Daily Current Affairs 20 September 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Government gives one-year extension to Company Law Committee
The ministry of corporate affairs has extended the tenure of the Company Law Committee by one year to September 2021.
- The committee, constituted in September 2019, is now chaired by corporate affairs secretary Rajesh Verma.
- It was set up to suggest measures to de-clog and improve functioning of the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) and make recommendations on various issues pertaining to implementation of the Companies Act as well as the Limited Liability Partnership Act.
J&K Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha announces 1350 crore relief package for traders
In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha announced an economic package of Rs 1350 crore for Jammu and Kashmir in a bid to boost the business and the other ailing sectors that have suffered huge losses for several years in the newly formed Union Territory.
- This is additional to the benefits of Atma Nirbhar Bharat and other measures taken by the government to comfort the business community.
- The state government has been decided to give 5% interest subvention to every borrower from the business community, without any conditions for six months in the current financial year.
Cricketer Suresh Raina to set up cricket schools in J&K
Former India cricketer Suresh Raina would set up a cricket academy in Jammu and Kashmir to train aspiring cricketers, particularly youngsters from remote areas of the union territory.
- On the request of the Lt Governor, he agreed to set up five schools in Kashmir division and an equal number in Jammu division to train aspiring cricketers.
Ashok Leyland, Hindustan Zinc team up with IIT-M to develop Zinc air battery
Truck major Ashok Leyland and Hindustan Zinc have (separately) joined hands with IIT-Madras in the technology institute’s endeavour to develop a Zinc air battery.
- The battery developed using this new anode material will have about three times the energy density as conventional Lithium-ion batteries.
- The anode will cost about the same as graphite.
BANKING & FINANCE
IDFC Mutual Fund launches ‘SIP in Fixed Income’ campaign
IDFC Mutual Fund has launched a new campaign called SIFI or `SIP in Fixed Income’ to make investors more aware about the benefits of investing in fixed income products via Systematic Investment Plans.
- IDFC Mutual Fund’s SIFI initiative aims to inform investors how a combination of equity and debt SIPs can help them navigate troubled times.
- As part of the campaign, IDFC MF is making videos in various languages explaining how SIPs in debt mutual fund will be easy to do, liquid and benefit from cost averaging in times of volatility.
Bandhan Bank appoints Kumar Ashish to head Emerging Entrepreneurs Business vertical
Bandhan Bank has recreated a broader vertical called “emerging entrepreneurs business” which includes its microbanking division, micro home loan and micro enterprise loans.
- The bank announced the appointment of Kumar Ashish as the head of this new division.
- Prior to joining Bandhan Bank, Ashish was group director at Airtel Money in Africa (a division of Airtel Africa), which runs mobile money operations across 14 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Before that, he had spent about two decades at ICICI Bank.
UN names Indian teenager Udit Singhal to 2020 Class of Young Leaders for SDGs
Udit Singhal, an 18-year-old boy from India has been named by the United Nations to the 2020 cohort of young leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals, the highest profile recognition opportunity at the world body for youngsters who are leading efforts to combat the world’s most pressing issues.
- Singhal has been named to the 2020 Class of 17 Young Leaders for the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). He is the founder of Glass2Sand, a zero-waste ecosystem that addresses the growing menace of glass waste in Delhi.
- The 2020 Class of 17 Young Leaders includes representatives from Australia, Bangladesh, Brazil, Bulgaria, China, Colombia, Egypt, India, Ireland, Liberia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Senegal, Turkey, Uganda and the United States.
Former Maharashtra BJP MLA Sardar Tara Singh passes away
Veteran BJP leader and former Mulund legislator Sardar Tara Singh died due to prolonged illness. He was 81.
- Four-time legislator from Mulund was one of the most popular and accessible legislators in Mumbai. He started as the corporator in the Mumbai civic body before graduating as a legislator.
Veteran Communist leader and former Lok Sabha Member Roza Deshpande passes away
Veteran Communist leader and former Lok Sabha Member Roza Deshpande died at her residence in Mumbai due to old age. She was 91. Deshpande, was the daughter of Shripad Amrit Dange, one of the founders of the Communist Party of India.
- Deshpande had taken part in the Sanyukta Maharashtra Movement (the movement for the creation of the State of Maharashtra) and the Goa liberation struggle as a Member of the All India Students’ Federation. In 1974, she was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Bombay South Central constituency.
- She had also led a campaign to secure maternity leave benefits for working women and served on various Central and State Government Committees on labour problems, particularly those of women workers.
International Coastal Cleanup Day
The International Coastal Cleanup Day is being celebrated on 3rd Saturday of September of every Year. This year September 19 was celebrated as the International Coastal Cleanup Day to encourages people to clean beaches, remove the garbage plaguing it
- The theme of this year is “Achieving a trash free Coastline”.