Daily Current Affairs 19 September 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India’s first terminal for private jets inaugurated at Delhi Airport
Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurated India’s first General Aviation Terminal at Delhi airport. The exclusive terminal will handle the flight operations of private jets.
- With the facility, Delhi Airport marks a milestone of setting up high-end infrastructure for passengers.
- The terminal has 57 parking bays and can handle up to 150 private jet flights per day.
Indian government forms expert panel to examine alleged Chinese snooping on politicians
The government has formed the panel to study reports of surveillance of Indians by Chinese firm Zhenhua Data. The committee is headed by the National Cyber Security coordinator Lt Gen Rajesh Pant.
- The expert group will also evaluate the implications of these reports, assess any violations of law and submit its recommendations within 30 days.
Centre sets up high-level committee to prepare roadmap for regularisation of land leasing in agri sector
The Centre has set up a high-level committee to prepare a roadmap for regularisation of land leasing in the agriculture sector, eager to push through a reform that would lay down the rights of landless farm workers who miss out on welfare benefits.
- The committee, to be headed by Shri Ajay Tirkey, the secretary of the department of land resources under the ministry of rural development, will submit its report to a group of ministers on the model legislation on land leasing.
UP CM Announces To Set Up Country’s ‘Biggest’ Film City In Noida
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announced to set up the country’s “biggest” film city in the state’s Gautam Buddh Nagar.
- This film city will provide a better alternative to the film producers and, at the same time, will be very useful in terms of employment generation.
Gujarat Chief Minister announces subsidy schemes for e-scooters, rickshaws
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has announced an assistance scheme to encourage use of battery-operated two-wheelers and three-wheelers in the state.
- Gujarat Government will provide subsidy of 12,000 rupees to school students studying in Standard-9th to colleges for battery-operated two-wheelers.
- Government is targeting to provide such subsidies for 10,000 such vehicles.
- Similarly, a subsidy of 48,000 rupees will be given for three-wheeler e-rickshaw for individual and institutional beneficiaries. This subsidy will be given for 5,000 e-rickshaw.
Karnataka Govt launches “Arthika Spandana”, loan disbursal programme
Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa launched the “Arthika Spandana” programme of disbursing loans to the tune of ₹ 39,300 crore through various cooperative institutions.
- Under this scheme, ₹15,300 crore would be disbursed to the agriculture sector while a sum of ₹24,000 crore would be earmarked for the non-agricultural sector.
BANKING & FINANCE
ICICI Home Finance launches home loan scheme for skilled workers in Delhi
ICICI Home Finance has launched a new loan scheme named ‘Apna Ghar Dreamz’, with credit amount in the range of Rs 2 lakh to 50 lakh, for skilled workers employed in the informal sector in Delhi.
- It is a first-of-its-kind home loan product with focus on people who have never taken a loan before, or have a good history of repaying loans but do not have formal documents.
- Customers seeking to avail the special 20-year tenure loan would need to provide documents such as PAN and Aadhaar details, and bank statement of past six months. The customers should have a minimum account balance of Rs 1,500 for loan up to 5 lakh and Rs 3,000 for loan above 5 lakh under the age 30 years to 70 years
Canara Bank introduces i-Lead 2.0 to boost customer services
To provide its services to customers irrespective of where they reside, public sector lender Canara Bank has launched lead management system (LMS) – i-Lead 2.0 (Inspiring Leads System version 2.0).
- This new initiative is being introduced with the motive of building and sustaining business relationships with both new customers to bank and existing customers to bank.
- Customers can use internet banking, mobile banking, call centre, SMS and missed call services to enquire and get services rendered to them. They can also use CANDI mobile app of Canara Bank
KVGB launches special gold loan scheme for pandemic
The Dharwad-headquartered Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) has launched a special gold loan scheme Vikas Laghu Suvarna with a reduced interest rate of 7.25 per cent.
- Under this scheme, the bank is giving 80 per cent of the market value of the gold subject to a maximum of ₹,3200 a gram. A maximum loan of up to ₹15 lakh will be provided. The loan is repayable within six months.
IFC to provide two trillion dollars to India to develop green buildings
The International Finance Corporation has said that 2 trillion dollars will be provided to India to develop green buildings, improve public transport and to expand renewable sources of energy.
- It was announced by IFC’s Country Head Jun Zhang at the “e-DIALOGUE on Ease of Living and Sustainable Development Goals-2020-21″ held in Mumbai.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
OECD forecast a deeper contraction of 10.2% for India in the current fiscal
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) forecast a deeper contraction of 10.2% for India in the current fiscal, surpassing its June estimate of -7.3% in the event of a second wave of infections, in its Interim Economic Outlook report released recently.
- While the OECD raised its expectations for global output to -4.5% in 2020 against -6% earlier based largely on improvements in China and US, it cited the prolonged spread of the virus for the downgrade in India’s growth.
Deputy NSA Pankaj Saran Gets One-year Extension
The Central Government extended the tenure of Deputy National Security Adviser Pankaj Saran for one year.
- Mr. Saran is a 1982 batch officer of the Indian Foreign Service and was appointed Deputy NSA in May 2018. He was then serving as India’s envoy to Russia.
- Saran previously held different positions, including the country’s High Commissioner to Bangladesh and has also served as the Joint Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office between 2007 and 2012 during the UPA regime
Book titled ‘AZADI by’ Arundhati Roy released
The book titled ‘Azadi: Freedom. Fascism. Fiction.‘, has been authored by Booker Prize-winning author Arundhati Roy was released recently.
- The book has been published by the Penguin Books Ltd.
- In the book, the author challenges us to reflect on the meaning of freedom in a world of growing authoritarianism, especially during the time of Coronavirus Pandemic.
A Promised Land, Barack Obama’s first memoir volume, set to release
The first volume of former President Barack Obama’s memoir ‘A Promised Land’ is set to release on 17 November.
- The book will cover his swift and historic rise to the White House and his first term in office.
- The 768-page book is the most anticipated presidential memoir in memory, as much or more because of the quality of the writing than for any possible revelations.
Veteran Tamil Director Babu Sivan passes away
Tamil director Babu Sivan passed away at Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital in Chennai, following multiple organ failure. He was 54.
- Babu Sivan began his career by assisting director Dharani, who helmed films like Ghilli and Kurvi with Vijay. Later, he made his directorial debut with Vettaikaaran in 2009.
Lok Sabha MP Balli Durga Prasad Rao passes away
Tirupati Lok Sabha MP Balli Durga Prasad Rao, who was battling Covid-19 for over a month, died at a hospital in Chennai. He was 65.
- A lawyer, Rao started his political career as a member of TDP and became an MLA for the first time in 1985. He joined the YSRC ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
- Rao was School Education Minister in the Chandrababu Naidu Cabinet in the undivided Andhra Pradesh during 1995-96.
- He was elected to the state assembly from Gudur in Nellore District in 1985, 1994 and 2009.
Former Madhya Pradesh Minister Ramakant Tiwari passes away
Former Madhya Pradesh minister Ramakant Tiwari died at his residence in Chakghat after prolonged illnesses. He was 80.
- He had represented Teonthar assembly seat four times and served as animal husbandry minister in the BJP government headed by Uma Bharti.
Naznin Faruque, former RS member passes away
Former Rajya Sabha MP from Assam, Naznin Faruque passed away . She was 66. A social worker, Faruque represented Assam in the Upper House from April 2010 to April 2016.
Akshay Kumar, Founder and Director of Ice Hockey India passes away
The founder and former general secretary of the Ice Hockey Association of India, Akshay Kumar, passed away at the age of 51.
- Akshay Kumar became the organization’s first General Secretary in 2002 and held the position until 2013 and continued to be involved as a director.
- Kumar was also a delegate for India at IIHF congresses until 2015.He led the Ice Hockey Association of India for many years.
World Bamboo Day
World Bamboo Day is observed on September 18 every year to increase the awareness of bamboo globally to protect natural resources and the environment.
- The theme for 11th edition of World Bamboo Day 2020 is ‘BAMBOO NOW.’
International Equal Pay Day
International Equal Pay Day, every year on 18th September under an initiative by the UN, aims at highlighting the importance of achieving equal pay for work of equal value.
- Theme of International Equal Pay Day 2020 is ‘Building back a better future of work by ensuring pay equity’.
World Water Monitoring Day
World Water Monitoring Day was originally celebrated annually on September 18 to build public awareness and involvement in protecting water resources around the world.
- This year’s theme for World Water Monitoring Day 2020 is ‘Solve Water.’