Daily Current Affairs 20 October 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
PM Modi inaugurates Kushinagar International Airport in UP
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Kushinagar International Airport in Uttar Pradesh, which will help connect key Buddhist pilgrimage sites.
- Kushinagar is an important Buddhist pilgrim destination, and is believed to be the final resting place of Gautam Buddha. It is also at the centre of a Buddhist tourist circuit, which includes Lumbini (Nepal), Sarnath and Bodhgaya.
Rajasthan launches ‘Prashasan Gaon ke Sang’ Campaign
To enable access to 22 departments of the local administration for people of the remotest villages in Rajasthan, the state government has launched a mega campaign ‘Prashasan Gaon ke Sang’.
- Under the campaign, the departments would be holding camps at every gram panchayat to offer on-spot solutions to the applicants.
- The campaign commenced on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti (October 2, 2021) will continue till December 17, 2021.
Amit Shah flags off ‘Modi Van’ to mark 20 years of PM Modi in public office
Union Home Minister Amit Shah flagged off ‘Modi Van’ under the ‘Seva hi Sangathan’ programme to mark Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s 20 years in public life.The special van will operate under the aegis of Kaushambi Vikas Parishad, which is run by BJP’s National Secretary Vinod Sonkar.
- Five Modi Van will be operated in the five Vidhan Sabha constituencies across the Uttar Pradesh’s Kaushambi district. There is a control office for the vans. It will be operated from these control offices.
- The Modi van will consist of a 32-inch television and a high-speed internet service which will broadcast PM Modi’s monthly radio broadcast ‘Mann Ki Baat’
- The van will also consist of telemedicine. The van has is equipped with a machine that can test 39 blood samples in one go. The van will also release a weekly medical bulletin.
52nd International Film Festival of India to be held in Goa in hybrid format from November 20 to 28
The Media Registration for 52nd International Film Festival of India (IFFI) is now open.
- The 52nd edition of the IFFI will be held in Goa from November 20 – 28. Considering the present COVID-19 situation, the 52nd IFFI will be held in a hybrid format.
Centre extends PMGKP insurance scheme for healthcare workers for 180 days
The Centre has extended the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package– PMGKP Insurance Scheme for Healthcare Workers fighting COVID-19 for a further period of 180 days so as to continue to provide the safety net to the dependents of health workers who are deputed to take care of COVID-19 patients.
- The Ministry said that since the Covid-19 pandemic has still not abated and deaths of health workers deployed for COVID-related duties are still being reported from different States and UTs, accordingly, the decision was taken to extend the period of this policy.
- The Ministry said, so far, one thousand 351 claims have been paid under the scheme.
Around USD 4 trillion required in clean energy investment to limit global warming: IEA
An almost USD 4 trillion investment into clean energy is required to meet the Paris Agreement pledge to limit the global temperature increase to 1.5 degrees Celsius, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said in its World Energy Outlook 2021 report.
- The IEA mentioned some developing economies financing such projects, citing India’s expansion of solar panels, while also noting “persistent challenges, many of which have been exacerbated by the [COVID-19] pandemic.
- The IEA report was issued ahead of the UN Climate Change Conference, or COP26, which will take place in Glasgow from October 31 to November 12.
India ranks 40th out of 43 global pension systems, as per survey
India has ranked 40th out of 43 pension systems across the world in the 2021 Mercer CFS Global Pension Index survey, suggesting the need for strategic reforms in India to revamp the pension system so as to ensure adequate retirement income. India had stood at 34th position out of 39 pension systems rated in 2020.
- According to the survey, India had an overall index value of 43.3 among the countries analysed, lower than the index value of 45.7 for 2020. Globally, Iceland was ranked highest with an overall index value of 84.2 while Thailand had the lowest overall index value at 40.6.
- The index highlights key strengths of retirement pension systems around three sub-indexes – adequacy, sustainability and integrity, where India scored 33.5, 41.8 and 61.0 respectively.
BANKING & FINANCE
Tata AIG announces launch of RPAS insurance and distribution tie-up with TropoGo
Tata AIG General Insurance Co. Ltd announced the launch of Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) insurance, and distribution tie-up with TropoGo, a deep-tech startup.
- Tropogo has established an integrated marketplace providing a one-stop shop for the complete drone ecosystem.
- Tata AIG’s RPAS insurance is a comprehensive product covering both Hull and Third-Party Liability risks faced by them. Tata AIG’s RPAS insurance also provides optional coverage for BVLOS operations, night flying, data loss liability, etc.”
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NSE, Bengaluru blockchain start-up launch ‘NSE-Shine’ for bullion trade
National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) in collaboration with Bengaluru-based startup Chainflux has launched NSE-Shine, a blockchain platform for gold bullion.
The platform will provide a data framework for bullion bar integrity for settlement of Gold derivatives contracts.
- The India Gold Policy Centre (IGPC) at the Indian Institute of Management – Ahmedabad (IIM-A) and the Indian Bullion and Jewellers’ Association (IBJA) have worked closely with the NSE and Chainflux to develop this blockchain-based platform.
- The features on the platform would help zcreate a bullion repository for all bullion bars produced by NSE-approved refiners as per the NSE Refiner Standards (NRS).
China win Uber Cup title after beating holders Japan in final
China won the Uber Cup after coming from behind to beat holders Japan 3-1 in the final in Aarhus, Denmark.
- This is the 15th time China have won the competition. The match pivoted on the longest match in the Uber Cup history when Chen Qing Chan/Jia Yi Fan won their doubles match.
Indonesia beat China to win Thomas Cup 2021
Indonesia beat defending champion China to win a record-extending 14th Thomas Cup title at the Ceres Arena in Aarhus, Denmark.
- This was Indonesia’s first victory in the showpiece final since 2002.China settled for silver while Japan and hosts Denmark shared the bronze.
- Indonesia are the most successful nation in the history of the team championship of men’s badminton with 14 titles, but had endured a nineteen year winless drought before this year victory.
Bhavani Devi, India’s first Olympic fencer, wins Charlellville National Competition in France
Fencer Bhavani Devi, who made history at the Tokyo Olympics by becoming the first Indian to compete in the sport at the Games, has won the Charlellville National Competition in France in the individual women’s sabre event.
- She is currently ranked 50th in the world and is the top-ranked fencer from India.
- She is eyeing a good show at the 2022 Asian Games and has started preparing for the multi-discipline sporting extravaganza.
Commodore Amit Rastogi (Retd) takes charge as CMD of NRDC
Retired commodore Amit Rastogi, after spending 34 years in Indian Navy, took over as the chairman and managing director of the National Research Development Corporation.
- He has held diverse portfolios in Indian Navy, state-of-the-art technology intensive combat systems and carries rich experience in induction of missile systems.
- He worked as Director of Electrical Engineering at Integrated Headquarters in Ministry of Defence for five years and also served as Additional General Manager Tech Services for two years at Naval Dockyard.
CoinDCX ropes in Ayushmann Khurrana as part of its ‘Future Yahi Hai’ Campaign
Cryptocurrency exchange CoinDCX announced that it has signed actor Ayushmann Khurana as the face for its latest campaign ‘Future Yahi Hain’.
- The drive is launched to address key concerns surrounding crypto investments amongst the Indian audience.
V Prez confers Assam govt’s biennial Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award
Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu conferred Assam Government’s biennial Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award for National Integration and National Contribution at a special function in Guwahati.
- Mr. Naidu will confer the awards to the Assam Branch of Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust, German based Assamese litterateur Dr. Nirod Kumar Baruah and Shillong Chamber Choir at Srimanta Sankardeva Kalakshetra. The award carries five lakh rupees, a citation and an Angabastram.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
‘Sir Syed Ahmad Khan: Reason, Religion And Nation’ book by Shafey Kidwai
The book titled ‘Sir Syed Ahmad Khan: Reason, Religion And Nation’ book by Sahitya Akademi awardee Professor Shafey Kidwai has been released recently.
- The book analyse Sir Syed Ahmad Khan the founder of Mohammedan Anglo-Oriental College that grew into Aligarh Muslim University.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched the book “Veer Savarkar: The Man Who Could Have Prevented Partition”
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has released the book titled “Veer Savarkar: The Man Who Could Have Prevented Partition”.
- The book–Veer Savarkar: The Man Who Could Have Prevented Partition—has been authored by Uday Mahurkar and Chirayu Pandit and published by Rupa publications.