Daily Current Affairs 2 December 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India wins election to global maritime body
India won the election to the Council of International Maritime Organisation (IMO) in Category-B which represents the developing countries and countries with largest interests in international sea-borne trade.
- The IMO, known as the Inter-Governmental Maritime Consultative Organisation (IMCO) until 1982, is a specialised agency of the United Nations responsible for regulating shipping.
HUA approves construction of over 1 lakh more houses for urban
The Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry has approved the construction of 1.12 lakh more affordable houses for urban poor under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
- There will be an investment of Rs 8,105 crore for construction of these houses. The Centre will provide an assistance of Rs 1,681 crore for their construction.
- Under PMAY(U), the government targets to provide houses to all urban poor by 2022. Currently, the shortage of houses is pegged at 1.2 crore.
Bengal first state in India to setup green university
West Bengal Assembly passed the West Bengal Green University Bill 2017 for setting up an environmental studies university at Hooghly district.
Telangana announces WE-Hub, an innovation hub for women
The Telangana Government announced a move to set up an exclusive innovation hub on the lines of T-Hub for women called WE-Hub, backing it with an exclusive Rs. 15-crore fund.
- NITI Aayog will back the proposed WE-Hub with funds under the Atal Innovation Mission.
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated Nagaland’s Hornbill Festival
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Hornbill Festival and State Formation Day celebrations of Nagaland in Kisama. The Hornbill Festival is the perfect showcase of rich Naga culture and traditions, preserved over the years in the form of music, dance and food.
Indian Coast Guard conducts marine pollution response exercise ‘Clean Sea- 2017’
The Indian Coast Guard on 29 November 2017 conducted a Regional Level Marine Oil Pollution Response Exercise ‘Clean Sea – 2017’ at sea off Port Blair, capital of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The main objective of the exercise was to ascertain the preparedness of the Indian Coast Guard, resource agencies and other stakeholders in responding to a major oil spill in line with the provisions of the National Oil Spill Disaster Contingency Plan.
SCO summit held in Russia
The annual SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organisation) summit held in Russia’s Sochi discussed issues related to the regional security scenario including the situation in the Gulf and Afghanistan.
- From India, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj went Russia to attend the SCO summit.
Japan to host ministerial meeting of UNSC on 15th Dec
Japan announced that it will host a ministerial meeting of the UN Security Council on 15th December.
India’s Forex reserves up $1.2 bn, reclaim $400 bn mark
The Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) weekly statistical supplement showed that India’s foreign exchange (Forex) reserves kitty increased by $1.20 billion as on November 24, 2017. The overall Forex reserves rose to $400.74 billion from $399.53 billion reported for the week ended November 17.
Kohli becomes 4th fastest Indian to 5,000 Test runs
Virat Kohli became the fourth fastest Indian batsman to reach the landmark of 5,000 runs in the five-day format on the opening day of the third and final cricket Test against Sri Lanka in New Delhi.
- Other three are legendary Sunil Gavaskar followed by former star opener Virender Sehwag and Sachin Tendulkar.
Infosys appoints Salil Parekh as CEO and MD
IT bellwether Infosys has appointed Salil S. Parekh as its Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director with effect from January 2, 2018 for a five-year term. He will succeed U.B. Pravin Rao.
Miss Korea crowned Miss Supranational 2017
Miss Korea Jenny Kim was crowned Miss Supranational 2017 in Poland. Tica Martinez of Colombia and Bianca Tirsin of Romania were named the first runner-up and second runner-up respectively. India’s official entry to the competition, Peden Ongmu Namgyal, reached top 25, but failed to make it to the top 10.