Daily Current Affairs 2 February 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
President Kovind inaugurates Surajkund Mela 2020
President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the 34th Surajkund International Crafts Mela in Surajkund, Haryana.
- Himachal Pradesh is the theme State of this year’s Mela, showcasing its rich and unique cultural heritage through its various crafts.
Andhra Pradesh flagged off India’s 1st of its kind first ‘fruit train’
India’s First Fruit Train Flagged Off – A goods train of the Indian Railways which was fully loaded with 980 tonnes of banana was flagged off from Tadipatri in Andhra’s Anantapur district to the JNPT, Mumbai, for being shipped to Iran.
YSR Pension Kanuka doorstep pension scheme launched in AP
Adhra Pradesh Government has initiated a doorstep pension delivery schemeYSR Pension Kanuka across the state, under which, various welfare pensions is being delivered at the doorstep of the pensioners.
- Also, the age for old age pensioners (OAP) has been reduced from 65 to 60 years.
- The Disabled Pensions (DP) will be Rs 3,000 per month, while the CKDU/Dialysis Pensions will receive Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 per month
Indian Railways procures new design of Refrigerated Parcel Van
The Indian Railway on Saturday said that it has procured new design of Refrigerated Parcel Van with carrying capacity of 17 tonnes for transportation of highly perishable goods.
- The procurement was done through Rail Coach Factory Kapurthala
2019 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report: India’s ORF ranks 27th; CEIP, US tops the list
India”s Observer Research Foundation (ORF) has jumped more than 90 places to 27th position among 176 global think tanks in 2019 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report, by the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) of the Lauder Institute at the University of Pennsylvania.
- The list was topped by Carnegie Endowment for International Peace of US, followed by Belgium”s Bruegel and French Institute of International Relations (IFRI). UK”s Chatham House was ranked 6th on the list
- Other Indian think tanks in list include, Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) at 41st rank, whileInternational Economic Research (ICRIER) was at 110 position, Centre for Civil Society (CCS) at 83rd and The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) at 111th. Vivekananda International Foundation (VIF) was ranked at 149th place, according to the report
BANKING & FINANCE
Bank of Baroda signed pact with CARE Ratings to assess the credit quality of SMEs
State-owned Bank of Baroda has signed a pact with CARE Ratings to assess credit quality of its small and medium enterprises (SME) customers.
- The rating agency will evaluate the credit quality of existing and prospective SME customers of the bank.
NABARD approved loan worth Rs 140 crore at low interest to Punjab Agri Development Bank
To further strengthen the Punjab State Agricultural Development Bank (PSADB), the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has approved loan of Rs.140 crore at low interest rates.
- PSADB is back bone of farming sector and it needs to be strengthened by providing financial support
Govt data: BoM & SBI were only PSBs rated ‘good’ in digital transactions in Dec 2019
Bank of Maharashtra and State Bank of India are the only two state-run banks that showed ‘good’ performance in terms of digital transactions in December with a score of 77 and 68 respectively, government data showed
- In December, nine private lenders and two payments banks received good rating on digital transactions.
- Overall score of Yes Bank, Fino Payments Bank and HDFC Bank was 76 in December. ICICI Bank and IDFC First Bank scored 74 and 73, while Axis Bank and IDBI Bank scored 71 each, MeitY data showed
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Finance Commission to set up expert group to work out modalities on MoD’s proposal to levy ‘defence cess’
The 15th Finance Commission has decided to set up an expert group consisting of representatives from various ministries to work out the modalities on the demand of Defence Ministry for non-lapsable funds for the acquisition and levying of ‘defence cess’ to finance security expenditure.
- For modernisation and buying new weapon systems, defence forces have been allocated Rs 1,10,734 crore which is Rs 10,340 more than what was provided in last year’s budget
Goa 2020 National Games unveils ‘Rubigula’ as mascot
Rubigula’, Flame-Throated Bulbul, has been unveiled as the official mascot for the Goa 2020 National Games.
- The Flame-Throated Bulbul is the state bird of Goa.
Canara Bank MD & CEO R.A. Sankara Narayanan retires
Public sector lender Canara Bank said its Managing Director and CEO R A Sankara Narayanan has retired from the services of the Bank on 31st January 2020, on his attaining the age of superannuation
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
ISRO readying low-cost launch vehicles
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) announced that it is preparing low-cost satellite launch vehicles costing around Rs 30-35 crores each, which can put into orbit satellites weighing 500 kgs.
- The first such launch is expected to take place in the next four months from the country.
In a first IAF’S AN-32 aircraft landed at Leh with indigenous bio-jet fuel
IAF achieved another milestone, when an AN-32 aircraft of the Indian Air Force, powered with a 10% blend of Indian bio-jet fuel took-off from Kushok Bakula Rimpochee Airport, Leh.
- This is the first time that both engines of the aircraft were powered by the bio-jet indigenous fuel. The aircraft was flight tested and its performance was validated at Chandigarh Air Base prior to undertaking the operational flight to Leh.
Veteran social activist and feminist writer Vidya Bal passes away
Veteran social activist and feminist writer Vidya Bal passed away at a private nursing home in Pune . She was 84.
- Known for her heroic crusade against oppressive practices involving women, Bal was in the forefront in the fight for women’s rights and equality with men.
Padmashri awardee & Eminent Punjabi novelist Dalip Kaur Tiwana passes away
Noted Punjabi novelist Dalip Kaur Tiwana died at a hospital in Mohali after a brief illness. She was 84.
- Known for ”Teeli da Nishaan” and ”Sooraj te Samandar”, Tiwana was also a former president of the Punjabi Sahit Akademi.