Daily Current Affairs 2 July 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt sets up high-powered committee of CMs to ‘transform Indian agriculture’
Prime Minister Narendra Modi constituted a high-powered committee of chief ministers for the transformation of agriculture and raising farmers’ income.
- The nine-member committee, headed by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, will suggest policy measures, attract investments and raise growth in food processing.
Abu Dhabi commercialises the world’s largest single solar power project
The UAE debuted the world’s largest single solar plant, Noor Abu Dhabi, boasting a production capacity of nearly 1,177 MW.
- Noor Abu Dhabi is comprised of over 3.2 million solar panels, capable of providing enough capacity to 900,000 people.
- The solar plant will reduce Abu Dhabi’s CO2 emissions by 1 million metric tons. This is estimated to be equivalent of removing 200,000 cars off the roads.
India to contribute USD 5M in 2019 to UN Palestine refugee agency
India has pledged to contribute USD 5 Million in 2019 to the UN Palestine refugee agency. The Indian Government is assisting 150 Palestinian professionals every year under the Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation programme.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
SBI, NIIF in pact for funding infrastructure projects
The State Bank of India has signed a memorandum of understanding with National Investment and Infrastructure (NIIF) Fund to boost availability of capital for infrastructure projects.
- The scope of the agreement includes equity investments, project funding, bond financing, renewable energy support and take-out finance for operating assets.
HCL Technologies completes acquisition of select IBM products
HCL Technologies has completed the planned acquisition of select IBM products for security, marketing, commerce and digital solutions.
- Last December, HCL Technologies had announced that it will acquire select IBM software products for 1.8 billion dollars (about Rs 12,700 crore) in an all-cash deal.
Odisha to host 21st Commonwealth Table Tennis C’ship
Odisha Government is set to host the 21st Commonwealth Table Tennis Championship at the Jawaharlal Indoor Stadium in Cuttack, scheduled for July 17 to 22.
Indian Pro Boxer Wins WBC Asia Title
Indian pro boxer Vaibhav Yadav has become the WBC Asia Silver Welterweight Champion. He defeated Thailand’s Fahpetch Singmanassak in the title bout held in Pattaya, Thailand.
- The fight was conducted by the Asian Boxing Council and approved by the World Boxing Council (WBC).
Centre extends RBI Deputy Governor Vishwanathan’s tenure by a year
The Centre has extended the tenure of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Deputy Governor N S Vishwanathan by one year.
- The RBI has provision for four deputy governors, two of whom are appointed from outside while the other two are traditionally appointed from those working within the central bank.
ICRA appoints Vipul Agarwal as interim COO
Vipul Agarwal has taken over as the interim Chief Operating Officer of investment information and rating agency ICRA after the board of directors asked Naresh Takkar to proceed on leave until further notice.
NALCO to get President’s award for excellent CSR
National Aluminium Company Limited has been selected for President’s award for utilisation of Corporate Social Responsibility fund in social development.
- NALCO started a scheme “Aliali Jhia” in 2015 to promote the education of Girls of BPL families. NALCO is an Odisha based Navaratna Company.
Sports Journalists Federation of India 2019 Awards
- SJFI Medal (Highest Honour): Prakash Padukone (Badminton).
- Sportsperson of the Year Award: Pankaj Advani (Billiards and Snooker) and Bajrang Punia (Wrestling).
- Emerging Talent of the Year Award: Saurabh Choudhary (Shooting).
- Team of the Year Award: Vidarbha Cricket Team.
Professional motorcycle racer, Carlin Dunne passes away
Professional motorcycle racer, Carlin Dunne passes away. He unfortunately suffered a fatal crash during Ducati Streetfighter V4 prototype run at Pikes Peak Hill Climb. He was also known as “The King of the Mountain”.