Daily Current Affairs 21 March 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
India, Japan sign six agreements in cyber-security, clean energy, infrastructure and urban development
India and Japan signed six agreements in the areas including cyber security, waste water management and clean energy after the 14th India-Japan Annual Summit in New Delhi.
- They also exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest so as to advance the Partnership for peace, stability and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific region and beyond. India and Japan have multi-faceted cooperation within the ambit of their Special Strategic and Global Partnership.
Nagaland Legislative Assembly becomes first in country to have operationalised National e-Vidhan Application programme
Nagaland Legislative Assembly (NLA) has become the first in the country to have operationalised the National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA) programme. This was stated by NLA Speaker, Sharingan Longkumer during the first day of the the13th NLA Budget session which commenced.
- E-Book installed in the NLA is the medium through which the member will be using NeVA application in the Assembly in pursuit of the paperless Assembly.
- The E-Book remains inside the Assembly and is not meant to be removed from its placement position.
India adds 1.2 GW of new solar open access capacity in 2021
India added 1.2 GW of new solar open access capacity in 2021, marking a growth of 222% year-over-year (YoY), according to a Mercom India report. The cumulative installed solar capacity in the open access market crossed 5 GW.
- The country added 298 MW of new solar open access capacity in the fourth quarter (Q4) of calendar year 2021, a 75% increase compared to the same period in 2020.
NATO military exercises kick off in Norway with 30000 troops
Major military exercises involving 30,000 NATO troops and partner countries have kicked off in Norway as tensions escalate between the West and Russia over the Ukraine war.
- Cold Response 2022, planned long before Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, aims to test how Norway would manage Allied reinforcements on its soil, in line with Article 5 of NATO‘s charter which requires member states to come to the aid of another member state under attack.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
NMDC signs pact with IIT Kharagpur for drone-based mineral exploration
NMDC Ltd, the country’s largest iron ore producer, has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with IIT Kharagpur for drone-based mineral exploration.
- NMDC and IIT Kharagpur would develop spectral products, methods and algorithms for exploration using drone (UAV) for mining.
- The collaboration would further lead to the development of software spectral tools for mineral excavation and capacity-building programs on mining technology.
Hindustan Shipyard Limited to build high speed boats in Andhra Pradesh
Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) has entered into a tripartite MoU with Eker Group (Norway) and Vaan moto to explore future business in the field of manufacturing high speed boats for accelerating business growth.
- These boats are high end boats with smart, flexible solutions with superior maneuverability which can be operated from shore up to maximum speed of 75 Knots, with a complement of 4 crew and 4 passengers and equipped with Navigation and Communication gadgets.
- These platforms can easily adapt to the roles of Search and Rescue, surveillance, Anti-Submarine Warfare, Mine Countermeasures, ambulance, fire, harbor control and close protection.
HAL, Safran to set up Helicopter engines MRO facility in Goa
The ground-breaking ceremony for a new facility of Helicopter Engines MRO Pvt Limited (HE-MRO), a joint venture of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited and Safran, was held at Sattari, 40 km from Panaji, in Goa.
- The facility will be operational by the end of 2023 with a capacity to repair 50 engines a year and a full-capacity goal of 150 engines in the coming years, HAL said.
- During the ceremony, both partners signed a “Memorandum of Understanding” to extend their cooperation and explore opportunities for new helicopter engines in civil and military markets, reflecting their commitment to the Indian Government’s vision of “Atmanirbhar Bharat” towards achieving self-reliance in defence technologies and MRO.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
ICICI Bank, Punjab & Sind to pick up stakes in bad bank NARCL
ICICI Bank and Punjab & Sind Bank have signed agreements to pick up stakes in National Asset Reconstruction Company (NARCL).
- While ICICI Bank will be investing Rs 137.5 crore to acquire a 5% stake, Punjab & Sind Bank will put in Rs 55 crore for a 2% stake.
- ICICI Bank plans to complete the first tranche of equity investment worth Rs 70.45 crore by March 31. Similarly, Punjab & Sind Bank will invest Rs 28.18 crore in the first tranche, which it expects to complete by March 31.
Pankaj Advani Bags Asian Billiards Title for the 8th Time
Ace Indian cueist Pankaj Advani defeated compatriot Dhruv Sitwala by six frames to win his eighth title at the 19th Asian 100 UP Billiards Championship 2022.
- This is Advani’s 24th international title and 8th Asian crown.
- Against Sitwala, a two-time Asian Billiards champion, Advani won the first frame before following it up with a smooth century break to extend the lead to 2-0.
Charles Leclerc wins F1 Bahrain Grand Prix 2022
Charles Leclerc (Ferrari- Monaco) has won the Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix 2022 at the Bahrain International Circuit, a motor racing circuit in the west of Bahrain.
- Carlos Sainz Jr. (Ferrari – Spain) came second while Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain) came third. This was the first Formula One race of 2022.
N Biren Singh to continue as Manipur CM for 2nd straight term
N Biren Singh will continue as the Chief Minister of Manipur for the second straight term. A team of the BJP’s central observers made this announcement in Imphal.
- In Manipur assembly elections, BJP got absolute majority with 32 seats out of 60 seats. Moreover, MLAs of JD (U), KPA along with one Independent MLA declared that unconditional support will be given to BJP in the government formation.
- For the first time in the history of Manipur, five women have been elected as MLAs in the 12th Manipur Legislative Assembly.
Jay Shah’s term as Asian Cricket Council president extended by one year
BCCI secretary Jay Shah’s tenure as president of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) was unanimously extended by a year at its annual general meeting
- Shah had taken over the reins of the ACC in January last year from Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president Nazmul Hassan, making him the youngest administrator to be re-appointed as ACC president.
TCS re-appoints Rajesh Gopinathan as MD and CEO for five years
IT major Tata Consultancy Services said that its board has re-appointed Rajesh Gopinathan as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer for five years, from February 21, 2022 to February 20, 2027.
- The company company has also re-appointed N Ganapathy Subramaniam as the Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director from February 21, 2022, to May 19, 2024, as per the retirement age policy of the Company.
RBI grants three-month extension to RBL Bank’s interim CEO Rajeev Ahuja
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), in its letter, has approved the extension of the term of Rajeev Ahuja, interim managing director and CEO of RBL Bank for three months with effect from March 25, 2022, or till the appointment of a regular MD & CEO.
- Ahuja was appointed as the interim MD & CEO after the then MD & CEO Vishwavir Ahuja went on leave, a day after RBI appointed one of its chief general managers as an additional director.
- RBI had appointed Yogesh Dayal as an additional director in the bank for a period of two years effective December 24.
Indian Economist Jayati Ghosh Named by UN to High-level Advisory Board on Multilateralism
Indian development economist Jayati Ghosh has been appointed by UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres to a new high-level advisory board on effective multilateralism.
- Ghosh, 66, is a Professor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She was previously professor of economics and chairperson of the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University.
- She is also a member of the UN’s high-level Advisory Board on Economic and Social Affairs.
Suresh Raina felicitated with ‘Sports Icon’ award by Maldives government
Former India cricketer Suresh Raina was felicitated with the prestigious ‘Sports Icon’ award at the Maldives Sports Awards 2022. He was nominated alongside 16 international sportspersons.
- The event was chaired by the President of Maldives Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, Sports Ministers, world-renowned athletes and Maldivian athletes.
- The Maldives President honoured Saudi Minister of Sports Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal with the “Maldives Sports Award” for 2022 for his efforts in developing Saudi sports and striving to achieve the goals of the Kingdom’s Vision 2030. He was honoured also for his support for sports in the Maldives in a way that promotes ways of joint cooperation between the two friendly countries.
Karnataka Bank bags best MSME Bank of the year at ASSOCHAM’s Excellence Awards
Karnataka Bank has bagged the “Best MSME Bank of the year – Winner” award among private sector Banks at the 8th MSMEs Excellence Awards Ceremony and Summit held ,instituted by ASSOCHAM at New Delhi.
- Karnataka Bank has been focusing on MSME sector with various digital products. Bank has ensured expeditious disposal of MSME credit proposals by duly adhering to all quality standards and is actively participating in various Public/Private initiatives to promote the cause of MSME.
Burkinabé Architect makes history winning the 2022 Pritzker Prize
Architect Diébédo Francis Kéré of Burkina Faso has won the Pritzker Prize, the world’s highest recognition in building design.Kéré is the first African to be honored with the Pritzker.
- The 56-year-old Kéré was honored for his “pioneering” designs, said Tom Pritzker, He is chairman of the Hyatt Foundation, which awards the prize.
- The architect’s works, he continued, are “sustainable to the earth and its inhabitants — in lands of extreme scarcity.”
Cyclone Asani to Move off Andaman Islands Towards Myanmar: IMD
Cyclone Asani is projected to move along and off the Andaman Islands towards Myanmar and south Bangladesh coast, India Meteorological Department Director General Mrutyunjay Mohapatra said.
- The weather system is expected to intensify first into a deep depression and later into a cyclonic storm. As per our forecast, the weather system would move nearly northward along and off Andaman Islands towards Myanmar and adjoining south Bangladesh coast.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
“Wrist Assured: An Autobiography” co-authored by Gundappa Vishwanath and journalist R Kaushik
Cricketing legend G.R. Viswanath’s autobiography ‘Wrist Assured’, co-authored by senior journalist R. Kaushik, was released at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru.
- The event to unveil the 266-page long book was graced by a glittering array of stars, including Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Saurav Ganguly and Roger Binny. India coach Rahul Dravid and match-referee of the ongoing India-Sri Lanka Test Javagal Srinath were in attendance too.