Daily Current Affairs 21 June 2019 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
35000 km of highways to be built by 2022 under Bharatmala
According to the President of India, construction or upgradation of about 35,000 kilometres of national highways are to be undertaken by 2022 under the ‘Bharatmala Project’.
- Also under the ‘Sagarmala Project’, a network of good quality roads are to be constructed in coastal areas and areas adjoining ports.
Sri Lanka launches first satellite Ravana-1 into orbit
Sri Lanka’s first satellite ‘Ravana-1’, designed and developed by two local engineers, was successfully launched into orbit this week from the International Space Station (ISS) along with two other BIRDS 3 satellites from Japan and Nepal.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Indiabulls Housing Finance gets CCI nod to merge with Lakshmi Vilas Bank
Indiabulls Housing Finance said that the Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved its proposed merger with Lakshmi Vilas Bank.
- The merged entity, to be called Indiabulls Lakshmi Vilas Bank, will be among the top eight private banks in India by size and profitability.
SEBI sets up panel to review margins on derivatives
Based on the feedback that the existing margin requirements in the derivatives segment is pushing up cost of trading while not managing risk in the most efficient manner, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has decided to review the current framework of margins in the futures and options segment.
- The capital markets regulator has set up a working group, headed by NSE Clearing Ltd., to look into the issue and submit its recommendations to the Secondary Market Advisory Committee.
Tech Mahindra signs contract with Airbus
IT firm Tech Mahindra has signed a multi-year contract with Airbus for cabin and cargo design engineering with an aim to capitalise on the specialised skills and competencies in the growing cabin engineering business over the next few years.
Jharkhand wins Sub-Junior Girls National Football C’ship final
Jharkhand defeated Arunachal Pradesh by 4-0 to clinch the Sub-Junior Girls’ National Football Championship (NFC) at the Barabati Stadium in Cuttack.
World Archery appoints Bindra to sort AAI trouble
World Archery appointed Abhinav Bindra as an independent person to sort out the ongoing mess in the Archery Association of India (AAI).
- AAI violated the constitution by unanimously electing two parallel bodies in Chandigarh and New Delhi.
International Day of Yoga
International Day of Yoga, or commonly and unofficially referred to as Yoga Day, is celebrated annually on 21 June since its inception in 2015. An international day for yoga was declared unanimously by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). Yoga is a physical, mental and spiritual practice originated in India.
- In India, the main event was held in Ranchi and the Prime Minister of India, Mr.Narendra Modi led a crowd of over 40,000 people, who attended this event there.
- The theme of this year’s event was “Yoga for Heart”.
World Music Day 2019
June 21 is celebrated as World Music Day, International Music Day or Fete de la Musique every year. The first ever music day took place in 1982 in Paris. This move was proposed by French Politician Jack Lang and composer Maurice Fleuret to talk about the importance of music.