and will be funded by the HDFC bank through its corporate social responsibility programme Parivartan.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Amazon launches Kisan Store for farmers on Amazon.in
Amazon India has launched the Kisan (farmer) store that will make agri-inputs such as seeds, farm tools and accessories, available to buyers at competitive prices with the added convenience of delivery at their doorstep.
- Farmers can choose to shop for thousands of agri-input products from over 20 brands on Amazon.in using any of the five Indian languages including Hindi, Telugu, Kannada, Tamil, and Malayalam.
- Farmers can also visit any one of the over 50,000 Amazon Easy stores across the country and avail assisted shopping facility.
Vodafone Idea, Celltick join hands to deploy public alert and warning system in Andhra Pradesh
Vodafone Idea (Vi) said it has joined hands with Celltick, a provider of cell broadcast-based products and public warning systems, to deploy an Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) for the Andhra Pradesh State Disaster Management Authority (APSDMA).
- The IPAWS will deliver real-time geo-targeted warning alerts in more than 10 Indian languages during any natural or man-made disasters to Vi subscribers in the Andhra Pradesh circles, as well as, domestic/international roaming customers on Vi’s AP network.
TCS 2nd Indian company after RIL to cross Rs 13 lakh crore m-cap
Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) became the second listed company and the first information technology (IT) firm to cross the Rs 13 lakh crore market capitalisation after the IT share hit a record high.
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries with market cap of Rs 13.71 lakh crore was the top ranked firm in terms of market cap in trade.
- TCS stock touched an intraday high of Rs 3,560.25, rising 2.55% against previous close on BSE.
Fossil names Kriti Sanon as its brand ambassador for India
The American watches and accessories firm, Fossil, has appointed Indian Bollywood actor Kriti Sanon as its newest celebrity brand ambassador in India.
- The company said the actor’s optimism and organic take on fashion is closely aligned with Fossil’s dedication to authenticity and creative spirit.
12-yr-old Mumbai boy wins 2021 International Young Eco-Hero award for project to save Powai Lake
A 12-year-old environmental activist from Mumbai has been named as a 2021 International Young Eco-Hero in recognition of his efforts to solve tough environmental problems.
- Ayaan Shankta won the third place in the 8-14 age category for his project Conservation and Rehabilitation of Powai Lake.
- He is one of the 25 young environmental activists from across the globe honoured by the Action For Nature (AFN) as a 2021 International Young Eco-Hero, an award that recognizes eco-conscious youth aged 8 to 16 who are taking crucial steps to solve tough environmental problems.
Famous Sirarakhong Chilli & Tamenglong Orange of Manipur receive GI tag
Manipur Chief Minister, N. Biren Singh has announced that the famous Sirarakhong Chilli and Tamenglong Orange have now received the Geographical Index (GI) tag. He made the announcement while speaking at the inaugural function of the Van Dhan Vikas Kendra (VDVK) Mela, 2021, organised by the State Forest Department.
- Prior to the inauguration of the fair, the Chief Minister also inaugurated a VDVK Outlet and Extension Centre at Forest Department Head Office, Sanjenthong, where products manufactured by different Vandhan Kendras of the State are showcased and sold.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
J&K LG launches Senior Citizens National Helpline “Elderline” 14567
In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha launched the Senior Citizens National Helpline ”Elderline”-14567 in J&K, at Raj Bhavan, Jammu.
- The ElderLine will serve as a vital support system to comfort the distressed elderly through a dedicated Decentralized Call Center, extending emotional care and support, health services, and other aids to needy senior citizens.
- This toll-free helpline will fill a crucial gap in the institutionalized Eldercare Ecosystem in the UT.
BHEL Commissions India’s Largest Floating Solar Plant in Andhra Pradesh
State-owned BHEL announced the commissioning of India’s largest floating solar photovoltaic plant in Andhra Pradesh.
- Located at NTPC Simhadri in Andhra Pradesh, the 25-megawatt floating SPV project covers an area of 100 acres, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) said without disclosing the project cost.
- The project will help saving valuable land resources and conserving water by reducing evaporation.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Translating Myself and Others” book by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Pulitzer Prize-winning noted fiction writer, Jhumpa Lahiri, is set to launch her new book titled ‘Translating Myself and Others’, which will highlight her work as a translator. The new book is planned to be out in Spring 2022.
- It will be a collection of essays that reflect Lahiri’s experiences on the meaning of translation, translating her own writing, and writing across languages.
- The book will be published by Princeton University Press.
“Human Rights and Terrorism in India” book by Subramanian Swamy
The book titled ‘Human Rights and Terrorism in India’ written by BJP MP Subramanian Swamy has been released recently.
- The book traces how the combating of terrorism can be harmonised with human and fundamental rights within reasonable restrictions that are permitted by the Constitution and upheld by the Supreme Court.