Daily Current Affairs 19 April 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Radio Aksh: India’s 1st Internet Radio for Visually Challenged launched in Nagpur
Radio Aksh, the country’s first radio channel exclusively meant for the visually challenged, was launched in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- Nagpur’s 96-year-old institution, The Blind Relief Association Nagpur (TBRAN) and Samdrushti Kshamata Vikas Avam Anusandhan Mandal (Saksham) are the organisations behind this idea. The channel will be available on various internet radio platforms for free.
- To be run 24×7, Radio Aksh would initially have six hours of content that would be repeated four times during the day.
NITI Aayog plans to launch National Data and Analytics Platform in May to provide govt data in user-friendly format
The NITI Aayog is planning to launch a National Data and Analytics Platform (NDAP) in May to provide government data in a user-friendly format, to promote data-driven decision making and research. Conceived in 2020, the platform aims to standardise data across government sources and provide flexible analytics that make it easy for users to analyse information using multiple datasets.
- The portal will help policymakers, academics and researchers to easily analyse data without having to process it. The portal will have 200 datasets from more than 46 ministries at the time of the launch.
SpaceX launches NROL-85 spy satellite for U.S. National Reconnaissance Office
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launched a U.S. National Reconnaissance Office spy satellite into orbit April 17 from Vandenberg Space Force Base, California.
- The payload, designated NROL-85, was the agency’s second mission of the year and the second orbital launch of 2022 from the Western Range.
- After separation from the upper stage, the rocket’s first stage landed back at Landing Zone 4 about eight minutes after liftoff. This was the 114th booster successfully recovered by SpaceX.
IMF unveils new trust to help ‘vulnerable’ countries
The IMF plans to raise at least $45 billion for a new trust to help “low-income and vulnerable middle-income countries” cope with protracted challenges like pandemics and climate change.
- The Washington-based crisis lender’s Resilience and Sustainability Trust (RST) will come into effect May 1, and is in addition to a $650 billion boost to reserve assets called Special Drawing Rights (SDR) allocated earlier this year.
China launches Zhongxing-6D satellite
China successfully sent a new satellite into space from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China’s Sichuan Province. The satellite, Zhongxing-6D, was launched by a Long March-3B carrier rocket and entered the planned orbit successfully.
BANKING & FINANCE
IndusInd Bank bags global ‘Celent Model Bank’ Award for its Enterprise Payments Hub (EPH) initiative
IndusInd Bank has announced that it has been awarded the global ‘Celent Model Bank’ award under the category – ‘Payments System Transformation’ for building a best-in-class Enterprise Payments Hub (EPH).
- The award acknowledges the Bank’s outstanding journey in creating a cloud-based central payments hub that is capable of seamlessly processing high transaction loads originating across all forms of payment instructions, and across all originating client touchpoints.
- The ‘Celent Model Bank’ is awarded for best practices of technology usage in different areas, that are critical to success in banking, and is the main award that a financial institution can receive from Celent – a leading research and advisory firm focused on technology for financial institutions, globally. With this, IndusInd Bank has joined ranks with a few other banks globally, who have been conferred with this award.
Centre amends FEMA rules to allow 20% FDI in LIC
The government has amended rules of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), paving the way for up to 20 per cent foreign direct investment in the insurance behemoth LIC.
- The government is planning to dilute its stake in LIC through the the Initial Public Offering (IPO). LIC in February had filed the Draft Red Herring Prospectus (DRHP) before the markets regulator Sebi for the IPO.
- “These rules may be called the Foreign Exchange Management (Non-debt Instruments) (Amendment) Rules, 2022,” said a gazette notification issued recently.
- Setting the stage for the country’s biggest-ever public offering, Sebi has approved the draft prospectus for sale of a 5 per cent stake by the government for an estimated Rs 63,000 crore.
RBI certifies fintech led 121 Finance as India’s first NBFC-Factor, after revised Registration of Factors Regulations (2022)
121 Finance becomes India’s first fintech-led NBFC-Factor to receive the Certificate of Registration under Registration of Factors (Reserve Bank) Regulations, 2022. The NBFC-Factor addresses the most significant challenge most businesses suffer from, i.e., arranging short-term funds for MSMEs, without any collateral.
- Until now, Factoring was offered only to the large corporates; however, 121 Finance has brought factoring to the Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and has its roots ground deep in FinTech. MSMEs are actively seeking alternate sources of Working Capital, especially since the banks are moving out of cash credit limits for small businesses.
Indian GM Gukesh wins title at La Roda International tourney
Young Indian Grandmaster D Gukesh emerged victorious in the 48th La Roda International Open Chess tournament, scoring eight points from nine rounds.
- The 15-year old GM from Chennai, who remained unbeaten through the nine rounds, defeated Israel’s Victor Mikhalevski in the final round to emerge a clear winner ahead of Haik M Martirosyan of Armenia, who secured 7.5 points.
Tsitsipas defeats Davidovich Fokina, defends Monte Carlo Title
Stefanos Tsitsipas successfully defended his Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters title, dispatching Spaniard Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 6-3, 7-6(3) to capture his second ATP Masters 1000 crown.
Atomic energy panel chief Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas gets 1-yr extension
The government has granted an extension of one year to Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas.
- The appointment committee of the Cabinet has approved the extension in service to Vyas for a period of one year beyond May 3, 2022 or “until further orders”, read a statement from the personnel ministry.