Daily Current Affairs 21 February 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Government Sets Up the “NITI Forum for Northeast”
The Union Government has issued order setting up the ‘Niti Forum for North-East’. The forum will be co-chaired by the Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog Mr Rajiv Kumar and Minister of State (I/C), Ministry of Development of Northeastern Region (DoNER), Dr Jitendra Singh.
- The NITI Forum for Northeast is tasked to identify various constraints on the way of accelerated, inclusive and sustainable economic growth in the North East Region of the country.
Centre constitutes committee to study Brahmaputra and flood control measures in Assam
The Centre has constitued a committee headed by the Vice Chairman of the NITI Aayog, Rajiv Kumar to study the Brahmaputra and flood control measures in Assam and neighbouring states .
Railways to set up coach factory at Latur
The Ministry of Railways and the Maharashtra government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to set up a rail coach factory at Latur, Maharashtra.
- The project aims to generate direct employment to thousands and manifold indirect employment opportunities in Marathwada, one of the most backward regions of the state.
Andhra Pradesh government, Facebook India collaborate for IT projects
Facebook India will work with the Andhra Pradesh government in order to take up innovative pilot projects in the state. Both of then have decided to work on providing internet facility to every household through fiber grid project, internet, WiFi, and TV services at nominal cost of Rs 149.
PM announces Rs 20,000-cr Defence Industrial Corridor in Bundelkhand
Two defence industrial corridors were announced in the Union Budget 2018-19. PM Narendra Modi announced that his government will establish a Rs 20,000-crore defence industrial production corridor in Bundelkhand — a region divided between Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh — that will generate 250,000 jobs and bring development to one of the most impoverished regions of the country.
- Earlier, the government had announced to build first such corridor between Chennai and Bengaluru – connecting Kattupalli port, Chennai, Tiruchi, Coimbatore and Hosur.
Kerala makes vaccination compulsory for school admissions
Kerala Government has made vaccination compulsory for school admissions from next academic year onwards. Parents will have to show details of shots given to children at the time of enrolment in schools.
- The move comes in the wake of stiff opposition from certain communities against the vaccination drive.
Delhi Govt. to launch ‘Mission Buniyaad’ to fix learning crisis in Delhi Schools
The Delhi government announced the launch of “Mission Buniyaad” for improving learning skills of children studying in state and municipal-run schools.
- Under the programme which will run from April to June for Class 3 to 5 in Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) schools and for Class 6 to 8 in government’s schools, children will undergo a reading level assessment based on which they will be enrolled in specialised “Mission Buniyaad” classes.
Kamal Hassan launches new political party “Makkal Needhi Maiam’’
Actor Kamal Haasan launched his political party Makkal Needhi Maiam (people justice centre) in Madurai, Tamil Nadu. He also unfurled his party’s flag, which has six hands – three in red and three in white – joined together around a star on a white background.
3 day IITExpo of India begin in Colombo
A three-day India International Textiles Expo (IITExpo) of India began in Sri Lankan capital of Colombo. It is being organized by Powerloom Development & Export Promotion Council (PDEXCIL) with the support of Union Ministry of Textiles & Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
India, Indonesia Joint Military Drill ‘Garuda Shakti’ Begins
The Indian and Indonesian armies began the sixth edition of their annual military exercise named ‘Garuda Shakti’ in Bandung, Indonesia.
- The exercises will include experience sharing in counter-terrorism operations, close quarter combat, and other areas of special operations.
Google Launches Google Pay To Take On Apple Pay
Google announced the launch of a unified payment service app for its Google Pay platform. Google Pay will combine the features of the already existing Google Wallet and Android Pay.
- The app provides a simple interface where the user is allowed to store credit and debit card details, loyalty programs and other such linked payment services.
BANKING & FINANCE
PNB Fraud: RBI sets up panel, asks banks to strengthen SWIFT system
In the wake of the Rs 11,300 crore fraud at the Punjab National Bank, the Reserve Bank of India has constituted a five member panel under former board member Y H Malegam to look into the wide divergence by banks in asset classification and provisioning and reasons for frauds and measures to prevent it and also asked them to strengthen the SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication) operating environment.
Capital First gets NHB nod for merger with IDFC Bank
The regulator National Housing Bank (NHB) has approved the merger of Capital First along with Capital Home Finance and Capital First Securities Limited with IDFC Bank.
NITI Aayog Budget Allocation Increased by More than 20%
Allocations for the Ministry of Planning, which is embodied by the NITI Aayog, have increased by more than 20% over last year i.e. to Rs 339.65 crore in 2018-19 from Rs 279.79 crore in 2017-18.
India 12th among 52 lower middle-income nations having highest infant mortality rates
According to a report by UNICEF, India ranks 12th among 52 low-middle income countries having highest infant mortality rates with over six lakh children dying within the first month of their birth in 2016.
- Babies born in Japan, Iceland and Singapore have the best chance of survival, while newborns in Pakistan, the Central African Republic and Afghanistan face the worst odds with Japan being ranked first and Pakistan being ranked last.
Srikanth, Sindhu to lead India’s badminton charge in CWG 2018
India’s highest ranked men’s singles player Kidambi Srikanth and Olympic medallists PV Sindhu and Saina Nehwal will lead the country’s challenge in the 2018 Commonwealth Games, which is slated to be held in Gold Coast, Australia from April 4.
BJP MLA Kalyan Singh passes away
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA Kalyan Singh has passed away. He was suffering from cancer since last three years.