Daily Current Affairs 2 April 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
West Bengal govt rolls out ‘Rupashree’ for marriages of poor women
The West Bengal government has rolled out Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s dream project ‘Rupashree’ which provides one time financial support to the marriages of poor women.
- ‘Rupashree’ scheme follows the chief minister’s ambitious ‘Kanyashree’ project which has drawn global applause.
- The ‘Kanyashree’ scheme under which a beneficiary gets annual scholarship of Rs 500 and one time grant of Rs 25,000 aims at incentivizing schooling of teen aged girls and delaying their marriages until its legal age at 18.
Hyderabad ranked the top city in JLL’s 2018 Global City Momentum Index
Hyderabad has been ranked the top city in the short-term Momentum Ranking of JLL’s annual global survey. The ‘CMI Short-Term Momentum rankings’ published by Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) features Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Pune and Kolkata among the top five cities with Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai also earning a spot among the top 20 in the Global Top 30 index.
- The report identifies urban economies and real estate markets which are currently undergoing the most rapid growth further ranking them considering their performance based on various parameters.
Mangaluru airport adjudged India’s cleanest
In the survey conducted across 53 airports in the country by AAI, Mangalore International Airport was adjudged the cleanest. A team of officials from AAI had inspected the airport terminal, parking area, toilets, commercial stalls, the road leading to the airport and customer lounge.
India ranks 37th in global startup ecosystem in 2017: Report
India ranked 37th in the global startup ecosystem in 2017, according to a report released by global startup ecosystem map Startupblink. The list, measuring startup ecosystem strength and activity, was topped by the United States followed by the United Kingdom.
India is now the world’s No 1 almond importer
India has now become the largest importer of almonds in the world. India, the second largest almond importer in the world in 2017, has already imported 154 million pounds till February this crop year (August 2017 to July 2018), overtaking Spain and China.
- Spain was the biggest almond importer in 2016-17 with 210 million pounds, while China had 150 million pound import.
Indo-Kyrgyzstan joint training exercise ‘KHANJAR V’ concludes
The fifth Indo-Kyrgyzstan joint training exercise KHANJAR V culminated after a Joint Tactical Validation Exercise and a closing ceremony held at Counter Insurgency Jungle Warfare School, Vairengte, Mizoram.
SIDBI launches Samridhi virtual assistant and Bankability Kit
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has celebrated its foundation day. Chairman Managing Director of SIDBI Mohammad Mustafa launched a series of initiatives from its Lucknow bank headquarters.
- An MoU was signed with The New India Assurance Co. Ltd. and two MSMEs were issued insurance policies. Chairman SIDBI also launched ‘Samridhhi- the virtual assistant’ on banks revamped universal loan portal www.udyamimitra.in. During the day, a ‘Bankability Kit’ (brought in partnership with Bank of Baroda and IDBI Bank) was also launched.
Kerala bag Hero Santosh Trophy by defeating Bengal on penalties
Kerala beat defending champions Bengal 4-2 in the tie-breaker after the final ended 2-2 in extra time to win the 72nd edition of the Santosh Trophy football tournament at the Vivekananda Yuvabharati Krirangan (Salt Lake Stadium) in Kolkata, West Bengal.
John Isner lifts Men’s Singles trophy of Miami Open
In Tennis, American John Isner has lifted the Men’s Singles trophy of the Miami Open. In the title clash last night, the 14th seeded American defeated fourth-placed German Alexander Zverev, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4 to win his first ever Masters 1,000 title.
Debjani Ghosh is the new president of Nasscom
Debjani Ghosh, former managing director of Intel South Asia, is the new president of Nasscom. Ms.Ghosh had taken charge as the president, succeeding R.Chandrashekhar upon completion of his term.
Carlos Alvarado Quesada set to be next Costa Rica President
Carlos Alvarado, Costa Rica’s centre-left presidential candidate, is set to be the country’s next leader after elections on 1st April.
Autism Awareness Day: 2 April
World Autism Awareness Day is an internationally recognised day on 2 April every year, encouraging Member States of the United Nations to take measures to raise awareness about people with autism throughout the world.
- The theme of Autism Awareness Day in 2018 is “Empowering women and girls with autism”.