Daily Current Affairs 2 March 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Cabinet clears setting up of NFRA to oversee auditors
Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of National Financial Reporting Authority (NFRA). NFRA will act as an independent regulator for the auditing profession which was one of the key changes brought in by the Companies Act 2013.
Health Ministry to get ‘Ayushman Bharat’ Logo through crowd sourcing
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched a competition for design of a logo and tagline for the Ayushman Bharat programme, announced in the 2018-19 Budget this year.
- The main aim of the competition is to generate awareness among the population about these health sector initiatives and engage them towards ownership in shaping a healthy India.
- The main theme of the logo is ‘Ayushman Bharat’ and the guiding principle will be sarve bhavantu sukhinah, sarve santu niramayah (may every one be happy, may every one be free from all diseases).
Maharashtra government ties up with Wikipedia to promote Marathi
The Maharashtra government has tied up with Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia, to propagate the Marathi language and increase its usage online.
- The state government said this will help spread the language across the globe and give Marathi-speaking people a single platform to interact. It is also expected to help reach Maharashtrians who have settled in the United States.
Karnataka unveils healthcare scheme
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah unveiled a healthcare scheme aimed at benefitting about 1.43 crore households in the state.
- The ‘Arogya Karnataka’ (Healthy Karnataka) will provide quality primary, secondary and tertiary treatment to both BPL and APL families in the state.
- Through the scheme, all below-poverty-line (BPL) households will get free treatment at government hospitals while for above-poverty-line (APL) households, the state will bear about 30 per cent of the treatment cost.
World’s largest solar park Shakti Sthala launched in Karnataka
The Karnataka government inaugurated the first phase of a 2,000 megawatts (MW) solar park in the drought-prone Pavagada region of Tumkur district, about 180km from Bengaluru.
- The first phase of the Rs16,500 crore park called “Shakti Sthala” will generate 600MW, while the balance 1,400MW is expected to be commissioned by the end of this year.
Tamil Nadu govt unveils 24-hour toll free helpline to provide information on education
Tamil Nadu Government has set up a 24-hour helpline which is for the first time in the country that would provide information on education and offer guidance to students.
- Chief Minister K Palaniswami formally launched the toll free number 14417 through the 24-hour Education Guidance Centre set up at the Secretariat that would offer information relating to school education and offer guidance to students.
Exim Bank, UNDP ink pact to extend financial support to MSMEs in N-E
Export-Import Bank of India (Exim Bank) has signed an agreement with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) for financing a project on ‘Capacity Building of MSMEs in North East India for Export Competitiveness’.
- The project looks at creating stronger MSMEs (micro, small and medium enterprises) in the North-East region to boost exports, generate employment and provide livelihood opportunities to the youth and women.
India has the third highest number of billionaires in the world: Hurun Global Rich List
With 31 new Indians on the list, India comes third after China and USA on Hurun’s Global Rich List 2018. The Hurun Rich List 2018 ranked 2,694 billionaires from 68 countries and 2,157 companies.
- The report mentioned that the most number of billionaires – 19 – in India were produced by the pharmaceuticals sector, followed by automobiles with 14 and consumer products with 11.
Sanjeev Nautiyal nominated as MD and CEO of SBI Life
SBI Life Insurance Co has announced that Sanjeev Nautiyal has been nominated as its next MD and CEO as the current head Arijit Basu has been posted as Deputy Managing Director of Corporate Accounts Group of parent company SBI.