Daily Current Affairs 20 November 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi’s government the third most trusted in the world, reveals survey
The Indian government is the third most trusted government in the world, a survey by the World Economic Forum (WEF) has revealed.
- The survey has revealed that almost three-quarters of Indians say they have confidence in their national government.
- According to the WEF, the survey was based on factors like the state of the economy, political upheaval, and headline-grabbing events like major corruption cases.
- The list is topped by Switzerland, followed by Indonesia, while India grabs the third spot.
Delhi’s Khan Market is the world’s 24th most expensive retail location, 11th in Asia-Pacific
The posh Khan Market in South Delhi has been ranked as the 24th most expensive retail location in the world. According to the Cushman and Wakefield, with Rs 1,250 per sq ft, Khan Market is the most expensive location in the country to rent a shop.
- The top spot on the list was bagged by Upper 5th Avenue in New York, followed by Causeway Bay in Hong Kong.
- In Asia-Pacific, Khan Market was ranked the 11th most expensive retail location.
FOGSI launches ‘Manyata’ – a nationwide movement for quality maternal care in India
The Federation of Obstetric and Gynecological Societies of India in partnership with MSD for Mothers, MacArthur Foundation and Jhpiego (an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University), launched ‘Manyata’ – a nationwide movement urging the need for quality care for mothers during and immediately after childbirth when risks of life-threatening complications are the highest.
- The movement was flagged off by Bollywood actor Shilpa Shetty and Pankaja Munde, Minister of Rural Development, Women and Child Welfare, Government of Maharashtra.
13th Asia-Europe Foreign Ministers’ Meeting begins in Nay Pyi Taw
13th Asia-Europe Foreign Ministers’ Meeting began in Myanmar’s capital city of Nay Pyi Taw with a total of 51 countries participating in the meeting.
- The Asia–Europe Meeting (ASEM) is an Asian–European political dialogue forum to enhance relations and various forms of cooperation between its partners. India is one of the partner countries of ASEM.
Sarajevo Haggadah listed in UNESCO’s Memory of the World
Sarajevo Haggadah, the 14th- century richly illuminated Hebrew manuscript, which was brought to Sarajevo through the efforts of Jews fleeing persecution in Spain, has been included in UNESCO’s Memory of the World Register.
- Haggadah in Hebrew means a story, handwritten on parchment, and it is read by family members on the occasion of the Jewish feast of Passover. It has been kept at the National Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina since 1894.
- UNESCO’s Memory of the World Programme is an international initiative launched to safeguard the documentary heritage of humanity against collective amnesia, neglect, the ravages of time and climatic conditions, and willful and deliberate destruction.
- UNESCO’s Memory of the World Register also include 3 documentary heritage from India namely The I.A.S. Tamil Medical Manuscript Collection, Saiva Manuscript in Puducherry and Rigveda
BANKING & FINANCE
India, World Bank sign loan agreement towards Solar Parks Project
The union government and the World Bank signed a guarantee agreement for USD 98 million and grant agreement for USD 2 million for the “Shared Infrastructure for Solar Parks Project.”
- The objective of the project is to increase solar generation capacity through establishment of large-scale parks in the country. The project will help establish large-scale solar parks and support the government’s plan to install 100 Gigawatts (GW) of solar power out of a total renewable-energy target of 175 GW by 2022.
Govt increases issue size of Bharat 22 ETF to Rs 14,500 cr
As per a notification from Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM), in view of positive response from investors, the government has decided to increase the New Fund Offer (NFO) size of Bharat 22 ETF from Rs. 8,000 crore to Rs. 14,500 crore, to cater to the demand of retail investors and retirement funds.
NRIs, PIOs don’t need to link bank a/c, PAN with Aadhaar: UIDAI
The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) announced that NRIs and PIOs are not required to link bank accounts and other services with Aadhaar.
- It also said that the Prevention of Money laundering Rules 2017 and the Income Tax Act clearly stipulate that the linking of bank accounts and PAN respectively, “is for those persons who are eligible to enrol for Aadhaar”.
Gates 3 & 4 of Feroz Shah Kotla to be named after Anjum Chopra
A month after the Gate No.2 was dedicated to former India opener Virender Sehwag, the Ferozshah Kotla Ground in the national capital will have another couple of gates named after ex-Indian women’s team captain Anjum Chopra.
- The Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) has decided to name the Gate No. 3 and 4 of the stadium after the cricketer-turned-commentator, who represented the country in six World Cups.
Women’s Youth World Boxing Ch’ship begins in Guwahati
Women’s Youth World Boxing Championship began in Guwahati, Assam which will be held from November 19 to 26. In the Ch’ship, 193 registered boxers from 39 countries would participate and the prestigious competition will be held in India for the first time.
- Mary Com is the Ambassador of 2017 AIBA youth women’s World boxing championship. Assam’s famed one-horned rhino – Guppy – is the official mascot, and ‘Make Some Noise’ its anthem.
Afghanistan win U-19 Asia cup creates history
Afghanistan U-19 cricket team thrashed Pakistan to bag the Asia Youth Cup trophy in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. The team inflicted a 185-run defeat on Pakistan, making it a history for the Afghanistan cricket.
Simona Halep and Nadal lead WTA rankings
Romanian tennis player Simona Halep continued to lead the Women’s Tennis Association rankings, while Spain’s Garbiñe Muguruza remained in second place.
- Spain’s Rafael Nadal remained in the number one spot in the men’s Association of Tennis Professionals world singles rankings, while Switzerland’s Roger Federer came in second.
Girish Karnad conferred with Tata Literature Live Lifetime Achievement Award
Actor-playwright Girish Karnad was conferred with Lifetime Achievement Award for his outstanding contribution in the field of theatre at the Tata Literature Live in Mumbai.
Former Union Minister Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi passes away
Veteran Congress leader and former Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi, who was in coma since 2008, has passed away. He had also served as the President of All India Football Federation (AIFF) for 20 long years since December 1988.
Bengali actress Rita Koiral passes away
Bengali film and television actress Rita Koiral passed away after a three-month battle with liver cancer.