Daily Current Affairs 19 May 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
GSI Report: Arunachal Has Highest 35% of India’s Graphite Deposits
The Geological Survey of India (GSI) in its report said that about 35% of India’s total Graphite reserves are found in Arunachal Pradesh. This is the highest found in the country. The GSI presented the said data during its annual interactive meeting with the Department of Geology and Mining & Industries, Government of Arunachal Pradesh in Itanagar.
- With 35% of India’s Graphite deposits being found in Arunachal Pradesh, the State could now be developed as the leading producer of graphite in the country thus helping in meeting its future needs.
Indian Coast Guard Ship Vigraha Decommissioned
Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) Vigraha, a frontline offshore patrol vessel, sailed into history at the sunset recently. After 29 glorious years of service from 1990 to 2019, the ship was decommissioned at the coast guard jetty in Visakhapatnam.
- ICGS Vigraha was the seventh offshore patrol vessel built by the Mazagaon Dock Limited, Mumbai and it was commissioned on April 12, 1990.
26th edition of Singapore India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX) held in Singapore
INS Kolkata and INS Shakti of the Indian Navy participated in a 3-day Asia Pacific naval and maritime event titled the International Maritime Defence Exhibition Asia (IMDEX Asia-2019) held in Changi Exhibition Centre, Singapore.
- Deputy Chief of Naval Staff, Vice-Admiral M S Pawar, led the delegation to the Asia Pacific gathering of the event. SIMBEX scheduled from 16th May 2019 to 22th May 2019, is the longest uninterrupted naval exercise that India has with any other nation.
- Extra info.:
Singapore capital: Singapore city
Currency: Singapore dollar
Italy launches anti-competition probe against Google
Joining the Competition Commission of India (CCI) and the European Union (EU), Italy’s antitrust authority has become the latest international regulatory body to launch an anti-competition investigation against Google.
- The probe was prompted after Italy-based energy company Enel Group complained that Google was not allowing the “Enel X Recharge” app to work with Android Auto Google’s smart driving companion.
Since “Enel X Recharge” is intended to help drivers find charging stations for electric cars, the app does not necessarily require a messaging feature.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Bajaj Finserv, through its lending arm Bajaj Finance Ltd launched ‘Mumbai Local Train Cover’
Bajaj Finserv said it has launched a specialised insurance cover for passengers travelling in local trains in country’s financial capital Mumbai. The travellers will get an insurance cover of Rs 1 lakh against a payment of Rs 399 per annum.
- The ‘Mumbai Local Train Cover’ insurance policy was introduced through lending arm Bajaj Finance, and will provide coverage in case of mishap during a train journey.
Germany’s Double Olympic biathlon champion Laura Dahlmeier retires
Germany‘s double Olympic biathlon champion Laura Dahlmeier announced her retirement at the age of just 25 after struggling with health issues. She has won seven world championship gold medals, and last year in Pyeongchang she became the first female biathlete to win both the sprint and the pursuit at the same Olympics.
- Dahlmeier took a two-month break to recover from illness in October, before returning to win the 12.5km mass start at the World Cup event in Antholz last January.
Himalaya MEN names Virat Kohli and Rishabh Pant as its brand ambassadors
India cricket captain Virat Kohli and emerging wicket-keeper batsman Rishabh Pant has been named as new official brand ambassadors of the country’s leading wellness firm, the Himalaya Drug Company.
- Himalaya has signed Kohli and ICC Emerging Player of the Year 2018, Pant to promote its ‘Men Face Care Range’.
UNDRR Confers Dr P.K. Mishra With Sasakawa Award 2019
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) conferred Sasakawa Award 2019 for Disaster Risk Reduction to Dr. Pramod Kumar Mishra, Additional Principal Secretary to Prime Minister of India.
- The award was announced at the Award Ceremony during the ongoing 6th Session of Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) 2019 at Geneva.
Ronaldo wins ‘Serie A Player of the Year’ award
Juventus star striker Cristiano Ronaldo was awarded the ‘Serie A Player of the Year’ award. This is a remarkable feat for the Portuguese international as he has won the award in his very first season in Italy.
- With this win, Ronaldo has now won the domestic player of the year award in England, Spain, and Italy. Ronaldo has been awarded five Ballons d’Or, which sees him tied with Lionel Messi for the most in history. Ronaldo has also won the league championships in these countries.
Kapil Sharma feted by World Book of Records
Comedian-actor Kapil Sharma has been acknowledged as the most viewed stand-up comedian in India and abroad by the World book of Records London.
- Having starting his career as a stand-up comedian, Kapil initially performed on several comedy shows . But it was his separate show “Comedy Nights With Kapil” which brought him immense fame.
Stand-Up comedian Sammy Shore passes away at 92
Veteran stand-up comedian Sammy Shore passed away at the age of 92 recenty. Shore, in his 70-year-long career, founded The Comedy Store in partnership with Rudy De Luca.
- The comedian performed in many one-man shows and made cameos in films including ‘Jerry Lewis the bellboy’, ‘Mel Brooks’, ‘Life Stinks’ and television series ‘Sanford and Son’.
National Dengue Day
May 16 is observed as National Dengue Day. An attempt of the Ministry of Healthy and Family Welfare, National Dengue Day is meant to raise awareness about dengue and its preventive measures. Dengue is caused by the bite of Aedes mosquito which is infected by one or more of the dengue viruses.
- This mosquito usually bites in daylight. The infection develops after 3 to 14 day of being bit by the infected mosquito. The only way to prevent dengue is to prevent mosquito bites.