Daily Current Affairs 21 March 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
UNDP launches ‘Sahi Disha’ campaign to celebrate women’s livelihoods in rural India
The UNDP has launched ‘Sahi Disha’ campaign to celebrate women’s livelihoods and entrepreneurship in rural India.
- The campaign highlights issues and hurdles that impact the opportunities for women in rural India to access jobs and livelihoods and establish enterprises that can help them become more self-reliant
- The Disha initiative, a five-year collaboration between UNDP and the IKEA Foundation, enabled one million women through skilling and counselling services to access job and livelihood opportunities across five states — Delhi NCR, Haryana, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Telangana.
Gujarat gets Nabard’s Rural Business Incubation Centre
In order to boost rural innovation and entrepreneurship in the agri-businesses, National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) launched Rural Business Incubation Centre (RBIC) in Gujarat.
- The seventh in the country and first for Gujarat, the RBIC is set up at Sardar Krushinagar Dantiwada Agricultural University, in Banaskantha district.
- The centre is being set up with a total project outlay of ₹10.31 crore of which, the NABARD grant assistance is ₹7.81 crore over five years, during which it looks to support 140 new start-ups, of which 125 will be graduated and 102 new products/technologies commercialised.
- Besides, Gujarat, the RBICs are also functional in States of Tamil Nadu, Haryana, West Bengal, Telangana, and Madhya Pradesh.
ISRO to establish space technology incubation center at NIT Rourkela
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will set up a Space Technology Incubation Center (S-TIC) at the National Institute of Technology, Rourkela (NIT Rourkela) to carry out research and product development in space technology field.
- The incubation centre shall promote start-ups, capacity-building, innovations and research in space technology in Odisha, West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand and the Andamans.
- ISRO will provide an annual grant-in-aid of ₹2 crore for a period of up to two years to NIT Rourkela as seed money for setting up the S-TIC.
KRAS rolls out first MRSAM batch for Indian airforce and army
Kalyani Rafael Advanced Systems (KRAS) has rolled out the first Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) batch for the Indian Air Force (IAF) and army. The first batch was rolled out from the KRAS facility located near Hyderabad International Airport.
- KRAS is a joint venture (JV) between Indian firm Kalyani Group and Israel’s Rafael Advanced Defense Systems.
- The roll-out is a major step towards India’s ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ initiative.
India supplies 2nd batch of 20,000 litres of Malathion 95% ULV pesticide to Iran
India has supplied a second batch of 20 thousand litres of Malathion 95 percent ULV pesticide to Iran under a Government-to-Government Locust Control Programme.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Jan Dhan accounts surge to 42 cr with total balance at ₹1.4-lakh cr
The total number of basic bank accounts under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) has reached 42 crore. According to the latest data available with the government, the total number of beneficiaries (account holders) stood at 42 crore, with a total deposits of ₹1,39,864 crore as on March 10, 2021. RuPay cards have been issued to 30.85 crore account holders.
- Of this, public sector banks and regional rural banks have 33.23 crore and 7.52 crore accounts, respectively, while private sector banks have 1.25 crore accounts with them. More than half of the beneficiaries of PMJDY are women at 23.27 crore.
ISSF World Cup: Yashaswini Deswal wins 1st gold medal for India in Women’s 10 Meter Air Pistol
Yashaswini Deswal bagged the first gold medal for India in the Women’s 10 Meter Air Pistol final of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting range, Delhi.
World Oral Health Day
World Oral Health Day is observed annually on 20 March, and launches a year-long campaign dedicated to raising global awareness of the issues around oral health and the importance of oral hygiene so that governments, health associations and the general public can work together to achieve healthier mouths and happier lives.
- The theme for the next three years, 2021-2023 for World Oral Health Day is “Be Proud Of Your Mouth”.
World Sparrow Day
World Sparrow Day is a day designated to raise awareness of the house sparrow and then other common birds to urban environments, and of threats to their populations, observed on 20 March.
- The theme of World Sparrow Day 2021 is “I LOVE Sparrows”.
UN French Language Day
UN French Language Day is observed annually on 20 March. The event was established by UN’s Department of Public Information in 2010 “to celebrate multilingualism and cultural diversity as well as to promote equal use of all six official languages throughout the Organization”.