Daily Current Affairs 14 March 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Goa govt launches chatbot to create awareness about coronavirus
Goa Health Minister Vishwajit P Rane has launched a chatbot Cobot-19 to create awareness about coronavirus among the citizens.The Chatbot has been developed in association with Portea Medical and Verloop.
- This Chatbot as a unified official point of communication for all COVID-19 related information. It is revolutionary and will be an effective interface to stem the flow of misinformation and clear doubts around the disease.
Centre launches MyGov Corona Helpdesk on WhatsApp
In a bid to reduce panic among the citizens pertaining to COVID-19, the Central Government launched an official chatbot on popular instant messaging application WhatsApp.
- This WhatsApp Chatbot is named MyGov Corona Helpdesk and is available to all WhatsApp users.
- The person in need is only required to save the number – 9013151515 in their contact list and send a message to the MyGov Corona Helpdesk.
Ministry of Railways plans to electrify balance BG routes by December 2023
The Ministry of Railways has planned to electrify balance Broad Gauge (BG) routes of the Indian Railways by December 2023.
- The Ministry has planned 6,000 km route each for 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22. It has planned 6,500 km route electrification for 2022-23.
- A total of 4,310 km route electrification will be done up to December 2023. In all a total of 28,810 km route electrification will be carried out.
J&K announces Rs 5L free health insurance for residents
In a major relief to the people of Jammu & Kashmir, the Administrative Council which met under the chairmanship of LG Girish Chander Murmu accorded sanction to roll out the Jammu & Kashmir Health Scheme to provide free of cost Universal Health Coverage to all residents of the Union Territory in convergence with Ayushman Bharat-PMJAY.
- Under this Universal Health Coverage, the beneficiaries shall be entitled to free health insurance cover of Rs 5 lakh per family per year on floater basis and there is no restriction on family size, age or gender
BANKING & FINANCE
ADB announces $6.5 billion initial response to COVID-19 pandemic
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has announced a 6.5 billion dollar initial package to address the immediate needs of its developing member countries (DMCs) as they respond to novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- The initial package includes about 3.6 billion dollars in sovereign operations for a range of responses to the health and economic consequences of the pandemic, and 1.6 billion dollars in non-sovereign operations for micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises, domestic and regional trade, and firms directly impacted.
DBS Bank, Bharti AXA join hands for insurance plan covering Covid-19
DBS Bank India said it has tied-up with Bharti AXA to roll out a complimentary insurance plan covering all medical conditions, including Covid-19.
- The plan would cover all medical conditions, including Covid-19, and up to 10 days of hospitalisation, with a cover of Rs 5,000 per day, for a 30-day period.
- Additionally, all DBS customers can purchase health insurance products that are currently offered on the digibank app through their general insurance partner
RBI renews authorisation to Vakrangee for white label ATMs
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the validity of authorisation issued to Vakrangee Ltd to set up, own and operate white label automated teller machines (ATMs) in India.
- The validity has been extended till March 31, 2021. White label ATMs are operated by non-bank entities.
- The ATMs deployed will be in the ratio of 1:2:3 and applicable for metro and urban, semi-urban and rural regions respectively
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
WhatsApp donates $1 million to International Fact-Checking Network for coronavirus facts alliance
WhatsApp announced the global launch of the WhatsApp Coronavirus Information Hub in partnership with the World Health Organization, UNICEF, and UNDP, besides a $1 million donation to the Poynter Institute’s International Fact-Checking Network (IFCN).`
- The WhatsApp Coronavirus Information Hub has been launched to provide simple, actionable guidance for health workers, educators, community leaders, nonprofits, local governments and local businesses that rely on WhatsApp to communicate
All Rounder Andrew Malcolm Ellis announces retirement
New Zealand(NZ) all-rounder Andrew Malcolm Ellis (37) announced his retirement from cricket after 18 years of his career.
- After Ross Taylor he became the 2nd player in NZ to play over 100 games in each format.
- He finished his career with 9366 runs & 548 wickets.
Former SBI chief Arundhati Bhattacharya resigns from Crisil board
Crisil said Arundhati Bhattacharya, the past chairman of State Bank of India, has submitted her resignation as independent director of the company effective April 15.
- In her resignation, Bhattacharya has indicated that the reason for her resignation is her decision to accept a full time role as chairperson and CEO in another company
Madhya Pradesh CM Kamal Nath submits his resignation to Guv
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath tendered his resignation to Governor Lalji Tandon and stated that the recent turn of events in the state adds new chapter in the weakening of democratic principles.
- His move comes a day after the Supreme Court directed that a floor test be conducted in Madhya Pradesh Assembly to prove that the Congress government led by him enjoys majority in the House following the rebellion by 22 MLAs of his party.
Former world champion boxer Roger Mayweather passes away
Roger Mayweather, a two-time world champion turned trainer and uncle of unbeaten boxing great Floyd Mayweather, has died at the age of 58
- He won world titles in super featherweight and super lightweight
Former Indian football team captain Pradip Kumar Banerjee passes away at 83
Former India captain,coach and Technical Director Pradip Kumar Banerjee, breathed his last at a private hospital in Kolkata after a prolonged illness. He was 83.
- He was an integral part of India’s gold medal-winning team in the 1962 Asian Games and even scored in the final against South Korea as India fought against all odds to script a historic 2-1 triumph in Jakarta.
- Furthermore, he captained the national side in the 1960 Rome Olympics and scored the equaliser against France to help India register a 1-1 draw.He represented India in 36 official matches, wearing the captain’s armband in six of them. In the process, he scored 19 goals for the country.
- He was also the first footballer to receive the Arjuna Award (in 1961), and was awarded the prestigious Padma Shri Award in 1990. Banerjee was also bestowed with the FIFA Fairplay Award (in 1990), and the FIFA Centennial Order of Merit in 2004.
International Day of Happiness
The International Day of Happiness is celebrated across the world every year on March 20. International Day of Happiness founded to promote happiness as a fundamental human right for all human beings.
- The theme of the International Day of Happiness 2020 is “Happier Together”. It focuses on what we have in common, rather than what divides us
- International Day of Happiness launched the campaign theme for this year dedicated to uniting humanity and winning the fight against the global pandemic.Through the campaign – ‘Happiness For All, Together’– the organisation urges all 206 nations and territories on the planet to fight the tough times together by following the ‘ten steps to global happiness.’