Daily Current Affairs 2 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM launched 10,000 FPOs, laid Foundation Stone For Bundelkhand Expressway In UP
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched 10,000 Farmers Producer Organisations (FPOs) all over the country in Chitrakoot, Uttar Pradesh.
- Nearly 86 per cent of farmers are small and marginal with average land holdings in the country being less than 1.1 hectares.
- These small, marginal and landless farmers face tremendous challenges during agriculture production phase such as for access to technology, quality seed, fertilizers and pesticides including requisite finances.
19th World Productivity Congress to be held in Bengaluru
World Productivity Congress, the world’s largest convention for productivity development, is back in India after a gap of 45 years.
- The 19th edition of World Productivity Congress (WPC) will be held on May 6 to May 8, 2020, at the Bangalore International Exhibition Centre, Bengaluru.
- The 19th World Productivity Congress themed “Industry 4.0 – Innovation and Productivity” which represents the Fourth Industrial Revolution that amalgamates the capabilities of humans and machines
Madhya Pradesh: Chilli Festival begins in Khargone district
In Madhya Pradesh, the two-day unique Chilli Festival begins at Kasrawad in Khargone district.
- The Chilli Festival is a big business opportunity for traders, investors and exporters.
- It will also help in fulfilling the Central Government’s goal of doubling the income of farmers. Chilli-based cuisine stalls will also be set up on the occasion
Om Birla launches ‘Suposhit Maa Abhiyaan’ in Kota
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla launched the ‘Suposhit Maa Abhiyaan’ in his constituency Kota, Rajasthan to support adolescent girls and pregnant women in the country
- Under this Abhiyan, 1,000 pregnant women would be given food items for one month. At the same time, the health of the child, including medical examination, blood tests, medicines, delivery, would be covered.
- It is a campaign to preserve and maintain the health of our future generations
Jitendra Singh inaugurates Pension Adalat for Central govt pensioners in Jammu
Union Minister Jitendra Singh inaugurated Pension Adalat for Central Government pensioners and awareness programme on National Pension System (NPS) in Jammu.
- This is the first time that Pension Adalat is being conducted outside Delhi as the government wants to reach every part of the country to get the pensioner’s grievances redressed in the real-time as aspired by the honourable Prime Minister of India.
Jammu’s famed City Chowk renamed as Bharat Mata Chowk
The historic City Chowk in Jammu has been renamed as Bharat Mata Chowk by the Jammu Municipal Corporation (JMC).
- The starting point of Circular Road has been renamed as ‘Atal ji Chowk’ in the memory of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
AAI & Tripura Govt sign MoU for construction of equipment hiring centers
Tripura State Government and Airport Authority of India has signed a memorandum of understanding for the construction of six equipment hiring centers in Manu Block under the Dhalai District of Tripura.
- The project has been taken as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility scheme.
- The equipment hiring centers, equipment related to agriculture, animal husbandry and fisheries will be kept. The types of equipment will be rented out to the needy farmers, Self Help Groups and to any other needy at a minimal cost
Dutee Chand wins second gold in Khelo India University Games
Indian ace runner Dutee Chand won her second gold in the Khelo India University Games after bagging the top spot in 200m final.
- Representing Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), the 24-year-old clocked the timing of 23.66 seconds while Kirti Vijay Bhoite from the University of Mumbai settled for silver with a timing of 24.98 seconds.
- Deepali Mahapatra from the Utkal University won the bronze medal with a timing of 25.19 seconds.
Khelo India University Games: Dutee Chand bags gold medal in 100-m dash with record timing
Indian sprinter Dutee Chand clinched a gold medal in 100m dash with a record timing of 11.49 seconds in the Khelo India University Games.
- The 24-year-old Dutee, representing Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (KIIT), raced ahead to take a massive lead within no time.
- The second best — Dhanalakshmi S from Mangalore University — clocked 11.99 seconds and Sneha SS from Mahatma Gandhi University clinched the bronze with a timing of 12.08 seconds.
Panjab University crowned champion as Khelo India University Games conclude
Panjab University took it right down to the wire as it clinched two gold medals on the final day to emerge as the champion of the inaugural edition of the Khelo India University Games, that concluded recently.
- Panjab’s pugilists won two crucial golds to get the team on level terms with Pune University on 17 gold medals, but the former’s total tally of 46 medals as opposed to Pune’s 37 saw it runaway as the winner. Punjabi University finished third with 33 medals.
Rafael Nadal wins Mexican Open title 2020
Rafael Nadal secured his 85th ATP Tour title with a resounding win over Taylor Fritz in the Mexican Open final in Acapulco.
- Nadal won the ATP 500 title for the third time and first since the event changed from clay to hard-court in 2014
- In the women’s final, seventh-seeded Heather Watson captured her first WTA title in three years by grinding out a 6-4, 6-7, 6-1 win over Canadian teen Leylah Fernandez.
Muhyiddin appointed as Malaysia’s prime minister
Muhyiddin Yassin has been appointed as Malaysia’s 8th Prime Minister by Yang di-Pertuan Agong Abdullah following a week of political turbulence in the country after Mahathir Mohamad’s resignation on February 24, 2020.
- Mr Yassin was selected for the prime ministership after the Yang di-Pertuan Agong met with all Members of Parliament (MPs) and decided that Mr Yassin was the most likely to command majority support in the Parliament.
JDU MP Baidyanath Prasad Mahto passes away after prolonged illness
Janata Dal (United) MP from Bihar’s Valmiki Nagar Baidyanath Prasad Mahto passed away at AIIMS in New Delhi after a prolonged illness.He was 72.
- Mahto won the 2009 and 2019 Lok Sabha elections from Valmiki Nagar constituency.
- He was deputy leader of the Janata Dal(United) in the current Lok Sabha. Condoling his death, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar said Mahto was very popular in his Constituency.
Former India hockey player Balbir Singh Kullar passes away
Former Indian hockey player Balbir Singh Kullar, who was a part of the 1968 Olympics bronze-winning team, has passed away. He was 77.
- He was also a member of the Indian team that won the Asian Games gold in 1966 (Bangkok) and the Olympic Bronze in 1968 (Mexico).
Dronacharya awardee Joginder Singh Saini passes away
Veteran athletics coach and Dronacharya awardee Joginder Singh Saini, who groomed some of India’s finest track and field stars, died in Patiala,due to age-related problems. He was 90.
- Saini, who remained the chief national athletics coach for many years from the 1970s to 90s, was not keeping well for the past few days.
- He received the Dronacharya Award in 1997 for his contribution to Indian athletics