Daily Current Affairs 21 December 2017 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India, Myanmar ink pact for socio-eco development of Rakhine State
India and Myanmar inked an agreement on restoration of normalcy and development of the Rakhine State, from where thousands of Rohingya Muslims recently fled following incidents of violence against the community.
India, Sri Lanka complete 2nd phase of joint oceanographic survey
The Indian Navy in collaboration with the Sri Lankan navy successfully completed the second phase of the joint oceanographic survey conducted off the South Western Coast of Sri Lanka.
- The survey was initiated on 26 October 2017 with the arrival of the Indian Naval Ship Sutlej in Sri Lanka.
- The main aim behind launching the joint oceanographic survey was to update all the navigational charts, covering the southern Sri Lankan waters with the latest hydrographic data.
Project Darpan launched for financial inclusion of rural population
Government launched project ‘DARPAN’- Digital Advancement of Rural Post Office for a New India in New Delhi.
- DARPAN will provide low-power technology solution which will enable each of around 1.29 Lakhs Branch Post Offices to improve the level of services being offered to rural customers. It is targeted to complete the project by March 2018.
- The project will improve the quality of service, add value to services and achieve “financial inclusion” of un-banked rural population.
Cabinet approves new skill development scheme for textile sector
The Union Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved a new skill development scheme, covering the textile sector’s entire value chain excluding spinning and weaving in the organised sector, from 2017-18 to 2019-20 at an outlay of Rs 1,300 crore.
- The “Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector (SCBTS)” will have National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) compliant training courses with funding norms as per the common norms notified by Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
Rs 52,000 cr infused in Public Sector Banks since 2015-16: Centre
The government informed the Lok Sabha that it had so far infused a capital of Rs 51,858 crore in Public Sector Banks (PSBs) under its ‘Indradhanush Plan’ since 2015-16.
- The government proposed to make available Rs 70,000 crore out of its budgetary allocations for infusing capital in the PSBs. Funds of Rs 25,000 crore each in the financial years 2015-16 and 2016-17, and Rs 10,000 crore each in financial years 2017-18 and 2018-19, were envisaged.
Cabinet gives nod to India’s first rail university in Vadodara
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the Ministry of Railways’ transformative initiative to set up the first ever National Rail and Transport University (NRTU) in Gujarat’s Vadodara.
- This university will set Indian Railways on the path of modernisation and help India become a global leader in transport sector by enhancing productivity and promoting ‘Make in India’.
Indian Railways plans to make all stations 100% LED lit by March 31, 2018
In an eco-friendly measure to cut power consumption, the Indian Railways has planned to make all stations cent per cent LED lit by March 31, 2018. The railways is actively working to provide 100 per cent LED lighting for energy needs in railway staff colonies, stations and platforms.
Krishnapatnam Port to host 9th International Youth Sailing Competition
Krishnapatnam Port in Nellore, Andhra Pradesh, is hosting the 9th edition of International Youth Sailing Competition of India from December 27th to December 31st 2017.
- The port is also holding YAI Senior and Youth National Championships from December 21 till December 25, which will witness sailors from across India participating in the event.
Bengaluru to host 7th international coffee fest
The seventh edition of the India International Coffee Festival (IICF) will be held in Bengaluru, Karnataka from January 16-19. The four-day IICF 2018, being organised by the India Coffee Trust and State-run Coffee Board aims to promote the Indian coffees globally.
‘Hamesha Vijayee’ exercise being held in Rajasthan
The Indian Army’s Southern Command, conducted exercise ‘Hamesha Vijayee’ from December 16 till December 22 in the general area of Barmer and Jaisalmer in Rajasthan. It aimed at fine tuning surveillance and destruction mechanisms to support precision strikes and manoeuvres by network enabled forces.
BANKING & FINANCE
World Bank approves USD 40 mn loan for UP tourism project
Loan worth USD 40 million for a tourism project in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh was approved by the World Bank Board of Executive Directors.
- The Uttar Pradesh Pro-Poor Tourism Development Project will support the state government’s priority of re-structuring tourism in a way that optimizes the state assets in an inclusive and sustainable manner directly benefiting poor residents and local entrepreneurs, such as rickshaw drivers, local artisans and street vendors.
Samsung, Axis Bank tie-up to offer ‘Bill Payments’ on Samsung Pay
Smartphone manufacturer Samsung launched its ‘Bill Payments’ on its flagship payments service, Samsung Pay in partnership with Axis Bank.
- The new feature launched by the company will enable users to pay their utility bills seamlessly via Samsung Pay’s secure and convenient platform.
HDFC enters into a definitive agreement with Quickr
India’s largest mortgage lender Housing Development Finance Corporation (HDFC) has entered into a definitive agreement with digital classified firm Quikr, to transfer its entire shareholding in HDFC Realty Limited, a real estate brokerage platform; and, HDFC Developers Limited (which runs the HDFC RED platform) to Quikr.
India retain 105th spot, Germany tops FIFA list
India football team remained stagnant on the 105th position while Germany finished first to be named the ‘Team of the Year’ in the FIFA rankings released recently.
Justice U.D. Salvi appointed acting chairperson of NGT
Justice Umesh Dattatraya Salvi took charge as acting chairperson of the National Green Tribunal (NGT), a day after Justice Swatanter Kumar retired. Justice Salvi is set to retire on February 13, 2018.
Singer Jatileswar Mukhopadhyay passes away
Renowned Bengali singer Jatileswar Mukhopadhyay passed away following prolonged illness. He was 82.