Daily Current Affairs 20 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
First indigenous aircraft carrier to be ready by 2020
Vikrant, India’s first home-made aircraft carrier, will be ready for induction by 2020. The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier has been named Vikrant after the first aircraft carrier that India had — INS Vikrant, which was HMS Hercules for the British Royal Navy before India bought it after it was decommissioned by the UK.
- This year, at the Republic Day Parade, the aircraft carrier will feature on the Navy’s tableau, portraying the high level of indigenisation in the Indian Navy.
India Becomes 43rd Member of Australia Group
- India has joined the Australia Group export control regime and has become the 43rd Member of that Group. It is an informal forum which seeks to ensure that exports do not contribute to the development of chemical or biological weapons.
Government Announces List of 9 New Smart Cities
Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri announced the list of nine new Smart Cities, which have emerged winners in Round 4.
- These nine cities are, Silvassa in Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Erode in Tamil Nadu, Diu in Daman and Diu, Bihar Sharif in Bihar, Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh, Itanagar in Arunachal Pradesh, Moradabad in Uttar Pradesh, Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh and Kavaratti in Lakshadweep.
T’gana, Tokyo body sign MoU for municipal waste incineration
The Telangana government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Clean Authority of Tokyo in connection with municipal solid waste incineration.
- The firm will set up a solar park to support the egg production facility including the development of storage devices.
Jammu and Kashmir to host international martial arts event
Jammu and Kashmir will host first ever international martial arts games, in which over 15 countries are expected to participate, in the first week of October this year in the summer capital Srinagar.
BANKING & FINANCE
Mauritius largest source of FDI in India, says RBI
According to a census by the Reserve Bank, Mauritius was the largest source of foreign investment in India, followed by the US and the UK.
- Of the 18,667 companies that participated in the census, 17,020 had FDI/overseas direct investment in their balance sheets in March 2017, it said.
India defeat Pak to win Blind Cricket World Cup
Defending Champions India thrashed Pakistan by two wickets to win the finals of the fifth edition of the Blind Cricket World Cup at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium in the UAE.
Ronaldinho: Brazilian World Cup winner retires from football
Brazilian World Cup winner Ronaldinho has retired from football, although he has not played a game since 2015.
- Ronaldinho, 37, was part of the triumphant Brazil 2002 World Cup squad, won the Champions League in 2006 with Barcelona and won the Balon d’Or in 2005.
Former Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel appointed MP Governor
Gujarat’s first woman Chief Minister Anandiben Patel has been appointed as Governor of Madhya Pradesh. The post of Madhya Pradesh Governor was vacant and Gujarat Governor O.P. Kohli was assigned the charge till now.
Sudeep Lakhtakia appointed new NSG DG
IPS officer Sudeep Lakhtakia has been appointed as the new director general of National Security Guard (NSG). He is currently serving as a special DG of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) headquarters.
President Kovind unveils book on self development in Delhi
President Ram Nath Kovind unveiled a book on heartfulness techniques and principles titled ‘The Heartfulness Way’.
- Authored by Kamlesh Patel, widely known as Daaji, the fourth Global Guide of Heartfulness, and Joshua Pollock, a heartfulness trainer and practitioner, the book promises to be a treat for those who are curious about what is heartfulness and how it can change our day-to-day lives.
Senior journalist Anindya Sengupta passes away
Senior journalist and Indian Journalists Association Secretary Anindya Sengupta, noted for sharp political and economic reporting has passed away.
Ex-Proteas all-rounder Dik Abed passes away
Former South Africa all-rounder Sulaiman ‘Dik’ Abed has passed away recently.