Daily Current Affairs 20th June 2017
ADB to give $275 mn loan for urban services ugrade in MP
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $275 million loan on 19th June, 2017 for improving urban services in 64 small towns in the State of Madhya Pradesh.
- The state government will provide $124 million as counterpart support for the project, which is estimated to be completed by June 2022.
Axis Bank, Kochi Metro launches India’s first single-wallet contactless, Open Loop Metro Card
Axis Bank, India’s third largest private sector bank in association with Kochi Metro Rail Corporation (KMRL) has launched KMRL Axis Bank ‘Kochi1’ Card, India’s first open loop EMV contactless metro card that would make travel a convenient and hassle free experience for commuters in Kochi.
- Axis Bank has partnered with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) in developing this transit EMV contactless specification on interoperable open standards.
Hike Messenger partners with YES Bank to launch in-app Wallet
Hike Messenger has launched the new version of the app with a completely new interface and the addition of a mobile wallet, in partnership with YES Bank.
- With Unified Payments Interface support enabled in Hike 5.0, users can now do free and instant bank-to-bank transfers with their friends.
Meghalaya Govt signs two MoUs with SBI for digital transaction
Meghalaya government has signed two MoUs with the State Bank of India for their SBIePay and SBI CMP facilities as a part of an initiative towards migrating government transactions to digital mode.
IDBI Federal Life partners with SunTec for GST roll out
IDBI Federal Life Insurance has partnered with SunTec, which will help facilitate in computing and invoicing of debit tax and credit tax that will be GST compliant.
Lanco Infratech first from ‘Blacklist’ to face bankruptcy action
Lanco Infratech, the power and roads builder, became the first of 12 companies to face bankruptcy proceedings among the dozen identified by the regulator as IDBI Bank has decided to recover its dues by taking the resolution to insolvency courts
Kovind quits as Bihar Governor
The NDA’s Presidential candidate, Ram Nath Kovind, has resigned as the Governor of Bihar.
- Also, West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi was given additional charge of Bihar.
Indore India’s first city to use robot to control unruly traffic
The number one clean city of India — Indore has got another milestone to its name. This commercial capital of Madhya Pradesh has reportedly become the first city in India where robot is being used on an experimental basis to control its ever growing and unruly traffic.
- The traffic police in association with a private engineering college of the city for the first time has installed a metallic robot at a busy MR 9 intersection on an experimental basis to control the chaotic traffic in the locality.
Ramamani lyengar Memorial to be awarded for contribution in Yoga
The Ramamani lyengar Memorial Yoga Institute has been selected as the first recipient of the Prime Minister’s Award, for outstanding contribution for promotion and development of Yoga.
- The institute, which is situated in Pune, was started in 1975 by one of the chief yoga guru, B.K.S Iyengar and is quite popular around the world for its serious yoga practice.
Sachin’s mother-in-law & activist Annabel Mehta awarded MBE
Sachin Tendulkar’s mother-in-law and social activist Annabel Mehta, a British national, has been awarded the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) for her work and service to the underprivileged.
Reliance Defence inks pact with Serbia’s Yugoimport
Anil Ambani Group company Reliance Defence Ammunition has entered a strategic partnership with Serbia’s state-run defence major Yugoimport to manufacture ammunition in India and target business opportunities of Rs 20,000 crore over the next 10 years.
French president reappoints Edouard Philippe as PM after legislative vote
French President Emmanuel Macron has re-appointed Edouard Philippe as prime minister after the weekend’s legislative run-off vote
UNICEF names 19-year-old Syrian refugee as youngest goodwill ambassador
The UN children’s agency has announced the appointment of its youngest goodwill ambassador — 19-year-old Syrian refugee and education activist Muzoon Almellehan.
- With this she becomes the first goodwill envoy with official refugee status.
Predhiman Krishan Kaw, father of India’s nuclear fusion, dies
The father of India’s nuclear fusion reactor research programme, Padma Shri Prof Predhiman Krishan Kaw has passed away.
World Refugee Day: 20 June.
World Refugee Day is observed by the United Nation High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and is dedicated to raising awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world.
- World Refugee Day Theme 2017 : “Embracing Refugees to Celebrate our Common Humanity”.