Daily Current Affairs 2 August 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India extends line of credit worth $170mn for water related projects in Guinea
India extended a line of credit worth USD 170 million for the installation of water-related projects in Guinea during President Ram Nath Kovind’s last-leg of the three-nation tour to West Africa.
Lok Sabha to become paperless from next session
Lok Sabha Speaker has announced that the Lower House will become paperless from the next session. This move will save crores of rupees to the exchequer.
India, UK launch clean air initiative in Bengaluru
The Innovating for Clean Air (IfCA), is a UK-India joint initiative providing Indian and UK stakeholders opportunities to test interventions related to air quality and EV integration, was launched in Bengaluru.
- This initiative provides a unique measurement system for air quality by integrating satellite and sensor data, and helping to support India’s transition to electric vehicles”. The programme is led by Innovate UK — part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
Bengaluru to host 10th AASF Asian Age Group C’ships 2019
Bengaluru will host the 10th AASF Asian Age Group Championships 2019 for the first time, giving the Indian swimming enthusiasts an opportunity to witness the largest aquatic event in the continent.
- The nine-day sporting extravaganza, scheduled to be held between September 24 and October 2, is set to have over 40 countries and more than 1200 participants competing for top honours in four different aquatic disciplines, including swimming, diving, water polo, and the visually-mesmerizing artistic swimming.
Mobile library service launched by Delhi Public Library
Culture and Tourism Minister flagged off a mobile library bus service which aims to reach out to readers in Delhi, especially those in slums, resettlement colonies and rural areas.
- The 5 buses mobile library service was launched under the “Ghar Ghar Dastak Ghar Ghar Pustak” Scheme of the Delhi Public Library (DPL).
IIT Hyderabad develops, eco-friendly solar cells using ‘kumkum dye’
Scientists at IIT Hyderabad have developed low-cost, environment-friendly solar cells by employing an off-the-shelf dye used to make kumkum or vermilion.
- The dye-sensitised solar cell (DSSC) is based on New Fuchsin (NF) dye with aqueous electrolyte and platinum-free counter electrodes, according to the research published in the Solar Energy journal.
India slips to 7th largest economy in 2018
According to the World Bank, India has been pushed to the 7th place in the global GDP rankings in 2018. India’s GDP was at $2.7 trillion in 2018. In 2017, India had emerged as the 6th largest economy.
- The US remains the top economy with a GDP of $20.5 trillion in 2018. China was the 2nd largest economy with $13.6 trillion, while Japan took the 3rd place with $5 trillion.
- India still remains the fastest-growing major economy in the world.
Foreign Ministers from South East Asia attend 52nd ASEAN summit
Foreign Ministers from South East Asia attended the 52nd ASEAN summit in Bangkok. The annual meeting opened with a call from the host Thailand for deeper integration to expand trade and bolster prosperity in the region amid rising global challenges.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NHB to provide liquidity infusion facility of Rs 10,000 cr to HFCs
To further ease the funds for the housing sector, National Housing Bank (NHB) will provide additional liquidity infusion facility of Rs 10,000 crore to Housing Finance Companies (HFCs). This will be an additional liquidity infusion for individual loans for affordable housing.
- The Finance Ministry launched the Liquidity Infusion Facility (LIFt) Scheme for Housing Finance on Friday. This new scheme will cater to the demand of HFCs to address the housing finance requirements in the affordable housing finance sector.
- The objective of the refinance scheme is to support HFCs in creating individual housing loan portfolio that falls under the priority sector, as defined by the Reserve Bank of India.
Former Cricketer Kapil Dev honoured with Bharat Gaurav Award
East Bengal club will officially start the centenary celebrations on its foundation day with a glittering ceremony at the Netaji Indoor Stadium.
- East Bengal club will award India’s first cricket World Cup-winning captain Kapil Dev with its highest honour, Bharat Gaurav.
Guruprasad Mohapatra takes charge as DPIIT secretary
IAS Officer Guruprasad Mohapatra assumed charge as the secretary of the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade.
- Prior to taking over as secretary of DPIIT, he served as chairman of the Airports Authority of India (AAI).
- Mohapatra replaces Ramesh Abhishek, who has retired.
Ruhan Rajput honoured with ‘Entrepreneur of the Year Award, 2019’
Ruhan Rajput, a renowned entrepreneur, co-founder and Director of Einfolge Technologies Pvt Ltd was awarded the prestigious Entrepreneur Award 2019 at New Delhi.
- Ruhan was acknowledged for his contributions and achievements in the business industry. His company, is one of the leading players in the knowledge process outsourcing (KPO) industry.
Tarun Chaudhri becomes first IAF pilot to complete wingsuit skydive jump
Wing Commander Tarun Chaudhri has become the first Indian Air Force pilot to perform a wingsuit skydive jump. Chaudhri achieved the feat during the Kargil Diwas celebrations at Air Force Station in Jodhpur.
Former cricketer Malcolm Nash passes away
Former UK‘s Glamorgan all-rounder Malcolm Nash has died at the age of 74. Nash took 993 first-class wickets between 1966 and 1983 and was Glamorgan’s leading wicket-taker when they won the County Championship in 1969.