Daily Current Affairs 21 January 2018 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Khandu inaugurates World War II Memorial Museum in Arunachal
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu inaugurated the World War II Memorial Museum in the state’s Changlang district bordering Myanmar.
- Built by the Union Culture Ministry, the Rs 2.25 crore museum in memory of those who laid down their lives in World War II is located adjacent to the historic Stilwell Road and is expected to boost international and domestic tourist inflow especially from Southeast Asian countries.
India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018: Report
According to a Sanctum Wealth Management report, India will overtake China to be the fastest growing large economy in 2018 and the country’s equity market will become the fifth largest in the world.
- At a time when developed economies are cheering 2-3 per cent growth, India is focused on breaching 7.5 per cent, it said.
IMF, World Bank commend RBI for strengthening banking supervision
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank have commended the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for its remarkable progress in strengthening banking supervision.
- The IMF and World Bank released two separate reports of the 2017 India Financial Sector Assessment Programme (FSAP) in December last year in which they said, the regulation by the Central bank has improved in recent years.
Facebook launches ‘Marketplace’ to buy, sell goods in India
Facebook has launched its ‘Marketplace’ to buy and sell used goods and services across categories such as electronics, entertainment, and housing in India.
- For used goods, it allows sellers to register by including details like price, category, location and images.
- The platform also allows buyers to see details like product condition, usage pattern and time of purchase.
Hockey Haryana crowned champion in Women National C’ships
The final match of the 8th Hockey India Sub Junior (Women) National Championship 2018 (A Division) held in Hisar, Haryana, with hosts Hockey Haryana emerging as the Champions after defeating Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy.
OP Rawat appointed as next CEC
Om Prakash Rawat has been appointed as the next Chief Election Commissioner, and he will replace incumbent Achal Kumar Jyoti.
- Born on December 2, 1953, Rawat is a 1977 batch IAS officer from Madhya Pradesh cadre.
- During his over the three-decade-long career, he has served at various levels, both at state and Centre.
Naveen Patnaik conferred ‘Ideal Chief Minister’ award
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has been conferred the “Ideal Chief Minister” award by former President Pratibha Patil. While receiving the award, Patnaik said, “Odisha’s transformation is a work in progress and I am joined in this mission by the 4.5 crore people who make Odisha. We will continue our journey as we continue to grow, together.”
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan Receives First Ladies Award In Delhi
Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has received the prestigious First Ladies Award by President Ram Nath Kovind at the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- Women from across 112 different fields, who are the first to set a milestone, were felicitated by President Kovind.
- Titled the ‘First Ladies’ awards, it was an initiative of the Ministry of Women and Child Development to honour women who are the first to set a milestone in their respective fields.
Veteran CPI-M leader Khagen Das passes away
Veteran CPI-M leader and former Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha member Khagen Das has passed away after a massive cardiac arrest.