Daily Current Affairs 1 January 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre releases over Rs 830 cr to Odisha to expedite implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission
Centre has released over 830 crore rupees to Odisha to expedite the implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in the state. Jal Shakti Ministry said, Odisha has planned to become Har Ghar Jal State in 2024.
- Out of around 85 lakh rural households in the state, around 41 per cent households have tap water supply in their homes.
- As on date, more than 36 thousand schools and over 29 thousand Anganwadi Centres in Odisha have been provided with tap water supply.
Govt approves 315 water supply schemes worth Rs 9544 cr for Jharkhand under Jal Jeevan Mission
Union Government has approved 315 water supply schemes of worth nine thousand 544 crore rupees for Jharkhand under the Jal Jeevan Mission. Jal Shakti Ministry said that these schemes will provide tap water supply to about eight lakh rural households in four thousand 424 villages of the State.
- Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat allocated over two thousand 479 crore rupees this year, which is four-fold increase from last year’s allocation. He assured full assistance to the state for making provision of tap water supply in every rural home by 2024.
Jharkhand govt partners with ISB to boost state’s forest economy
The Jharkhand government has joined hands with the Indian School of Business to launch an initiative aimed at empowering state’s forest economy and creating jobs and wealth through a sustainable development model.
- Scheduled Tribe, Scheduled Caste, Minority and Backward Class Welfare along the Department of Forests, Jharkhand, signed an MoU with the Bharti Institute of Public Policy at Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad, to develop scalable and sustainable solutions focussing on forest-based industrial value chains.
Jawaharlal Nehru Road renamed as ‘Narendra Modi Marg’ by Sikkim Guv
A second road linking Tsomgo lake and Nathula border pass with Gangtok — christened as ‘Narendra Modi Marg’ — was officially inaugurated by Governor Ganga Prasad. The older route is called Jawaharlal Nehru Road.
- The alternative double-lane road at 51 Kyongasala gram panchayat unit (GPU) — spanning 19.51 km — has been operational for almost a year now.
- The stretch, constructed by Border Roads Organisation, has reduced the distance between Gangtok and Tsomgo lake by 15 km.It is a small gesture to show gratitude to the PM.
BANKING & FINANCE
Interest rates on Small Savings Schemes kept unchanged for fourth quarter of FY22
The interest rates on various Small Savings Schemes has been kept unchanged for the fourth quarter of this financial year from 1st January to 31st March, 2022.
- Public Provident Fund (PPF) and National Savings Certificate (NSC) will continue to carry an annual interest rate of 7.1 per cent and 6.8 per cent, respectively.
- One-year term deposit scheme will continue to earn an interest rate of 5.5 per cent, while the girl child savings scheme Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account will earn 7.6 per cent.
- The interest rate on the five-year senior citizens savings scheme would be retained at 7.4 per cent. The interest on the senior citizens’ scheme is paid quarterly.
- Interest rate on savings deposits will continue to be 4 per cent per annum.
- Term deposits of one to five years will fetch interest rate in the range of 5.5-6.7 per cent, to be paid quarterly, while the interest rate on five-year recurring deposits will earn a higher interest of 5.8 per cent.
LIC inaugurates Digi Zone to sell insurance policies online
Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India has inaugurated ‘Digi Zone’ as part of its effort to enhance its digital footprint.
- With an intention to become a tech-driven life insurer, LIC will offer information regarding its products and services through kiosks installed in the premises, the insurer said.
- Customers can use LIC’s Digi Zone to buy policies online, pay the premium and avail of other services.
LIC, GIC Re and New India systemically important insurers: IRDAI
Insurance regulator Irdai said the state-owned LIC, GIC Re and New India continue to be identified as Domestic Systemically Important Insurers (D-SIIs) for 2021-22.
- D-SIIs refer to insurers of such size, market importance and domestic and global inter connectedness, whose distress or failure would cause significant dislocation in the domestic financial system.
SBI Card, Paytm join hands for card tokenisation to protect cardholders’ data
SBI Cards and Payment Services has tied up with Paytm for card tokenisation to protect data of the cardholders.
- SBI Card has collaborated with Paytm to enable cardholders to tokenise their cards on devices and make payments through Paytm, SBI Card said.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
TRIFED signs MoU with Rambhau Mhalgi Prabodhini to leverage knowledge, expertise & institutional strengths
TRIFED has been carrying out several programmes and initiatives to improve the livelihoods of the tribals and work towards their empowerment.
- A major game changing initiative- Van Dhan Programme, has been implemented by TRIFED in the recent past which is spearheading in 25 states and 307 districts with availability of MFPs as well as significant forest dwelling tribal population.
- In a bid to expand its activities and help more tribals, TRIFED has signed an Memorandum of Understanding with Rambhau Mhalgi Prabodhini– Nation First Policy Research Centre for a collaborative effort in leveraging knowledge, expertise and institutional strengths.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
SBI to acquire nearly 10 pc stake in India International Clearing Corporation
The country’s largest public-sector lender State Bank Of India (SBI), stated that it will buy a 9.95% stake in the India International Clearing Corporation (IICC), set up at the Gujarat International Finance Tec-City IFSC (GIFT-IFSC).
- It clears and settles index and single stock derivatives, currency derivatives and debt securities, states a PTI report.
- SBI has informed to complete the acquisition of an almost 10% stake in IICC by a maximum investment of Rs 34.03 crore, and the initial subscription is estimated to be completed by March 31, 2022.
India lift U-19 Asia Cup beating Sri Lanka by 9 wickets in Dubai
In cricket, India lifted the Under-19 Asia Cup by defeating Sri Lanka by nine wickets in a rain-interrupted One-Day International final in Dubai through Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method.
- Earlier, Sri Lanka opted to bat first and scored 106 for nine in the stipulated 38 overs.
Jasprit Bumrah Achieves Milestone of Picking 100 Test Wickets Away From Home
Adding another feather to his cap, Jasprit Bumrah achieved the milestone of picking 100 wickets away from home in Test cricket. The pacer got to the feat on Day 4 of the first Test between South Africa and India at the SuperSport Park in Centurion.
- Van der Dussen became Bumrah’s 100th Test victim in overseas conditions. The 28-year-old now has 105 wickets, out of which 101 have come away from home.
- Bumrah, who made his Test debut in South Africa in 2018, has played 25 Tests, 23 of which have come on the road.
At 29, Quinton de Kock announces retirement from Test cricket
South Africa’s star wicketkeeper-batter Quinton de Kock announced his retirement from Test cricket with immediate effect, said the country’s apex body, CSA, hours after the team’s defeat in the first Test against India.
- A former Test captain, De Kock is only 29 and it is believed that he will continue playing in the white-ball formats for the Proteas, with a lot of focus on franchise-based T20 leagues.
- In 54 matches, he scored 3300 runs with a highest score of 141 not out, at an average of 38.82 and strike rate of 70.93.
- He has six centuries and 22 half-centuries under his belt along with 232 dismissals, which includes 221 catches and 11 stumpings.
Vinay Kumar Tripathi appointed as new chairman, CEO of Railway Board
Vinay Kumar Tripathi has been appointed as new Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Railway Board. The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of Mr Tripathi who is presently working as General Manager, North Eastern Railway to the post of Chairman of Railway Board.
- Mr Tripathi belongs to 1983 Batch of Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers.
KVASU bags national award for breed conservation
The All India Co-ordinated Research Project (AICRP) on poultry breeding, Mannuthy, under the Kerala Veterinary and Animal Science University (KVASU), bagged the national breed conservation award for 2021.
- The centre received the prestigious award from ICAR – The National Bureau of Animal Genetic Resources (NBAGR) for the conservation and research activities on the Tellicherry breed, the only registered native chicken breed from the State.The award carries a citation and a purse of ₹10,000.
- The award was established by ICAR – NBAGR for their contribution towards conservation and improvement of registered Indian breeds of domestic livestock and poultry.