Daily Current Affairs 2 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM to receive award in US for Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will receive “Global Goalkeeper Award 2019” from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan during his visit to the United States in September 2019.
- The Swachh Bharat Mission was launched in 2014 and its components include the construction of household toilets, community and public toilets and solid waste management.
PM Modi inaugurates Garvi Gujarat Bhavan in New Delhi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Garvi Gujarat Bhawan in New Delhi. The new building situated at Akbar Road in the national capital has been built at a cost of around 131 crore rupees by the Gujarat Government.
- The Bhavan is equipped with traditional and modern artefacts and technologies and will serve as a home for Gujaratis in the national capital. It will represent the culture, craft and cuisine of Gujarat.
Higher penalties for violating traffic rules come into force
The amended provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, which hike the penalty for traffic rules violation have come into force from 01st September 2019. As many as 63 clauses of the Act, which correspond to an increase in the fine for traffic rule violation came into force
- The fine for jumping red-light has been revised from 1,000 rupees earlier to 5,000 rupees now. Driving without wearing the seat belt, which earlier invited a fine of 100 rupees will now attract a fine of 1,000 rupees.
CSMC 46th Meeting – 3 lakh More Houses in Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) approves around 3 lakh (2,98,783) more affordable houses under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban. In PMAY Urban Housing Scheme, central government led by PM Narendra Modi aims to provide affordable houses to the poor people in urban areas who does not have their own home.
UP CM Yogi Adityanath launches ‘National Nutrition Month’ campaign in Lucknow
With an aim to make the Rashtriya Poshan Maah (National Nutrition Month) a success, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath launched a month long drive against malnutrition in the state and stressed on the need for public participation in order to make the campaign successful.
- He said that if a country’s children are weak and malnourished, the youth of that nation can never become strong
Haryana CM announces Rs 4,750 cr package for farmers
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced a package worth Rs 4,750 crores for farmers in the state. He waived off penalty and interest on crop loans in three schemes to give relief to farmers.
- The Chief Minister also waived penalty on loans taken from Primary Cooperative Agriculture Societies (PACS) saying that 8.25 lakh farmers have defaulted in repayment of loans.
Assam: Tinsukia Junction becomes 4000th railway station to get free public Wi-Fi
Tinsukia Junction Railway Station in Tinsukia, Assam has become the 4,000th railway station in the country to have free public Wi-Fi service.
- The journey started from Mumbai Central in January 2016 and in coming few weeks all railway stations, except the halt stations, will have fast and free Railwire Wi-Fi.
- Free Wi-Fi services are being provided to passengers under ‘RailWire’- the retail Broadband initiative of RailTel catering to Enterprises, SMEs and homes.
Asia’s only 5th Generation – VR based simulator centre launched at Chennai by AASI
Asia’s first 5th Generation – Virtual Reality based Advanced Driver Training Simulator Centre was launched at the Automobile Association of Southern India Centre (AASI), Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- At a very nominal cost of Rs 100 for an 8-minute session, existing drivers can make use of this simulator to learn the advanced techniques of driving and implement it in their day to day driving style. Through this specialized training module, drivers learn to anticipate adverse situations on road and make safe decisions with minimum to no risk for self and general public on road.
Three day long International Snack Festival organised in Hyderabad
The Telangana Tourism and the Department of Language & Culture in association with Culture language Indian Connections (CLIC), Hyderabad Metro Rail Limited (HMRL), L&T Metro is organised an International Snacks Festival from August 30 to September 1 at four metro stations in Hyderabad.
- Home makers prepared their traditional sweets usually made in their states or country. Those sweets were exhibited and sold at the festival. The International participants (Expats students studying in Hyderabad)are representing countries such as Mozambique, Comoros, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, China, South Korea, Ethiopia and Afghanistan.
US and ASEAN kick off first ever joint maritime exercise in South China Sea
The US and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) are going to conduct their first joint maritime exercises ASEAN-U.S. Maritime Exercise (AUMX) in the disputed South China Sea.
- The military exercise will last for five days beginning at Thailand Sattahip Naval base and will conclude in Singapore.
- More than 1,000 personnel are taking part in the US-proposed five-day exercise. Part of the drill is based on a scenario that ships are suspected of engaging in illegal activities.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India 9th on happiness index among 28 nations: Survey
“Global Happiness Survey” from market research firm Ipsos said that when it come to happiness, Indians consider good financial conditions and physical well-being among the top-most reasons to remain joyous, adding that India ranked 9th on happiness index among 28 global markets.
- Australia and Canada tied at the top spot (at 86 per cent) and emerged as the happiest nations of the world.
Edelweiss Group, Central Bank of India partner to co-lend to MSMEs
ECL Finance, a subsidiary of Edelweiss Financial Services, and government-owned Central Bank of India have signed an agreement for priority sector lending to micro, small and medium enterprise (MSME) customers.
MeitY and Google partner to ‘Build for Digital India’
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and Google have signed a statement of intent to roll-out ‘Build for Digital India,’ a programme that will give engineering students a platform to develop market-ready, technology-based solutions that address key social problems.
- The programme will invite bright ideas and solutions from students to focus on areas of healthcare, agriculture, education, smart cities and infrastructure, women safety, smart mobility and transportation, environment, accessibility and disability and digital literacy.
Haryana Police wrestler bags gold at World Police and Fire Games
Constable Baljit of Haryana Police has won a gold medal in the 130-kg wrestling category of the recently concluded World Police and Fire Games (WPFG) International Championship held in Chengdu, China.
Ishant Sharma overtakes Kapil Dev as most successful Indian pacer outside Asia
Ishant Sharma has became the most successful Indian pace bowler outside Asia, surpassing Kapil Dev who held the record till now.
- He achieved the feat on the third day of the ongoing second Test between India and West Indies here at Sabina Park in Kingston, Jamaica.
Malinga surpasses Afridi to become highest wicket-taker in T20Is
Sri Lankan pacer Lasith Malinga has become the highest wicket-taker in the T20I cricket, surpassing Pakistan’s all-rounder Shahid Afridi.
- Malinga brought his tally to 99 wickets, surpassing Afridi’s total haul of 98 wickets.
Charles Leclerc wins Belgian Grand Prix 2019 to script maiden win
Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc won the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps to record the maiden victory of his career.
- The 21-year-old also became the third-youngest winner in F1 history.
Hyderabad man registers name in Guinness World Records
Martial artist Sai Deepak from Hyderabad registered his name Guinness World Records. He did 87 one leg full contact knee strikes in 3 minutes while wearing 5-kilogram ankle weight.