Daily Current Affairs 21 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
FM Nirmala Sitharaman launches ‘Ubharte Sitaare Fund’ for export-oriented firms & startups
Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched an ambitious ‘Ubharte Sitaare Fund’ -USF for export-oriented firms and startups in a program at Lucknow. The Fund aims at arranging funds for promotion of micro, small and medium companies. The fund has been set up by Exim Bank and SIDBI.
- Speaking on this occasion the minister said that this scheme will be successful in Uttar Pradesh as the state has highest number of MSMEs.
Keralites celebrate their biggest festival ‘Thiruvonam’ across the globe
Keralites all over the world celebrated Thiruvonam on 21st August, the most important day of the Onam festival. With Covid 19 cases showing no signs of abatement, the celebrations remained highly subdued.
- For the second consecutive year, Kerala celebrated Onam in the midst of a pandemic. The festival usually brings forth a multitude of colours and flavours, but this time, the exuberance and grandeur associated with it was clearly missing.
NTPC commissions largest Floating Solar PV Project in Andhra Pradesh
NTPC Limited has commissioned the largest floating solar PV project of 25 MegaWatt on the reservoir of its Simhadri thermal station in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- This is also the first solar project to be set up under the Flexibilisation Scheme, notified by the Government of India in 2018.
- The Power Ministry said, this will not only help to light around seven thousand households but also ensure at least 46 thousand tons of carbon dioxide is not emitted every year during the lifespan of this project.
Faridabad Smart City ‘ropes in’ comic book icon Chacha Chaudhary to aid mission
Created by cartoonist Pran Kumar Sharma, the red-turbaned Chacha Chaudhary is one of India’s popular comic characters, with strips available in several languages.
- An unlikely collaborator will help promote Faridabad Smart City Limited’s initiatives on social media – comic book hero Chacha Chaudhary.
- Officials of Faridabad Smart City Limited said that the objective of the social media campaign would be to promote the steps the agency had taken, including the installation of CCTVs for surveillance, traffic rules, road safety, and waste management.
Tri-Services’ All-Women Mountaineering Team Summits Mt Manirang
An all-women team of the three armed forces successfully scaled Mt Manirang in Himachal Pradesh on August 15 and unfurled the national flag to celebrate the 75th Independence Day, the Defence Ministry said.
- The 15-member expedition was led by Wing Commander Bhavana Mehra of the Indian Air Force (IAF).
Facebook India launches loans programme for small businesses in 200 places
Facebook India announced a new programme called the “Small Business Loans Initiative”, in partnership with online lending platform Indifi, to help small and medium businesses (SMBs) that advertise on Facebook to get quick access to credit through independent lending partners.
- India is the first country where Facebook is rolling out this programme. It is open to businesses registered across 200 towns and cities of India.
- Indifi is the first lending partner that Facebook has tied up with and the programme is built with the potential to bring more partners on board.
Amazon Echo’s Alexa gets Amitabh Bachchan’s voice in India
In late 2020, Amazon had launched celebrity Samuel L Jackson of Pulp Fiction fames’ voice for Alexa in the US and other western markets and now, it is introducing the iconic deep baritone voice of Amitabh Bachchan to the smart speakers. Besides Echo devices, even the Amazon for Android app will also be able to reply to queries in Bachchan’s voice.
- Customers can ask Amazon Alexa to reply in Amitabh Bachchan’s voice to hear stories from his life, a selection of poems by his father, tongue twisters, motivational quotes, and more.
- In addition to this unique and entertaining content, customers can also ask for music, set alarms, and get weather updates in Bachchan’s signature style.
- Consumers just need to ask, “Amit ji, play songs from Kabhi Kabhi” or “Amitji, Sholay ke gaane bajaiye” or simply say “Amit ji, tell us a funny story” to hear some fun behind-the-scenes info.
MP Govt launches comprehensive Talent Search Campaign in field of sports
In Madhya Pradesh, the State Government has launched a comprehensive Talent Search Campaign in the field of sports. State government has decided to search for new talented players and train them in 18 sports academies of state.
- On the basis of physical strength and proficiency in sports, promising sportspersons will be groomed through coaching and training in 18 academies equipped with world-class sports facilities.
International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism
The International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 2017. It designated 21 August as the International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism in order to honor the victims and survivors of terrorism.
World Senior Citizen Day
The World Senior Citizen’s Day is celebrated on 21 August each year. The celebration took place for the first time in 1991. The day is intended to increase awareness of the factors and issues that affect older adults, such as health deterioration and elder abuse.