Daily Current Affairs 2 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Maneka Gandhi launches NARI portal for schemes for women
Union Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi launched a web portal, NARI, which will provide information on all government schemes for women.
- Users can log on to www.nari.nic.in to access information on different programmes offered by various state governments as well as the Centre.
- The NARI portal carries details on 350 different schemes for women and will be updated from time to time.
- Gandhi also unveiled a website for NGOs called e-SAMVAD, an interactive portal allowing NGOs to contact the ministry and share their feedback, suggestions, grievances and their best practices.
- The move move aims at improving security for women by providing them a tool to alert the local police.
UP theme state for Surajkund crafts mela
The Haryana tourism department disclosed that Uttar Pradesh would be the theme state for the 32nd Surajkund International Crafts Mela, which would be organized at Surajkund, Faridabad from February 2 to 15. Apart from all other states, about 24 countries would also participate in it.
Jharkhand CM launches programme to provide electricity to all villages
Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das launched “Saubhagya Yojana”, a programme that would provide electricity to all the 29,376 villages in the state. This yojana, he said, would help achieve the central government’s target of providing 24×7 electricity.
Gujarat govt bans bird care NGOs during Uttarayan festival
The Animal Husbandry department of Gujarat government, has banned all voluntary animal care and non-government organisations working under the ‘Karuna Abhiyan’ to operate in residential areas during the Uttarayan festival this year.
- The practice of using abrasive thread for kite flying during the festival poses a threat to the birds. This year, however, the government has restricted the activities of the organisations, citing the high bird flu incidence of January 2018.
BANKING & FINANCE
HDFC Bank Partners With Rajasthan Govt. To Promote Startup Culture In The State
HDFC Bank has announced a partnership with Rajasthan Government to promote and nurture startups in the state. Under this partnership, HDFC Bank will team up with the state government to provide end-to-end solutions like current accounts, credit cards and other solutions to startups under its SmartUp programme.
No charges on debit card transactions up to Rs 2,000: FinMin
Customers will not have to pay any transaction charges for payments through debit card, BHIM app and other payment made for up to Rs 2,000 from January 1, 2018.
- The merchant discount rate (MDR) will be borne by the government for two years with effect from January 1, 2018 by reimbursing the same to banks.
Parliament passes National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Amendment) Bill
Parliament has passed the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Amendment) Bill, 2017 with the Rajya Sabha approving it.
- The Bill seeks to amend the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act, 1981. The Bill allows the central government to increase the authorised capital of the Bank from 5 thousand crore rupees to 30 thousand crore rupees.
- The capital can be increased further by the government in consultation with the RBI. Currently, the Central government is holding 99.6 per cent share of the bank and the rest is with RBI.
RIL commissions world’s largest refinery off-gas cracker at Jamnagar
Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) has successfully commissioned its refinery off-gas cracker (ROGC) complex of 1.5 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) capacity along with downstream plants and utilities in Jamnagar, Gujarat. The company said that it is the world’s first ROGC.
Sathiyan surpasses Kamal to be highest-ranked Indian paddler
G Sathiyan has surpassed the legendary Sharath Kamal to become India’s highest- ranked player in the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) rankings, which also have an unprecedented nine players in the top-100.
Eminent Urdu poet Anwar Jalapuri passes away at 71
Eminent Urdu poet Anwar Jalalpuri, also known for his translation of the Bhagavad Gita from Hindi to Urdu, has passed away.