Daily Current Affairs 20 September 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Govt to start PM Adarsh Gram Yojna covering 36 thousand villages across country
Union Tribal Affairs minister Arjun Munda said that his ministry would start Prdhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojna covering 36 thousand villages across the country.
- Mr. Munda said that those villages with 50 percent tribal population would be given priority under it.
- He said that 1,700 tribal villages in Assam will be converted into model village.The Minister said that another 184 new Van Dhan Kendra to be set up in the state that would benefit nearly 60 thousand people.
Centre forms GoM for better implementation of schemes meant for SC, ST, OBC, minorities, women
The Centre has constituted a group of ministers (GoM) chaired by Rajnath Singh for better implementation of various welfare schemes meant for SC, ST, OBC, minorities and women.
- The development comes ahead of the assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh and some other states early next year.
- Education Minister and the BJP’s Uttar Pradesh in-charge Dharmendra Pradhan is a member of the GoM. Union ministers Ashwini Vaishnaw, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi, Arjun Munda, Kiren Rijiju and Virendra Kumar are also part of the panel.
BANKING & FINANCE
IIFL Home Finance signs pact with PNB for co-lending
IIFL Home Finance Ltd. (IIFLHFL) said it has signed an agreement with Punjab National Bank (PNB) for co-lending. It expects to grow its loan book by 25% with this association, IIFLHFL.
- The HFC said it will service the customers through the entire loan cycle, from sourcing, documentation, collection to loan servicing. This association will allow it to further penetrate into affordable home loan and secured MSME loan markets.
Tata Capital introduces Digital ‘Loan Against Mutual Funds’
Tata Capital Ltd has launched loans against mutual funds and customers can avail quick and hassle-free loans ranging from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 2 crore.
- The digital loan offering is provided against a wide range of equity and debt schemes across mutual funds.
- Customers can avail the loan amount by marking a lien on the mutual fund units which are managed by various asset management companies.
LIC launches ‘Pragati’ App for Development Officers
Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched a new mobile app for exclusive use of its Development Officers.
- Called PRAGATI (Performance Review Application, Growth And Trend Indicator), it is a comprehensive mobile application which gives information that is updated near real-time on the performance of their agency force in critical areas of business like premium collection and agency activisation, apart from monitoring the team in activities such as usage of agents mobile app and NACH validations.
- There is also a calculator that measures their cost ratio.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NITI Aayog ties up with Byju’s to provide study material to schools
The NITI Aayog launched an initiative in partnership with edutech giant BYJU’S, under which students of Classes 6-12 in government schools across 112 ‘Aspirational Districts’ will get free access to the company’s “premium learning resources”.
- Under the initiative, BYJU’S will also provide “free” coaching classes to over 3,000 “meritorious” students of Classes 11 and 12, offered by Aakash Institute, for engineering and medical entrance examinations.
FII pump in over Rs 16,000 crore in Indian capital market in September
Foreign investors have pumped in over 16,000 crore rupees into the Indian capital market so far in September.
- According to the depositories data, Foreign Portfolio Investors, or FPIs, invested 11,287 crore rupees into equities and 5,018 crore rupees in the debt segment.
- This resulted into a net investment of 16,305 crore rupees in the India capital markets between the September 1 and September 17 period.Foreign investors had pumped in 16,459 crore rupees last month.
IOC suspends North Korea until end of 2022 for skipping Tokyo Games
North Korea has been barred from participating in the Winter Olympics in Beijing in 2022.
- According to AP, the International Olympic Committee has taken the decision as a punishment for the country that refused to participate in the Tokyo Olympics Games, citing the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In addition, the North Korean national Olympic body will also not receive the money due from the previous Olympics.
UN appointed Satyarthi as Sustainable Development Goals Advocate
Nobel Peace Laureate Kailash Satyarthi has been appointed by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres as a Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Advocate ahead of the start of the 76th UN General Assembly.
- Guterres appointed Satyarthi, STEM activist Valentina Munoz Rabanal, Microsoft President Brad Smith and K-pop superstars BLACKPINK as new SDG Advocates, a press release issued by the UN said.
- Satyarthi, the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize winner from India, will focus on protecting and promoting the rights of children around the world.
Captain Amarinder Singh quits as Punjab CM; Charanjit Singh Channi sworn-in as new CM
The new Chief Minister of Punjab Charanjit Singh Channi was sworn in at Raj Bhavan in Chandigarh. He became the 16th Chief Minister of the state. Governor Banwarilal Purohit administered him oath of office and secrecy.
- Mr Channi replaced theCaptain Amarinder Singh, who had resigned from the post of Chief Minister after being allegedly humiliated by the party.
- Along with him, two senior MLAs Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa and O. P. Soni also took the oath as Cabinet Ministers. They will be the Deputy Chief Ministers in the government. Mr Soni is a Member of Legislative Assembly from Amritsar central while Mr Randhawa is an MLA from Dera Baba Nanak.
Virat Kohli joins Hyperice as athlete-investor, global brand ambassador
Hyperice said Indian cricketer Virat Kohli has partnered with the global wellness brand as an ‘athlete-investor’ and brand ambassador.
- Through the partnership, Kohli will work collaboratively with Hyperice to further accelerate the wellness category as it begins its expansion into India and continues its growth throughout the globe.
ASICS announces Joshna Chinappa as brand ambassador
Japanese sports major, ASICS has announced Indian squash player Joshna Chinappa as their new brand athlete.
- With this partnership, the brand catapults the performance outlook by joining hands with this sport icon whose game and playing style is admired by all, the company.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Agnikul Cosmos Signs MOU to Use ISRO Facilities to Develop Launch Vehicle
Department of Space has signed a framework MoU with space technology start-up Agnikul Cosmos for granting access to the facilities and expertise of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in developing and testing systems and sub-systems of space launch vehicles.
- Under the agreement, the start-up can undertake multiple tests and access facilities at various ISRO centers for testing and qualification of their single-piece, 3D printed, semi-cryogenic engine and other systems.
- The MoU also enables Agnikul to avail technical expertise of the Indian space agency for testing and qualifying their space launch vehicle systems and sub-systems
SpaceX launches first private flight with 4 amateurs on earth-circling trip
SpaceX’s first private flight blasted off with two contest winners, a health care worker and their rich sponsor Jared Isaacman, a 38-year-old billionaire and philanthropist with pilot training .It was the first time a rocket streaked toward orbit with an all-amateur crew — no professional astronauts.
- The Falcon 9 rocket took off from the Kennedy Space Center pad which was used by the company’s three previous astronaut flights for NASA. This time the Dragon capsule aimed to travel to an altitude of 357 miles (575 kilometers), just beyond the Hubble Space Telescope.
- Isaacman is joined in the SpaceX mission by Hayley Arceneaux, a 29-year-old pediatric cancer survivor who works as a physician assistant. She is also the first person to fly to space with a prosthetic device.
- The other member are Sian Proctor, a 51-year-old geoscientist in Phoenix and Chris Sembroski, a US Air Force veteran.
Noted Odia litterateur Manorama Mohapatra passes away
Eminent litterateur, social worker and former editor of Odia daily ‘The Samaja’ Manorama Mohapatra passed away. She was 87.
- Mohapatra inherited the mantle of editorship of the Odia daily from her father Dr Radhanath Rath in 1998. Prior to that, she had contributed as a columnist in the daily with analytical and critical analysis of contemporary issues under ‘Jhitipiti Kahe Satakshi’ column. Mohapatra has more than 40 books and novels to her credit.
- She was honoured with Sahitya Akademi Award in 1984, Soviet Nehru Award in 1988, Critic Circle of India Award in 1990, Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar Samman in 1991, Rupambara Award in 1994, Utkal Sahitya Samaj Award, Gangadhar Meher Samman, Sahitya Praveena Award, Sarala Award and Sucharita Award during her illustrious career.
Veteran journalist, columnist KM Roy passes away
Veteran journalist, columnist and former Editor of Mangalam daily, KM Roy passed away in Kochi. He was 82.
- KM Roy also served as the Secretary General of the Indian Federation of Working Journalists and was twice elected as the State President of the Kerala Union of Working Journalists.
Former Gabonese PM Casimir Oye Mba passes away
Gabon’s former Prime Minister Casimir Oye Mba died at the age of 79 after contracting coronavirus.
- Several times as minister, Casimir Oye Mba was governor of the Bank of Central African States (BEAC), the common bank of six Central African countries headquartered in Yaounde, Cameroon.
- Oye Mba served as prime minister from 1990 to 1994.
Algeria’s former President Bouteflika passes away
Former Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika has died at 84, the presidency said, more than two years after he stepped down under pressure from mass protests and the army.
- Bouteflika, a veteran of Algeria’s war for independence, had ruled the North African country for two decades before his resignation in April 2019 after street demonstrations rejecting his plan to seek a fifth term.
Noted physicist Thanu Padmanabhan passes away
Well-known theoretical physicist and cosmologist Professor Thanu Padmanabhan died from a massive cardiac arrest.He was 64.
- A distinguished professor at the Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics (IUCAA), Prof Padmanabhan had authored over 300 research papers and several books, with important contributions in areas of gravitation, quantum gravity, and structure and formation of the universe. His research in theoretical physics had the Stanford University name him among the top scientists in the world, with a rank of 24.
- Along with several other awards, he was also honoured with a Padma Shri. Prof Padmanabhan was recently selected for the Kerala Sastra Puraskaram, an award instituted by the Government of Kerala to honour distinguished scientists of Kerala origin. He was awarded for his lifetime contribution towards theoretical physics.
Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation Day
The High Commission of India celebrated the 57th Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC) day in Dhaka. ITEC day also observed in other countries.
- ITEC is a flagship programme of the Government of India. It was established in 1964 to offer the benefit of India’s development experience and appropriate technologies to the developing countries.
- The scheme offers training in over 250 courses in prestigious educational, technical and vocational institutes in India in a variety of fields ranging from information technology to management, vocational training, banking, finance, English language and so on.
One Thought to “Daily Current Affairs 20th September, 2021”
Simply wish to say your article is as amazing. The clarity to your put up is just great and that i could assume you’re knowledgeable in this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to seize your RSS feed to keep updated with drawing close post. Thank you a million and please keep up the rewarding work.