Daily Current Affairs 2 August 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Dr Harsh Vardhan launches ‘Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan 2020-21
Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan launched ‘Vidyarthi Vigyan Manthan, 2020-21. This initiative is a national programme for popularizing science among school students of Class 6th to 11th. It was designed to identify the bright minds with a scientific aptitude among the student community.
- While launching the Vidhyarthi Vigyan Manthan, 2020-21, the Minister said, this is a platform to indentify the talent in the field of science and to promote the scientfic acumen among the students. He said, students will help in creating the New India and this initiative will play leading role in it.
Indian Railways installs automatic lighting systems at three railways stations in Madhya Pradesh
In a unique step towards energy conservation, the Indian Railways has recently installed automatic lighting systems at three railways stations in Madhya Pradesh.
- Railways have installed these automatic lighting systems at Jabalpur, Narsinghpur and Bhopal railways stations of Madhya Pradesh, which fall under the West Central Railway zone.
CM Naveen Patnaik launches ‘Odisha Agni-Shama Seva’ online portal
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik has launched ‘Odisha Agni-Shama Seva’ online portal. The portal will provide assistance in issuing fire safety certificates to different categories of buildings through online mode. As many as eight services online will be provided through the portal. Patnaik has directed Fire Services department to add other services before October 2, 2020.
Pawan Hans launches affordable Helicopter Flight Services in Uttarakhand under UDAN Scheme
Pawan Hans Limited (PHL) unveiled a new helicopter service on the Dehradun-New Tehri-Srinagar-Gauchar route in Uttarakhand under the Centre’s connectivity scheme, UDAN.
- As far as the new services are concerned, Pawan Hans will commence thrice-weekly helicopter flight services and a Viability Gap Funding (VGF) will be provided to both the operators and passengers to ensure that the fares are subsidised for all and sundry.
BANKING & FINANCE
Canara Bank ties up with three insurers to provide Corona Kavach policies
Canara Bank has tied up with New India Assurance Company Ltd, Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Co Ltd and HDFC ERGO Health Insurance as part of social commitment to indemnify the unprecedented expenses of common man to sell short-term Corona Kavach policy to cover COVID-19 related health expenses.
ICICI Pru MF launches ICICI Prudential Alpha Low Vol 30 ETF
ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund has announced the launch of ICICI Prudential Alpha Low Vol 30 ETF, an open ended index exchange traded fund tracking Nifty Alpha Low Volatility 30 Index. The ETF will track Nifty Alpha Low-Volatility 30 Index. The New Fund Offer opens on August 3 and closes on August 10.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
ADB signs Dollar 200 million financing deal with Reliance for power plant in Bangladesh
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed a dollar 200 million financing deal with the Reliance Bangladesh LNG and Power Limited (RBLPL) to build and operate a 718 megawatt combined-cycle gas-fired power plant in Bangladesh.
- The financing deal has two components of dollar 100 million each. While ADB will provide dollar 100 million, it will also administer the other part worth dollar 100 million from the Leading Asia’s Private Infrastructure Fund (LEAP).
AIIB plans to approve loans worth $3 bilion over next 12 months for infra projects
As part of its effort to improve connectivity, Beijing-based multilateral funding agency AIIB is looking to provide loans worth USD 3 billion for various large infrastructure projects, including Delhi and Meerut Rapid Rail, Mumbai Metro Rail and Chennai Peripheral Ring Road project, over the next 12 months.
- India is the largest borrower, which accounts for 25 percent of the total lending by Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) so far.
Great Eastern Shipping appoints Urjit Patel as additional director
Great Eastern Shipping Company Ltd has appointed former RBI Governor Urjit Patel as an additional and independent director for a term of five years.
- Patel served as the 24th governor of the Reserve Bank of India from September 2016 to December 2018.
Maidan coach Ashok Mustafi passes away
Veteran Maidan coach Ashok Mustafi, who also trained former India captain and BCCI president Sourav Ganguly during his formative years, passed away after a prolonged illness. He was 86.
Matthew McConaughey announces first memoir Greenlights
Oscar-winning actor Matthew McConaughey has announced his book, Greenlights, is to be published on Oct. 20. In the diaries, the 50-year-old actor recorded “anything that turned me on, turned me off, made me laugh, made me cry, made me question or kept me up at night.”
World Breastfeeding Week 2020
World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated annually during the first week of August (1st – 7th Aug) in over 120 countries around the world; and the week commemorates the signing of the Innocenti Declaration in August 1990. This global campaign was first organised by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) in collaboration with the World Health Organisation (WHO) and UNICEF in 1992, in an attempt to raise awareness about the benefits of exclusively breastfeeding for the initial 6 months of a child’s life.
- The theme of World Breastfeeding Week 2020 is “Support breastfeeding for a healthier planet”.