Daily Current Affairs 20 January 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India, Japan sign agreement on movement of ‘skilled workers’
India and Japan have signed a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) on a basic partnership framework for operation of the ‘specified skilled worker’ (SSW) system under which the Japanese government accepts foreign nationals who have a certain level of expertise and skill.
- SSW is a new status of residence created in Japan in April, 2019, to accept foreign nationals who have a certain level of expertise and skill. Indian nationals with certain professional and language skills will be eligible to work under the SSW system.
India’s first Labour Movement museum to come up in Kerala
The country’s first Labour Movement Museum, showcasing the history of world labour movement, would be launched in Kerala’s houseboat tourism hub, Alappuzha, Kerala.
- The museum would be launched as part of the LDF government’s second 100-day programme.
- The museum will feature a huge repository of documents and exhibits that shaped the labour movements across the continents and impacted Alappuzha, the cradle of the labour movement in the country, in particular and Kerala in general.
- The New Model Cooperative Society Limited, previously run by the Bombay Company, has been converted into the Labour Movement Museum. It will portray, through pictures, documents and other exhibits, the growth of the world labour movement and the history of Keralas labour movement .
Maharashtra government renames Nagpur’s GorewadaInternational Zoo after Bal Thackeray
The Maharashtra government has renamed Gorewada International Zoo in Nagpur as ‘Balasaheb Thackeray Gorewada International Zoological Park’.
- The zoological park will come up on nearly 2,000 hectares forest land and Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray will inaugurate the Indian safari at the zoo.
- Three special 40-seat capacity vehicles and an online ticket booking facility will be made available to the people as soon after the Indian safari is inaugurated.
Nitish Kumar inaugurates Bihar’s first state bird festival ‘Kalrav’
Bihar’s first state-level bird festival ‘Kalrav’ held at the world famous Nagi-Nakti bird sanctuaries in the Jamui district from January 15.
- Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar inaugurated the event and also launch the logo of the bird festival and also release a coffee table book on the birds available at the sanctuaries.
- The three –day event is expected to draw experts and bird lovers from all over the country.
Punjab CM launches scheme for allotment of fair price shops across state
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh virtually kicked off a state-wide scheme for allotment of 7,219 fair price shops (FPS) under his government’s flagship ‘Ghar Ghar Rozgar te Karobaar Mission’.
- This initiative would be instrumental in improving the economic condition of people, besides further strengthening the public distribution system to ensure seamless, fair and timely distribution.
- CM Amarinder Singh asked the allottees to ensure the ration meant for the poor reaches the genuine beneficiaries without illegal diversion of food grains.
BANKING & FINANCE
YES BANK partners with Aditya Birla ness themed credit card
Private sector lender YES Bank has teamed up with Aditya Birla Wellness Private Limited to launch ‘YES BANK Wellness’ and ‘YES BANK Wellness Plus’ credit cards, which aimed at the holistic health, self-care and wellness of consumers.
- With Wellness Card, YES Bank customers can avail complimentary health checkups or lifestyle benefits or consultations with doctors.
- This card has been designed keeping the holistic wellness needs of consumers.
- This credit card comes with first year membership fee of Rs 1,999 plus taxes and renewal fee of Rs 1,999 and taxes.
YES BANK launches YES MSME initiative to enable access to funding
YES Bank has launched the YES MSME initiative aimed at providing speedy and easy access to funds to the micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) sector of India.
- The YES Bank launched this programme during the SME Carnival across the private lender’s MSME focused branches across India.
- The disbursal of funds will be facilitated to address both business and individual requirements of MSMEs, encourage new age entrepreneurs and maximising their potential.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India set to procure more MiG-29s, Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft from Russia
The government is set to procure 21 MiG-29 and 12 Sukhoi-30MKI fighter aircraft from Russia, days after the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) approved the purchase of 83 Light Combat Aircraft Tejas from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). The Centre will also purchase the upgrades of the aircraft’s existing fleets.
- The MiG-29s are expected to be acquired at “relatively lower prices” and will add to 59 such jets already with the Indian Air Force (IAF). The 12 Sukhoi-30MKIs, on the other hand, will add to the existing fleet of 272 such fighter aircraft already contracted from Russia for around $15 billion, with the majority of them licensed to be produced by HAL.
- Along with the 83 new Tejas, to be inducted in the January 2024-December 2028 timeline, the additional MiG-29s and Sukhois will curb the decline in the number of IAF fighter planes and will add more firepower to the draining strength of the air force.
Telangana, Gujarat sign MoU to support women entrepreneurs
WE HUB, India’s first state-led incubator to foster and promote women entrepreneurship set up by Telangana Government, has announced its partnership with i-Hub of Gujarat, to encourage and support startups in raising capital.
- This partnership will initiate pre-incubation program for 240 aspiring women entrepreneurs in the EdTech, MedTech and Fintech sectors in Telangana and Gujarat. Post 3 months of pre-incubation program, 20 entrepreneurs will be selected for the final virtual/physical co-incubation program.
- This co-incubation brings in the startups the opportunity to scale up to viable enterprises and receive solid scale-up and rapid growth mentorship from the leaders at i-Hub and WE HUB. The startups will also have Government supported exposure visits across Telangana and Gujarat.
Dutch PM Mark Rutte and his entire cabinet quits over welfare scandal
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and his entire Cabinet resigned to take political responsibility for a scandal involving investigations into child welfare payments that wrongly labeled thousands of parents as fraudsters.
- However, the Rutte government will stay on in a caretaker role until parliamentary elections in March 2021.
- The resignation brings to an end a decade in office for Rutte, although his party is expected to win the election, putting him first in line to begin talks to form the next government. If he succeeds in forming a new coalition, Rutte would most likely again become prime minister.
Kiren Rijiju gets additional charge of Ayush Ministry
Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju has been temporarily assigned the charge of the Ministry of AYUSH, according to a Rashtrapati Bhavan communique issued.
- The move was necessitated as Shripad Yesso Naik, the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy (AYUSH) was undergoing treatment at a hospital in Goa.
Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal honoured by Canada’s Hindi Writers Guild
Union education minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank‘ was honoured by the Hindi Writers Guild, Canada for his literary work.
- Nishank was conferred with the “Sahitya Gaurav Samman” in the presence of the Governor through a virtual programme.
Dr V Shanta, renowned Indian oncologist passes away
Renowned oncologist, medical pioneer and head of the famous Cancer Institute, Chennai, Dr V Shanta, passed away. She was 93.
- A Padma Vibuhshan, Padma Bhushan, Padama Shri and Ramon Magsaysay awardee Shanta has played an important role along with Dr. Krishnamurthi in the development of the Cancer Institute (WIA) from a cottage hospital of 12 beds to a major comprehensive Cancer Centre of national and international stature. She has played a pioneering role in all the achievements of the Institute.
- Shanta has published over 95 papers in national and international journals, contributed chapters in Oncology books, delivered many prestigious orations and participated in many international and national conferences.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Vice President releases book Abdul Kalam- Ninaivugalukku Maranamillai
The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu releasing the book, “Abdul Kalam- Ninaivugalukku Maranamillai” in Chennai.
- The book ‘Abdul Kalam-Ninaivugalukku Maranamillai’ (immortal memories) has been penned by A P J M Nazema Maraikayar, the niece of the late President and by noted space scientist Y S Rajan.