Daily Current Affairs 20 September 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Open defecation down by 47 pc in India between 2000-2017: WHO-UNICEF report
As much as 43 per cent of Indians have gained access to basic sanitation, while the practice of open defecation decreased by 47 per cent in the country between 2000 and 2017, says a WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) report.
- The report says that the stated facts not only indicate a significant reduction in inequality but also point to a transformational shift in social norms and public health.
Mongolian President arrives in India to boost ties
Mongolian President Khaltmaagiin Battulga arrived in New Delhi on a five-day visit to India with an aim to intensify bilateral ties between the two countries.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Mongolian President Khaltmaagiin Battulga jointly unveiled the statue of Lord Buddha at Gandan Monastery in Ulan Bator, Mongolia via video conferencing.
Union Minister Gehlot launches MIS portal under Accessible India Campaign
Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot launched the Management Information System (MIS) portal for stakeholders of the Accessible India Campaign (AIC).
- Fully accessible for ‘divyangjans’, the MIS portal will bring all the nodal ministries, and states and Union Territories on a single platform for monitoring the progress being made against each target of AIC.
India to achieve 26 bn dollars Defence Industry by 2025: Rajnath Singh
Defence minister Rajnath Singh has said, India will achieve 26 Billion dollars Defence Industry by 2025. He said, Defence sector has been identified as one of the most prominent sectors under Make in India initiative to realize 5 Trillion dollar Economy by 2024. He said, performance of Indian defence industry has not been commensurate with its potential in past.
Telangana Govt declares 2020 as Artificial Intelligence Year
The Telangana government has decided to declare 2020 as Artificial Intelligence year by organising various activities related to the emerging technology.
- A lot of hackathons and meetings will happen and the government agencies will give challenges and make available data sets on which you (companies) can run algorithms.
UP: National Police University to be established in Greater Noida
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) will be setting up a world-class National Police University (NPU) dedicated to advancement and dissemination of education, research and scholarships of the highest quality in the domain of policing science, forensic science, cyber forensics, criminology, criminal justice, risk management and related areas.
- This NPU will come at an IT park in Greater Noida and will be spread in an area of 100 acres.
Maharashtra to set up Swachh Bharat World University
The Government of Maharashtra has decided to set up ‘Swachh Bharat World University’ in Wardha to mark Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary. The University will focus on research studies in sanitation, cleanliness and environment.
35th Annual Tri-Services Commanders conference held in Jaisalmer
The 35th Tri-Services Commanders conference was held in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. The conference is an annual exercise to strengthen the jointness and synergy amongst the three service commands of the Army, Navy and Air Force while undertaking Operations, Humanitarian Aid and Disaster Relief missions in the region.
IAF, DRDO carry out test firing of Astra air-to-air missile
The Indian Air Force and the DRDO successfully carried out the third consecutive test firing of Astra beyond visual range air-to-air missile off the coast of Odisha.
- According to sources in the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the missile hit a live aerial target at its maximum range of approximately 90 km.
- The missile was successfully flight tested from a Sukhoi-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
AEC chairman launches cancer care connect in Vienna
Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) chairman KN Vyas has launched the NCG Vishwam Cancer Care Connect in Vienna, Austria on the sidelines of 63rd general conference of IAEA.
- The objective of the NCG has been removing the disparity in Cancer Care, and NCG Vishwam is expected to play the same role globally. It said that 11 countries expressed interest immediately after the launch.
Anurag Thakur announces cricket and sports academy for Leh
In a boost to sports training in the region, Union Minister of State for Finance and Corporate Affairs, Anurag Thakur, in his first official visit to Union Territory of Ladakh, announced the opening of a Cricket and Sports Academy in Leh.
Beijing unveils new ‘ice’ panda mascot to promote 2022 Winter Games
Beijing has released its mascot for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games — a smiling giant panda wearing a suit made to resemble ice. The panda is named Bing Dwen Dwen — in Mandarin, “bing” means ice and “dwen dwen” means robust and lively.
- Beijing also revealed the mascot for the Paralympics, a lantern child called “Shuey Rhon Rhon” whose name represents “warmth, friendship, courage and perseverance.”
Arthi Arun wins five gold medals in Commonwealth Powerlifting Championships
Chennai-based powerlifter Arthi Arun has won five gold medals in the ongoing Commonwealth Powerlifting and Bench Press Championships 2019, St. John’s, Canada.
- She has won the medals in the 72 kg category. She is also the current Asian Powerlifting Gold Medalist and National Champion.
Virat Kohli becomes highest T20I run-getter
India skipper Virat Kohli has become the highest T20I run-getter after he played an unbeaten knock of 72 runs to defeat South Africa.
- Kohli has now 2,441 runs under his belt in the shortest format of the game from 77 matches, surpassing his teammate Rohit Sharma, who has 2,434 runs from 97 matches.
FIFA rankings: India drops one spot to 104th position
The Indian football team has dropped one spot to 104 in the latest FIFA rankings which were revealed recently.
- Belgium has maintained its top spot in the rankings, while France has surpassed Brazil to reach the second spot.
Lankan spinner Akila Dananjaya banned from bowling for 12 months
Sri Lankan spinner Akila Dananjaya has been banned from bowling for 12 months following an independent assessment of his action by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
- The 25-year-old was assessed after his bowling action came under scrutiny by the match officials in the first Test against New Zealand in Galle from August 14-18.
Centre appoints Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria next IAF chief
The Central government appointed Air Marshal Rakesh Kumar Singh Bhadauria the next chief of the India Air Force (IAF).
- Bhadauria, who is currently Vice Chief of Air Staff, will take over the charge as the Chief of Air Staff after his predecessor and the incumbent IAF Chief BS Dhanoa retires on September 30.
IIT-Madras, DU, BHU among 14 institutes to get eminence tag
The ministry of human resource development (HRD) has named seven private and an equal number public institutions for the institute of eminence (IoE) tag, following the approval of the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- The private institutes, which have got the recognition are Shiv Nadar University (Uttar Pradesh), O.P. Jindal Global University (Haryana), Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham (Tamil Nadu), VIT Vellore (Tami Nadu), Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi, Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology (Bhubaneswar), and Bharti of the Satya Bharti Foundation in Delhi.
- From the public sector, IIT-Madras, IIT-Kharagpur, Delhi University, University of Hyderabad, Jadavpur University (Kolkata), Anna University (Chennai) and BHU Varanasi were selected.
The book titled “The Cousins Thackeray: Uddhav, Raj and the Shadow of their Senas” released
The book titled “The Cousins Thackeray: Uddhav, Raj and the Shadow of their Senas” written by the journalist Dhaval Kulkarni was released. It is published by Penguin Random House. The book depicts the political journey of Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray.
Veteran Malayalam actor Sathar passes away
Veteran actor Sathar, who figured prominently in South Indian films in the 1970s and 80s, has passed away. He was 67.
- Sathar, who made his debut in Malayalam movie Bharyaye Aavashyamundu , has acted in over 300 movies, including Tamil and Telugu films
World Patient Safety Day
Recognizing the urgency of the issue, on Tuesday 17 September 2019, health stakeholders from all over the world will come together, united in a celebration of the first ever World Patient Safety Day (WPSD). This is a unique opportunity for patients, patients’ groups, carers, civil society organizations and other relevant stakeholders to join the common cause for safe-patient-centred healthcare as an essential component for the achievement universal health coverage.
- The theme of World Patient Safety Day 2019 is “Patient Safety: a global health priority” and the slogan is “Speak up for patient safety.”