Daily Current Affairs 2 January 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Panel formed to prepare energy transition roadmap for India
The government is planning to draw up an energy transition roadmap for the oil and gas sector that could prove to be a key step on India’s path to net-zero emissions by 2070.
- The oil ministry has set up the Energy Transition Advisory Committee headed by former petroleum secretary Tarun Kapoor, who demitted office in November, to draft the strategy.
- The panel will include representatives of all public-sector oil and gas companies and will reach out to other stakeholders in the sector.
Government sets up multiple task forces for 6G development
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) formed as many as six academia-driven task forces under the Technology Innovation Group (TIG) on sixth-generation or 6G technology, making industry representation only symbolic.
- The new task groups are headed by Bhaskar Ramamurthy, director, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Chennai, Abhay Karandikar, director, IIT-Kanpur, Bharadwaj Amrutur, director, Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore, Kiran Kumar Kuchi, director, IIT-Hyderabad on multi platform for next generation networks, spectrum policy, multi-disciplinary innovative solutions, and devices respectively.
- Group for financing research and development is headed by Ashok Kumar Tiwari, Member (Technology), Digital Communications Commission (DCC), and a task force on international standards is headed by NG Subramaniam, chairman of the Telecommunications Standards Development Society, India (TSDSI).
China unveils 5-year plan to become hub of global robotics market
After cementing its position across tech domains globally, China has unveiled a five-year plan to become an innovation hub for the global robotics industry by 2025, as industries like automobile, aerospace, railway transportation, logistics and mining aim to roll out smart factories.
- The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology said in a statement that the operating income of China’s robotics industry is expected to grow at an average annual rate of 20 per cent from 2021 to 2025.
- In 2020, the operating income of China’s robotics sector exceeded 100 billion yuan ($15.7 billion) for the first time.
BANKING & FINANCE
Paisabazaar.com and Axis Bank launch pre-qualified personal loans
Paisabazaar.com, India’s largest digital marketplace for consumer credit, announced that it has strengthened its partnership with Axis Bank, India’s third largest private sector bank, by launching a Pre-Qualified Program for unsecured loans on its platform.
- The Pre-Qualified program on Paisabazaar.com entails deep technology and analytics collaboration with Banks and NBFCs, which enables select customers to view customized and pre-qualified lending offers on the fintech’s platform.
- Axis Bank customers, both salaried and self-employed, who are eligible for pre-qualified personal loans from the bank, will now be able to view and apply for the same offers through the Paisabazaar platform as well.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
SEBI restructures Market Data Advisory Committee
SEBI has restructured its advisory committee on market data that recommends policy measures pertaining to areas like securities market data access and privacy.
- Rejigging its market data advisory committee, Sebi has said the panel will now be chaired by S Sahoo, Professor at National Law University, Delhi and former chairperson, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI), as per the latest information with the regulator.The 20-member committee was earlier headed by Madhabi Puri Buch, ex-whole time member of Sebi.
- Members of the committee include Ashlesh Gosain, Regional Head South Asia, Bloomberg LP, Mumbai; Reena Garg Scientist F & Head (Electronic & Information Technology Department) at BIS; Kiran Shetty, CEO and Regional Head – India & South Asia at SWIFT India; Ganesh Ramakishnan Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering in IIT Bombay.
- Also, BSE Managing Director and CEO Ashishkumar Chauhan; NSE MD and CEO Vikram Limaye; Mahesh Vyas, MD of CMIE; Prithvi Haldea, chairman at Prime Database; and Anuj Kumar, CEO of CAMS are also the members.
Former England captain Ray Illingworth passes away
Ray Illingworth, a former England cricket captain, has died. He was 89.
- Illingworth played 61 Tests for England between 1958 and 1973 and captained the country 31 times, winning 12 matches and an Ashes series in Australia in 1970-71.
- He was an all-rounder who scored 1,836 Test runs at an average of 23.24 and claimed 122 wickets with his off-spin bowling at 31.20.
- He was chairman of the England selectors between 1993 and 1996, and coached the team in 1995-96.