Daily Current Affairs 21 May 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
‘Tatpar’ scheme in Ranchi to transport migrant workers
Over 140 migrant workers were sent to their native places on buses, a day after the ‘Tatpar’ programme was launched by the Ranchi district administration to ease their tiresome journey on foot.
- Under the programme, officials collect information about those walking on national highways or on any other road to provide them transport facilities.
- The administration also launched a helpline 1950 for the migrant workers to facilitate arranging of buses
MP Govt begins Didi Vehicle Service for rural women
In the tribal-dominated Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh, the women of Rural Livelihood Mission have started Didi Vehicle Service for rural women for the safe delivery. This vehicle service is completely free.
- Women of Rural Livelihood Mission have started this service for 29 villages of 10 Gram Panchayats of Petlavad development block of Jhabua.
- Arpit Tiwari of Livelihood Mission said that this vehicle will also be available for other emergency services.
‘Mee Annapurna’ – An inclusive program for welfare of farmers launched across Maharashtra
Mee Annapurna, an inclusive programe has been launched for the welfare of farmers and Bhoomiputras in Maharashtra.
- The initiative was announced by Integrated Risk Insurance, an IRDA Licensed insurance intermediary.
- Mee Annapurna will integrate three critical aspects of livelihood and comprehensive engagement.
- The programme involves three commandments – Expertise, Engagement and Entitlement.
J &K starts an initiative SUKOON’ – COVID-19 Beat the Stress
In order to spread awareness about psychological impact of lockdown and measures to be adopted to overcome them, Department of Information and Public Relations, J&K has started an initiative ‘SUKOON’ – COVID-19 Beat the Stress”.
- Thre programme will be telecast on Doordarshan Kashir Channel every Tuesday at 9.00 PM during which psychiatrists, eminent doctors and scientists will share their knowledge on psychological health and how to keep the mind anxiety free and the measures which people can adopt to keep stress level under control.
Indian Railways operationalised its 1st 12,000 hp electric Locomotive- WAG12
The Indian Railways operationalised its most powerful ‘Made in India locomotive – a 12000 HP engine becoming only the sixth country in the world to join the elite club of producing high horsepower locomotive indigenously.
- The first 12000 HP made in India Locomotive, manufactured by Madhepura Electric Loco Factory situated in Bihar, was put into operation by Indian Railways from Pt Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Jn Station
- The loco is named WAG12 with Number 60027. The train departed from Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Station at 14:08 hrs in long haul formation for Dhanbad Division of East Central Railway, consisting of 118 wagons which travelled to Barwadih via Dehri-on-Sone, Garhwa Road.
- It is the first time, high horsepower locomotive has been operationalised on broad gauge track in the world, the Railways claimed.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Flipkart ties up with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance for digital motor cover
Flipkart and Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company have partnered to offer a digital motor insurance policy to customers of the e-commerce major.
- Consumers can buy this motor-insurance policy using their Flipkart app
- Bajaj Allianz General Insurance also offers mobile insurance on Flipkart.
Govt notifies cut in EPF contribution to 10% for May, June, July
Labour ministry has notified lower rates of provident fund (PF) contribution at 10%, thus increasing the take home salary of 4.3 crore provident fund subscribers and giving relief to 6.5 lakh establishments.
- The existing rate of contribution by both employee and employer is 12%
- The move, which comes days after finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced the reduction in PF rates for three months as part of the government’s Rs 20 lakh crore stimulus package, will infuse Rs 6,750 crore liquidity into the system. Thai would be applicable on May-June-July salary period.
Flipkart partners Vishal Mega Mart for home delivery of essentials
Walmart-owned Flipkart said it has partnered with retail store chain, Vishal Mega Mart for home delivery of essential items in 26 cities in the country, including Delhi-NCR, Bengaluru and Kolkata.
- Under the partnership, consumers will be able to order products from over 365 Vishal Mega Mart stores and get them delivered at their doorstep by Flipkart.
- Consumers can order essential products like flour, rice, oil, pulses, beverages and other items from various brands as well as Vishal’s own labels.
Ahmedabad, Noida, Chennai among top 10 industrial corridors for MNCs: Report
According to a report, Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Chennai, Noida-Greater Noida, Gurugram-Manesar and Mumbai-Aurangabad are among the top 10 industrial corridors where MNCs can set up manufacturing units,.
- Property consultant JLL India and Invest India have come out with a joint report ‘Great Places for Manufacturing in India — World-class Destinations for Multinationals’.
- It listed Gurugram-Bhiwadi-Neemrana corridor on NH-48 as India’s oldest auto cluster.
- Noida-Greater Noida-Yamuna Expressway has become an electronics manufacturing corridor.
- Bengaluru is India’s Silicon Valley. In Tamil Nadu, Chennai city as well as Tirupati-Chennai-Nellore, the tri-city industrial corridor, figure in the list.
- Ahmedabad is emerging as an auto hub, while Hyderabad is fostering new innovations in manufacturing sector.
- Vadodara (Bharuch-Ankleshwar) is known for power engineering and chemicals cluster.
NADA provisionally suspends Savita Kumari, Ankit Shishodia for violating anti-doping rules
The National Anti Doping Agency (NADA) has provisionally suspended two powerlifters Savita Kumari and Ankit Shishodia for violating anti-doping rules.
- As per the Anti-Doping Rules of NADA, an appeal can be filed by the athlete and other parties against the order of the ADDP.
Govinda Rajulu Chintala appointed NABARD chairman
Govinda Rajulu Chintala has been appointed the chairman of the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- Govinda Rajulu Chintala has been appointed the chairman of the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- Besides him, Shaji KV and P V S Suryakumar have been appointed deputy managing directors in the NABARD.
World Bank appoints financial crises expert Carmen Reinhart as chief economist and VP
The World Bank appointed financial crisis expert Carmen Reinhart as its new vice president and chief economist, leaning on the expertise of the former International Monetary Fund executive as the Covid-19 pandemic plunges the global economy into the deepest recession since the Great Depression.
- The appointment came after the World Bank announced Tuesday that its emergency operations against COVID-19 have reached 100 developing countries, home to 70 per cent of the world”s population.
Dilip Oommen appointed as the new President of Indian Steel Association
Indian Steel Association (ISA) appointed Dilip Oommen as its new President with immediate effect.Oommen was unanimously appointed as President for the next two years
- The extraordinary board meeting was called to decide on the leadership of the association after Tata Steel CEO T V Narendran stepped down as President on May 1, months before the end of his term in August. .
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan set to take charge as WHO Executive Board chairman
Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan is set to take charge as the chairman of the World Health Organization (WHO) Executive Board.
- The Executive Board is composed of 34 technically qualified members elected for three-year terms. The chairman’s post is held by rotation for one year among regional groups.
- The main functions of the Board are to implement the decisions and policies of the Health Assembly and facilitate its work
World Metrology Day
World Metrology Day is celebrated annually on May 20. The day is the celebration of the signature of the Metre Convention on May 20, 1875, by representatives of seventeen nations.
- The theme for World Metrology Day 2020 is Measurements for global trade.