Daily Current Affairs 2 July 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Kerala announces ‘Dream Kerala Project’ to help expats who lost jobs due to coronavirus
The Kerala government announced to roll out a ‘Dream Kerala Project’ to help and tap the potential and experience of those returning from abroad and other states after losing their jobs due to the Covid-19 pandemic
- The State government would work in a time-bound manner to get the project rolling by November 15. The project,is aimed at the rehabilitation of NRKs and the overall development of the State.
Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal launches India’s First Plasma Bank to fight COVID-19 spread
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched the first-ever plasma bank for treatment of coronavirus patients in the national capital, after receiving positive results on multiple clinical trials.
- The bank is being set up at the Delhi government-run Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS) and doctors or hospitals will have to approach it if plasma is required for treatment of a COVID-19 patient.
- In this process, the antibodies from the recovered person’s body get transferred to the patient
Madhya Pradesh launches ‘Hamara Ghar-Hamara Vidyalaya’ campaign
In order to maintain the academic regularity of students during the Corona crisis, the Madhya Pradesh State Education Center has launched a campaign titled ‘Hamara Ghar-Hamara Vidyalaya’ which means My Home-My school scheme.
- Hamara Ghar-Hamara Vidyalaya has been launched for students of classes 1 to 8 in the state.
- Under this scheme, children will be made to study in the school like environment at the homes.
Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurates Continuous Galvanized Rebar Production Facility in Punjab
Union Minister of Steel Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated Continuous Galvanized Rebar Production Facility at Mandi Gobindgarh in Punjab.
- The facility inaugurated is a step in the right direction towards making of an Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
- The Continuous Galvanized Rebar production facility will support the much awaited need of supplying galvanized rebar to the construction industry.
India accounts for 45.8 million of the world’s ‘missing females’: UN report
India accounts for 45.8 million of the world’s 142.6 million “missing females” over the past 50 years, a report titled ‘The State of World Population 2020’ by the United Nations said, noting that the country along with China form the majority of such women globally.
- The world organisation’s sexual and reproductive health agency, said that the number of “missing women” has more than doubled over the past 50 years – from 61 million in 1970 to a cumulative 142.6 million in 2020.
- Of this global figure, India accounted for 45.8 million missing females as of 2020 and China accounted for 72.3 million
BANKING & FINANCE
Swiggy launches digital wallet ‘Swiggy Money’ in partnership with ICICI Bank
Food aggregator unicorn Swiggy has launched its own digital wallet Swiggy Money in partnership with ICICI Bank to enable a ‘single-click checkout experience’ on its platform.
- The full-fledged digital wallet will allow customers to store money and pay for all food orders on Swiggy.
- Swiggy Money is powered by ICICI Bank’s ‘insta wallet service’ which is built on a cloud platform with API integration. It enables Swiggy to create a digital wallet instantly for its customers.
India, World Bank sign loan agreements for housing sector in Tamil Nadu
The government of India, government of Tamil Nadu and the World Bank signed legal agreements to help low-income groups in the state of Tamil Nadu get access to affordable housing.
- The legal agreements were signed for two projects – $200 million First Tamil Nadu Housing Sector Strengthening Programme and $50 million Tamil Nadu Housing and Habitat Development Project – to strengthen the state’s housing sector policies, institutions, and regulations.
- Nearly half of Tamil Nadu’s population is urban, and this is expected to increase to 63 percent by 2030. An estimated 6 million people are currently living in slums
India”s Nitin Menon becomes youngest umpire to enter ICC Elite Panel
India’s Nitin Menon became the youngest ever to be included in the International Cricket Council’s Elite Panel of Umpires for the upcoming 2020-21 season, replacing England’s Nigel Llong.
- The 36-year-old, who has officiated in three Tests, 24 ODIs and 16 T20Is, is only the third from India to make it to the prestigious group after former captain Srinivas Venkatraghavan and Sundaram Ravi, who was axed last year.
NADA app launched to help athletes stay updated on banned substances
Sports minister Kiren Rijiju unveiled National Anti-Doping Agency’s first mobile app NADA app to provide information about prohibited substances and their inadvertent use, calling the initiative an important step towards dope-free sports.
- The aim of the app to eliminate the gap between itself and the athletes by providing easily-accessible information on various aspects of sport, prohibited substances and dope-testing.
Former Germany footballer Mario Gomez retires from sport
Former Germany striker Mario Gomez retired from football after scoring in his last game for Stuttgart.
- The german striker scored 31 goals in 78 appearances for the national team. He is considered as one of the best German forwards of his time.
- He won the Bundesliga title in 2007 while playing for Stuttgart, and two more titles while playing for Bayern Munich.
- He also won the Champions League in Bayern’s treble-winning season in 2013. He has 170 goals in 328 Bundesliga games under his name.
Gudni Johannesson Re-elected as President of Iceland
Gudni Johannesson, incumbent president of Iceland, has been re-elected for another four-year term in office, according to the voting results announced recently.
- The final results showed that Johannesson, 52, defeated the main challenger Gudmundur Franklin Jonsson with an overwhelming 92.2 percent of the vote.
KK Venugopal, Tushar Mehta get extended tenures as attorney general, solicitor general
The Union government strengthened its top legal team by extending the term of K.K. Venugopal as the Attorney General (AG) for one year, Tushar Mehta as the Solicitor General (SG) for three years and appointing six new Additional Solicitors General (ASGs) besides extending the tenure of five existing ASGs.
- While the AG was reappointed by President Ram Nath Kovind, the other appointments were notified by the Law Ministry late on Monday after the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC), headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, cleared them.
Shrikant Madhav Vaidya takes charge as IOC Chairman, succeeds Sanjiv Singh
Shrikant Madhav Vaidya took charge as the new chairman of Indian Oil Corporation (IOC).
- Prior to his elevation, Vaidya was the Director (Refineries) on the IOC Board, since October 2019.
- He succeeds Sanjiv Singh, who has superannuated from the services of the Corporation on June 30th.
Sanjay Dwivedi appointed Director General of IIMC
Sanjay Dwivedi was appointed the director general of the Indian Institute of Mass Communication for a period of three years.
- At present, Dwivedi is the registrar of Makhanlal Chaturvedi National University of Journalism and Communication in Bhopal.
- The post of the head of one of the premier institute of journalism and mass communication was lying vacant for over a year.
Shashank Manohar steps down as ICC Chairman
Shashank Manohar has formally stepped down as International Cricket Council (ICC) chairman after heading the sport’s global governing body for four years.
- Singapore’s Imran Khwaja, previously Manohar’s deputy has been elevated as interim chairman until the process for the next chairman’s election is finalise
Shri Ravinder Bhakar assumes charge as CEO, CBFC
Shri Ravinder Bhakar, a 1999 batch officer of Indian Railway Stores Service (IRSS), has taken over as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Central Board of Films Certification (CBFC). He succeeds Anurag Srivastava
- Prior to his appointment as CEO, CBFC, Mr. Bhakar was posted as the Secretary & Chief Public Relations Officer of Western Railways.
Indra Mani Pandey Appointed India’s Permanent Representative To UN In Geneva
Seasoned diplomat Indra Mani Pandey has been appointed as India’s next Permanent Representative to the United Nations and other international organisations in Geneva.
- Mr Pandey, a 1990-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as an additional secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Mr Pandey succeeds Rajiv K Chander in Geneva
Beyoncé to get Humantarian Award at ‘BET Awards 2020’ for her philanthropic work
Popstar Beyonce will be honoured with the Humanitarian Award at the 20th edition of the ‘BET Awards’.
- Beyonce, 38, is being honoured for her longstanding philanthropic work, including her recent COVID-19 relief efforts.
- The singer had teamed up with her mother, Tina Knowles Lawson, for the #IDIDMYPART mobile testing initiative encouraging residents in her hometown of Houston and other Black and brown communities, who are disproportionately affected by the novel coronavirus, to know their status
Ravindra Jadeja named India’s ‘most valuable player’ of 21st Century by Wisden
Flamboyant all-rounder Ravindra Jadeja has been named as India’s most valuable Test player in the 21st century by the Wisden magazine.
- With an MVP rating of 97.3, the 31-year-old Jadeja was also rated as the second most valuable Test player worldwide, behind only Sri Lanka legend Muttiah Muralitharan.
- Jadeja has played in 49 Tests since making his debut in 2012, scoring 1,869 runs with one century and 14 fifties to his name. He has picked up 213 Test wickets.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Karnataka CM Yediyurappa unveils `Skill Connect Forum` for job seekers, recruiters
Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa launched ‘Skill Connect Forum’, a portal that connects job seekers with employers on a common platform.
- The initiative comes even as the state continues to reel under the economic uncertainty and acute fund crunch due to the covid-19 induced lockdown that has resulted in job losses across the state and country.
- Any individual can register by uploading details of their qualification, skill sets and other details, employers would also register on the portal which then matches the requirement and availability
National Doctor’s Day
National Doctor’s Day celebrated every year on July 1st to thank physicians and doctors for their dedicated services to patients. The day honors the contribution and dedication of the doctors in the worst of times.
- The theme of National Doctor’s Day 2020 is ‘Lessen the mortality of COVID-19’. The theme is decided keeping in mind the larger scale issue related to the medical field and the professionals and doctors.