Daily Current Affairs 20 January 2023 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
Kerala announces maternity leave of 60 days for female students above 18 years
Higher Education Minister in Kerala R Bindu announced that girl students above the age of 18 years would get maternity leave of 60 days.
- The required attendance percentage for female students will be 73 per cent, including the menstrual leave, as against 75 per cent earlier.
International Tourism Fair FITUR 2023 kicks off in Madrid
India is currently participating in an international tourism trade fair in Madrid to help expedite the recovery of the country’s inbound tourism to the pre-pandemic levels, officials said.
- Feria Internacional del Turismo or FITUR is being hosted in Spain from January 18-22.The Ministry of Tourism is participating in FITUR, which is one of the world’s largest international travel exhibitions.
- India’s participation in it is “significant to step up the recovery of inbound tourism to pre-pandemic levels”, the ministry said in a statement. The ministry has taken a space of 253 sqm, with over 30 participants co-exhibiting with the India Pavilion to participate in the exhibition.
India announces 100 million Maldivian Rufiyaa for community development projects in Maldives
External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar arrived in Maldives as part of his three-day visit to Maldives and Sri Lanka. After reaching at Manadhoo, Dr. Jaishankar held discussions with Maldivian Foreign Minister Abdulla Shahid on strengthening India-Maldives cooperation and took stock of ongoing development projects financed by India in Maldives.
- He said the MoUs and agreements are a reaffirmation of a strong developmental partnership between the two countries. He expressed happiness on witnessing an MoU between Maldivian National University and Kochi University of Science & Technology.
- Dr. Jaishankar announced an additional grant of 100 Million Maldivian rupiyas for more such community development projects.
- Dr. Jaishankar and his Maldivian counterpart also reviewed several other ongoing projects which included Greater Male connectivity project and construction of 4000 social housing units.
India becomes first country to extend assurance to Sri Lanka for its debt restructuring
External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar arrived in Sri Lanka as part of his three-day visit to Maldives and Sri Lanka.
- External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar has said India will stand by Sri Lanka in its hour of need to overcome the challenges it currently faces. He added that India has taken proactive steps and extended financial assurances to the IMF without waiting for the other creditors.
- Dr Jaishankar added that India is a reliable neighbour and a trustworthy partner who is prepared to go to the extra mile. He said this during his official visit to Sri Lanka. With this announcement India has become the first creditor nation to extend assurance towards restructuring the debt of Sri Lanka as the island nation makes efforts to unlock a bridge financing package from IMF.
BANKING & FINANCE
PNB launches credit card against fixed deposit (FD)
State-owned Punjab National Bank (PNB) offers credit cards against Fixed Deposit to customers who don’t meet the eligibility criteria for regular credit cards.
- This facility will be available for salary account customers, and they shall be able to apply through the mobile banking app PNB One, website or Internet Banking Service (IBS).
- PNB becomes the first public sector bank to launch credit card against fixed deposits digitally. Get your RuPay or VISA credit card digitally against single or multiple FDs with 80% credit limit.
Rohit Sharma breaks MS Dhoni’s record of most sixes in ODIs in India
India captain Rohit Sharma edged former skipper MS Dhoni’s all-time record for most sixes in ODIs in the country during the match against New Zealand.
- Rohit, who has played 238 matches, has hit 125 sixes, two more than MSD. Sachin Tendulkar is third with 71 maximums coming from his bat, while Yuvraj Singh is fourth on the list. Rohit, who is currently batting, has scored more than 10,000 runs in ODIs, which comprises 29 centuries.
- Rohit went past Dhoni’s all-time record in the fifth over of the game. He hit a six off Henry Shipley to go past Dhoni.
Praveen Sharma appointed as Director of National Health Authority
Praveen Sharma has been selected for appointment as Director in the National Health Authority (Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission) under the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- As per the order issued from the Department of Personnel & Training (DoPT), Sharma has been appointed to the post under the Central Staffing Scheme for a period of five years with effect from the date of taking over charge of the post or until further orders, whichever event takes place earlier.
- Sharma is an Indian Defence Service of Engineers (IDSE) officer of 2005 batch.
Nepalese doctor wins Bahrain’s $1m Isa Award for Services to Humanity
Dr. Sanduk Ruit, a Nepali ophthalmologist, received the $1 million Isa Award for Services to Humanity from Bahrain’s King Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa during a ceremony at Isa Cultural Center at Al-Fateh Compound in Manama. He is the award’s fifth laureate.
- Over the course of 30 years, Ruit has performed more than 50,000 eye surgeries in Asia, Africa and his home country, aided by a team of 30 specialists.
- His Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology, a non-profit and independent organization, operates two hospitals, 16 field centers, and mobile clinics that have assisted thousands of patients in countries such as Bhutan, Thailand, Pakistan, Ethiopia, China, India and North Korea.
New Goa Manohar International Airport Wins “Best Sustainable Greenfield Airport” award
Goa Manohar International Airport (MIA) has been awarded the prestigious “Best Sustainable Greenfield Airport” award under Aviation Sustainability and Environment at the ASSOCHAM 14th International Conference.
- The awards were presented to senior officials of GGIAL by Union Civil Aviation Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia.
- The award was presented for “outstanding initiatives” taken by Goa International Airport Limited (GGIAL) in implementing sustainability.
Renowned Assamese poet Nilamani Phukan passes away
Renowned Assamese poet and Jnanpith winner Nilamani Phookan passed away at Guwahati Medical College & Hospital (GMCH) at the age of 89.
- He was also awarded the 1981 Sahitya Akademi Award in Assamese for his poetry collection, Kavita (Kabita) and he was awarded the Padma Shri by the government of India in 1990 and received the Sahitya Akademi Fellowship, the highest literary honour in India, given by Sahitya Akademi, India’s National Academy of Letters in 2002.
- His notable works include Surya Henu Nami Ahe Ei Nodiyedi, Manas-pratima, and Kabita.