Daily Current Affairs 2 December 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre constitutes Apex Committee for the Implementation of the Paris Agreement (AIPA)
The Environment Ministry has constituted a high-level inter-ministerial Apex committee for Implementation of Paris Agreement (AIPA) under the chairmanship of the secretary of the ministry.
- The purpose of AIPA is to generate a coordinated response on climate change matters that ensures India is on track towards meeting its obligations under the Paris Agreement including its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC).
- Senior officials from fourteen ministries will serve as members to AIPA who will oversee the progress in implementation of India’s NDC and receive periodic information updates to monitor, review and revisit climate goals to fulfil the requirements of the Paris Agreement.
India gets first organ donor memorial in Rajasthan
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot is inaugurated the country’s first memorial for organ donors in Jaipur on the Indian Organ Donation Day.
- This exclusive memorial has been established jointly by Mohan Foundation Jaipur Citizen Forum (MFJCF) and the Jaipur Municipal Corporation, near the city’s SMS Hospital, in honour of those who have given life to others in need.
- The names of 38 organ donors who have saved the lives of over 100 people in Rajasthan, Delhi and Mumbai, are etched on the memorial.
BANKING & FINANCE
Union Bank Completes Integration of All Branches of Corporation Bank with Itself
Union Bank of India has completed the IT integration after which all the branches of erstwhile Corporation Bank have come fully under its fold as part of the amalgamation exercise.
- With this IT integration, all of erstwhile Corporation Bank, including service and specialised branches, have been fully integrated with Union Bank of India (UBI).
- Along with this feat, the bank has successfully rolled out internet banking, mobile banking, UPI, IMPS, FI gateway, treasury and Swift for erstwhile Corporation Bank customers thereby enabling them to transact seamlessly across branches and delivery channels of UBI.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
S&P Retains India’s Growth Forecast at (-)9 Per Cent This Fiscal
S&P Global Ratings retained its forecast of 9 per cent contraction in the Indian economy for the current fiscal, saying even though there are now upside risks to growth but it will wait for more signs that COVID infections have stabilised or fallen.
- S&P, in its report on Asia Pacific, projected the Indian economy to grow at 10 per cent in the next fiscal.
- While there are now upside risks to growth due to a faster recovery in population mobility and household spending, the pandemic is not fully under control.
OECD Projects India’s FY21 GDP at -9.9%
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) has marginally raised its GDP forecast for India to a contraction of 9.9% in 2020-21 (FY21) from its earlier projection of (-)10.2% in September 2020.OECD expects the GDP to rebound to 8% in 2021-22 and 5% in 2022-23 .
- In terms of the global economy, OECD expects the world GDP to contract 4.2% in 2020. This estimate was (-)4.5 per cent in September forecast.
- OECD has also projected the world economy to grow by 4.2 per cent in 2021 from an earlier forecast of 5 per cent. For 2022, Global GDP is projected at 3.7%.
Bata names Sandeep Kataria as its global CEO
International footwear company Bata Brands has elevated Sandeep Kataria to the post of global CEO.
- Kataria is the first Indian to hold this prestigious role and will be taking over Alexis Nasard, who has been leading the 126-year old company for almost five years now.
- Kataria had joined Bata as its India CEO in 2017, but he comes with a stellar track record in the consumer industry. Before joining Bata, Kataria worked with Unilever, Yum Brands, and Vodafone.
Assam set to get its sixth national park
An Assam reserve forest, ravaged by militancy, is set to become the state’s sixth national park. The state government has proposed to upgrade the 422-sq km Ripu Reserve Forest in Kokrajhar district.
- The area of proposed Raimona National Park lies within the Ripu Reserve Forest that has a history of one of the best scientifically-managed forests in the country during the late 19th century.
- The area comprises the highest biodiverse floristic composition of the state wherein as many as 11 different forest types and sub-types could be classified.
World Computer Literacy Day
World Computer Literacy Day is observed every year on December 2nd to create awareness and drive digital literacy in underserved communities worldwide.
- The day promotes technological skills, especially in children and women.
National Pollution Control Day
National Pollution Control Day is observed on December 2 to instill awareness among people about environmental pollution and its disastrous consequences.
- The National Pollution Control Day is observed every year on this day in remembrance of those who lost their lives in the Bhopal Gas tragedy when the deadly gas methyl isocyanate leaked out of the Union Carbide plant on the intervening night of December 2-3 in 1984.
- The National Health Portal of India data reveals that around 7 million people die every year due to air pollution.The data also reveals that nine out of ten people globally do not have access to clean and safe air.
- This year’s theme for the Pollution Control Day is to raise awareness about the importance of pollution control measures and to educate people on how to prevent pollution.
International Day For The Abolition Of Slavery
The international day for the abolition of slavery is observed every year on December 2, all over the world since 1986 to raise awareness about slavery and put an end to all kinds of slavery.
- The focus of this day is to raise awareness about slavery and put an end to all kinds of slavery existing in the present-day world such as trafficking in persons, sexual exploitation, the worst forms of child labour, forced marriage, and the forced recruitment of children for use in armed conflict.
- International Day For The Abolition Of Sla very2020 Theme is “Confronting Slavery’s Legacy of Racism Together”.