Daily Current Affairs 19 August for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Indian Railways: Cabinet approves 7 multi-tracking projects amounting to nearly ₹32,500 crore The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved Seven projects of the Ministry of Railways with an estimated cost of around Rs.32,500 Crore, with 100% funding from Central Government.
- The proposals of Multi-tracking will ease operations and reduce congestion, providing the much-required infrastructural development on the busiest sections across Indian Railways.
- The projects covering 35 districts in 9 States i.e. Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Odisha, Jharkhand and West Bengal will increase the existing network of Indian Railways by 2339 Kms. and will provide employment of 7.06 crore man-days to the people of the states.
India gets its first 3D-printed post office in Bengaluru
Union Railways Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw inaugurated India’s first 3D-printed post office building in Bengaluru. The 3D-printed post office building at Cambridge Layout in the city is a built-up area of 1,021 square feet.
- The building was constructed by Larsen and Toubro, with technical guidance from IIT Madras, at a cost of Rs 23 lakh. Though the project was supposed to be completed by September last year it was extended to May, 2023.
India signs MoU with Trinidad and Tobago for sharing India Stack solutions
India and Trinidad and Tobago have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on sharing of INDIA STACK — a collection of open APIs and digital public goods that aim to facilitate identity, data, and payment services on a large scale.
- Both sides agreed to cooperate in the areas of digital transformation by means of capacity building, training programmes, exchange of best practices, exchange of public officials and experts, development of pilot or demo solutions, etc.
AI based Bhashini integrated with CPGRAMS portal for grievance redressal in local languages
The Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) released the Centralized Public Grievance Redressal and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) 12th monthly report for States for July, 2023.
- A total of 69,523 Grievances were redressed by States and Union Territories in July, 2023. The pendency of grievances of States/UTs received on CPGRAMS portal has reduced to 1,79,077 grievances across the States/UTs Governments.The top performers among States/UTs are Sikkim(North Eastern States) and Lakshadweep(Union Territories ) The Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) released the Centralized Public Grievance Redressal and Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) 12th monthly report for States for July, 2023.
- DARPG has integrated the AI based language tool, Bhashini with the CPGRAMS portal. This integration would facilitate the Grievance Redressal Officers (GROs) to translate the regional language grievance texts into English and the complainants will have the option to view the final reply in both English and the translated native language, ensuring better understanding and communication between the citizen and the concerned authorities.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI launches UDGAM portal for searching unclaimed deposits across multiple banks
The Reserve Bank of India launched a centralised Web portal, UDGAM (Unclaimed Deposits Gateway to Access Information), for members of the public to make it easier to search their unclaimed deposits across multiple banks at one place.
- UDGAM, which was launched by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das, will aid users in identifying their unclaimed deposits and accounts and enable them to either claim the deposit amount or make their deposit accounts operational at their respective banks.
- RBI had announced the development of a centralised web portal for searching unclaimed deposits as part of the Statement on Developmental and Regulatory Policies dated April 6, 2023.
SMC Capitals ties up with Translink Corporate Finance to increase global footprint
SMC Capitals, an investment bank, has announced collaboration with Translink Corporate Finance, a global mergers and acquisition group, to offer Indian companies a global platform for cross-border M&A opportunities.
- This new partnership with Translink Corporate Finance will allow SMC to open a myriad of opportunities for Indian companies seeking global alliances through Translink’s strong presence across Europe, Asia and the Americas.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Cricket Australia ropes in HCLTech for digital transformation
HCLTech said it has been chosen by Cricket Australia (CA), the national governing body for the game in Australia, for the next phase of CA’s digital transformation.
- Through the engagement, HCLTech would implement automation, analytics including AI and ML, and DevOps to ensure that the Cricket Australia Live and PlayCricket apps maintained their top spot for cricket fans across the country, the company said in a press conference.
Top Odisha sprinter Dutee Chand gets four-year dope ban
Double Asian Games silver medallist Dutee Chand who has been handed a four-year ban for failing dope tests has urged the Odisha Government and the Centre for help so that she can represent India in various competitions.
- The National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) has been banned for four years for failing two out-of-competition dope tests for a banned substance in December last year.
Centre assigns additional charge: Faiz Kidwai named NRAA CEO, Anuradha Thakur to be director SFIO
Faiz Ahmed Kidwai, Additional Secretary in the Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, has been retrospectively appointed to the additional role of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) at the National Rainfed Area Authority (NRAA).
- Mr. Kidwai’s extended responsibility for a duration of nine months starting from 05.06.2023, or until the appointment of a new CEO, or until further notice, whichever occurs earlier.
- Ms. Anuradha Thakur , Additional Secretary in the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, has been granted an extension of additional responsibility as Director of the Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) for an additional six-month period.
R. Seshadri appointed new MD & CEO of South Indian Bank
The Reserve Bank of India has approved the appointment of P. R. Seshadri as the Managing Director and CEO of the Thrissur based South Indian Bank.
- The appointment will be for a period of three years with effect from October 1.
- He has served as, amongst other positions as, MD & CEO of The Karur Vysya Bank Limited (KVB), MD & Regional Sales and Distribution Head, Citibank N.A., Asia Pacific, Singapore and so on.