Daily Current Affairs 2 May 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi Inaugurates Semicon India Conference-2022 in Bengaluru
Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated India’s first Semicon conference in Bengaluru saying that the country has shown the real meaning of business and now it depends on the industry leaders to make India a “vibrant semiconductor ecosystem”.
- The conference is intended to serve as a springboard for the country’s aspiration to become a worldwide semiconductor hub and to develop the chip design and manufacturing ecosystem.
- This conference will feature eminent specialists from industry associations, research organisations, and academia.
J&K: India’s first cable-stayed bridge- Anji Khad Bridge to be complete by Dec 2022
India’s first cable-stayed bridge- Anji Khad Bridge will be complete by December this year in Reasi district of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir. This was stated by Konkan Railways Project Officer Sanjay Kumar.
- Anji Khad Bridge is situated over the Anji river. It will connect the Katra-Reasi section at the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla route.
- The 272-kilometer long Udhampur-Baramulla Railway Line will be a game-changer for the Union Territory and 80 percent of the work on the project has been completed.
Govt clears nearly Rs 61,000 cr subsidy for phosphate-based fertilisers for upcoming Kharif season
Union Cabinet has approved Nutrient Based Subsidy rates for Phosphatic and Potassic, P&K fertilizers for Kharif Season-2022.
- Mr Anurag Thakur said the government has approved over 60 thousand 939 crore rupees on P&K fertilizers which is applicable for six months from 1st of April to 30th September 2022 to ensure smooth availability of these fertilizers to the farmers at affordable prices.
PM Modi inaugurates Global Patidar Business Summit in Surat
Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually inaugurated the Global Patidar Business Summit (GPBS), organized by Sardardham.The summit is being held at Surat.
- The Sardardham is organizing GPBS under `Mission 2026` to provide an impetus to the socio-economic development of the Patidar community.
- The main theme of GPBS 2022 is “Aatmanirbhar Community to Aatmanirbhar Gujarat and India”.The summit is aimed at encouraging entrepreneurship and value creation among the youth.
Punjab govt to pay Rs 1500 per acre assistance to farmers adopting direct sowing of paddy
Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann announced 1500 rupees per acre financial assistance to farmers adopting direct sowing of paddy so that the depleting water table could be saved.
- In a video message, Bhagwant Mann asked farmers to bring more agricultural land under direct sowing of paddy instead of the traditional paddy transplantation.
- Expressing concern over the depleting groundwater table day by day Mann said that some districts had fallen in red zone category. He said The traditional methods of paddy sowing leads to excessive consumption of water, which resulted in depletion of water table.
Dr. Ambedkar Centres of Excellence (DACE) Scheme launched from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment and Chairman of Dr. Ambedkar Foundation (DAF) Dr. Virendra Kumar launched the Dr. Ambedkar Centres of Excellence (DACE) SchemePan India from Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
- After the launch of the DACE Scheme, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between the selected 31 Universities and Dr. Ambedkar Foundation, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India.
- The DACEs are being set up to provide high qualityfree coaching facilitiesto the Scheduled Caste students forthe Civil Services examinations, conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
LG Baggavalli Somashekar Raju takes over as Vice Chief of Army Staff
Lieutenant General Baggavalli Somashekar Raju take over as the Vice Chief of the Army Staff An alumnus of Sainik School Bijapur and National Defence Academy, he was commissioned in the JAT Regiment on 15th December 1984.
- Prior to taking over as the Vice Chief of the Army Staff, the General Officer was tenanting the appointment of Director General Military Operations during the standoff on the LAC.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Indigenous Aircraft Carrier Vikrant to be handed over to Indian Navy by August, 2022
The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier Vikrant being built by the Cochin Shipyard Ltd will be handed over to the Indian Navy by August this year.
- The yard is in the process of setting up a new drydock, with a 600-tonne gantry crane, capable of handling vessels up to Suezmax, aircraft carriers of 70,000 tonnes displacement, Jack-up rigs and LNG vessels.
- The International Ship Repair Facility being established by the Shipyard will have a 6,000-tonne shiplift, six work stations, besides a total outfitting berth of 1,500 metres.
Former Bangladesh Finance Minister AMA Muhith passes away
Former Bangladesh Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith passed away in Dhaka after a brief illness. He was 88.
- AMA Muhith was widely acclaimed as an economist, diplomat and a bureaucrat. He was also a veteran of the language movement and freedom fighter. He was one of the country’s longest serving finance ministers who steered Bangladesh to become a successful, high growth economy.
- Among his many achievements he is credited with mobilising domestic resources for the prestigious Padma bridge after the World Bank withdrew its proposed USD 1.2 billion dollar funding.
Veteran Hong Kong actor Kenneth Tsang dies in Covid quarantine hotel
Veteran Hong Kong actor Kenneth Tsang died while in a COVID-19 quarantine hotel in the southern Chinese city.
- Tsang was best known internationally for his action roles in the 2002 James Bond film ‘Die Another Day,’ John Woo’s ‘The Killer’ in 1989, ‘Rush Hour 2’ in 2001 starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker.