Daily Current Affairs 19th June 2017
Govt ropes in Amitabh Bachchan to promote GST
The government has roped in Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan to promote Goods and Services Tax (GST), ahead of the sweeping tax reform’s implementation scheduled from July 1.
- In the video, Bachchan explains GST as an unifying force just like the three colours in the national flag.
- Ace badminton star PV Sindhu was previously the GST ambassador.
Dr. Harshvardhan Launches Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga” to connect people through Yoga for scientific healthy living
Minister for Science & Technology Dr. Harshvardhan launched a Mobile App “Celebrating Yoga” developed by Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Science & Technology in New Delhi today.
- The Mobile App has been developed by DST on the occasion of International Yoga Day 2017.
- The purpose of the APP is to popularize Yoga and encourage people to participate in it for a scientifically healthy living.
Ministry of Culture launched ‘National Mission on Cultural Mapping of India’
In the year of commemoration of the birth centenary of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay, who hailed from Mathura district in Uttar Pradesh, the Ministry of Culture, Government of India has launched the implementation of the ‘‘National Mission on Cultural Mapping of India’ at Goverdhan Block, Mathura District, Uttar Pradesh.
Shri Piyush Goyal Launches Energy Conservation Building Code 2017
Shri Piyush Goyal, Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy and Mines has launched the Energy Conservation Building Code 2017 (ECBC 2017).
- Developed by Ministry of Power and Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), ECBC 2017 prescribes the energy performance standards for new commercial buildings to be constructed across India.
114-year-old Taj Palace becomes first Indian building to get trademark
The iconic Taj Mahal Palace in Mumbai has just got itself trademarked. This makes the 114-year-old building the first in the country to get such a registration.
- The hotel, which has been a defining structure of Mumbai’s skyline, has joined the elite and small club of trademarked properties in the world which includes the Empire State Building in New York, the Eiffel Tower in Paris and Sydney Opera House.
- Usually, logos, brand names, combination of colours, numerals and even sounds are trademarked but the registration of an architectural design has never been attempted since the Trademark Act came into force in 1999.
- The Taj Mahal Palace was built in 1903.
ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Mission completes 1000 earth days
The Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) maiden interplanetary mission, Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), completed 1000 earth days in its orbit on June 19, 2017, well beyond its designed mission life of six months.
- The mission of ISRO, which was launched on November 5, 2013 by PSLV-C25, an expandable launch system, entered the Martian orbit on September 24, 2014 in its first attempt.
Snapdeal ties up with The National Book Trust, India
Snapdeal Sunshine, a CSR initiative run by Snapdeal, announced the launch of ‘HarHaathEkKitaab’ campaign, in partnership with The National Book Trust (NBT).
- The campaign is a nationwide online books donation drive especially targeting underprivileged children, and aims at inculcating a reading habit among them.
- As a part of the campaign, Snapdeal will encourage its customers to buy and donate books published by the National Book Trust India.
- People can choose to donate anywhere between 10 to 2000 books by simply visiting https://www.snapdeal.com/offers/har-haath-ek-kitaab and clicking on the donation plan one prefers.
Finova Capital, ICICI Lombard collaborate to provide insurance services
Finova Capital has announced its partnership with ICICI Lombard, under which the insurance products offered by the latter will be available to Finova’s expanding customer base.
Afghan President inaugurates first Afghanistan-India air corridor
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has inaugurated the first Afghanistan-India air corridor at the Kabul International Airport.
- The corridor is a direct route that will bypass Pakistan and is meant to improve commerce in Afghanistan.
World’s second biggest celebrations for yoga to be held in China after India
Yoga fever has gripped China ahead of the third UN International Day of Yoga as thousands of Chinese would participate in scores of events organised across the country which officials say will make it the second-biggest celebrations of the day in the world, after India.
Kang becomes South Korea’s first female Foreign Minister
Kang Kyung-wha has been appointed as South Korea’s first female foreign minister despite facing strong objections from the opposition parties.
No ICC World T20 in 2018, India to host next Champions Trophy in 2021
India will host the next ICC Champions Trophy in 2021. This will be the second time India will be hosting this eight-team event played on a group league-cum-knockout basis.
- India hosted the fifth ICC Champions Trophy in 2006.
Actress Anjali Shrivastav passes away
29-year-old actress Anjali Shrivastav has allegedly committed suicide in her apartment.
International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict
The International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict is observed on 19th June every year.
- International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict Theme 2017: “Preventing Sexual Violence Crimes through Justice and Deterrence”.