Daily Current Affairs 20 June 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
No drinking water will be available by 2030 if we don’t conserve now: Report
The recent report of NITI Ayog on groundwater level says 21 Indian cities including Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai and Hyderabad – will run out of groundwater by 2020, affecting around 100 million people.
- It also says that 40 per cent of India’s population will have no access to drinking water by 2030.
Himachal Pradesh makes GPS device must for trekkers
The Himachal Pradesh government makes mandatory for trekkers to carry a GPS device so that they can be provided all possible help in case of any emergency.
- Kullu and Dalhousie have been identified for installation of early warning system.
- Rampur and Mandi towns have been zeroed in for setting up the relief and rescue base of National Disaster Response Force.
NPCI ties up with Telangana for MeeSeva services
The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has entered into an agreement with the Government of Telangana to offer MeeSeva portal users the option to pay using UPI Collect Request, RuPay Debit and Credit Cards for the services on the portal.
- The MeeSeva portal of the State government offers over 150 government services and surpassed 100 million transactions last year.
Diamond Jubilee of the Oldest Naval Air Squadron
Indian Navy’s first Naval Air Squadron 550 celebrated its Diamond Jubilee at naval base Kochi after Completing 60 glorious years of yeoman service to the nation.
- The squadron has flown 14 different types of aircraft starting with the Sea land Aircraft to the Dornier maritime reconnaissance aircraft being presently flown.
2020 QS World University Rankings: IIT Bombay emerges as best institution in India
Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT), Bombay, IIT Delhi and Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore have found a place among the top 200 in the prestigious Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings released recently.
- The QS global rankings 2020, which was released in London, has 50 new entrants globally and India-based OP Jindal Global University (JGU), established in 2009, has become the youngest university to break into top 1,000 in the prestigious rankings.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) of USA has been ranked first in the list.
India extends $15 mn assistance to Niger for holding AU summit
India has extended USD 15 million assistance to Niger for organising the African Union (AU) summit scheduled to be held in Niamey early next month.
- The summit is scheduled to be held in Niamey from July 7-8. It will also be the first time that Niger is scheduled to host an AU summit.
World to get half its power from wind, solar by 2050
According to a report released by BloombergNEF, nearly half the world’s electricity will come from renewable energy by 2050 as costs of wind, solar and battery storage continue to plummet.
Bangladesh has emerged as fastest growing economy among 45 countries of Asia-Pacific region: ADB
Bangladesh has emerged as the fastest growing economy among the 45 countries of the Asia-Pacific region according to Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- In the financial year 2018-19 Bangladesh attained growth rate of 7.9 % which is its fastest rate since 1974. The bank predicted that the growth will be 8% in the next financial year.
WHO offers a new tool for action against antimicrobial resistance
WHO offers a new tool “AWaRe” to contain rising antimicrobial resistance and make antibiotic use safer and more effective.
- AWaRe classifies antibiotics into three groups:
“Access” specifies which antibiotics to use for the most common and serious infections.
“Watch” specifies which ones should be available at all times in the healthcare system.
“Reserve” are those that must be used sparingly or preserved and used only as a last resort.
BANKING & FINANCE
IndusInd Bank-Bharat Financial merger to be effective from July 4
Private sector lender IndusInd Bank and Bharat Financial Inclusion Ltd (BFIL) said their merger will be effective from July 4.
- The National Company Law Tribunal on June 10, 2019 approved the Scheme of Arrangement among BFIL, IndusInd Bank and Induslnd Financial Inclusion and their respective shareholders and creditors.
IDBI Bank, Tata AIG in bancassurance pact
IDBI Bank has entered a bancassurance corporate agency agreement with Tata AIG. This is to provide the general insurer’s products to the bank’s two crore customers through its 1,850-plus branches.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
India’s GDP to slow down to 6.8 per cent in FY2020: DBS
DBS Bank has revised India’s GDP growth for fiscal year 2020 downwards to 6.8 per cent year-on-year (YoY) from 7 per cent projected earlier, citing headwinds for exports amidst challenging trade outlook.
Indian engineer wins Innovation Award in UK
Nitesh Kumar Jangir, an Indian engineer has won the 2019 Commonwealth Secretary General’s Innovation for Sustainable Development Award in the “People” category in London.
- Nitesh Kumar Jangir created Saans, a breathing support device to tackle avoidable deaths of premature babies from respiratory distress syndrome.
World Refugee Day
World Refugee Day is celebrated around the world on 20th June to raise awareness about the precarious condition of refugees around the world who have been forced to leave their homes due to war, persecution and conflict.
- The theme for 2019 World Refugee Day is : “Step With Refugees — Take A Step on World Refugee Day.”