Daily Current Affairs 21 September 2022 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
NOTE: To read complete Current Affairs, subscribe to our plan. All important news are not covered here.
SBI Foundation and WWF India join hands for Red Panda transboundary conservation in Sikkim and Darjeeling, Kalimpong District of West Bengal
SBI Foundation and WWF India joined hands for Red Panda transboundary conservation in Sikkim and Darjeeling, Kalimpong District of West Bengal. It was announced on the occasion of International Red Panda Day on 17th September, 2022.
- WWF India and SBI Foundation to work with community members of the two states to build a voluntary group, the Red Panda Guardians.
- They joined hands with WWF India to raise awareness about red panda among school children. Around 300 to 400 schools were part of the awareness programme, celebrating Red Panda Day. The schools shared the information (presentation, films, and posters) with children through the WWF India website to mark the Red Panda Day.
Maharashtra’s Daulatabad Fort to be known as Devgiri Fort
The Daulatabad Fort, located in Aurangabad district, would be renamed as Deogiri Fort even as Aurangabad has been renamed as Sambhaji Nagar.
- The Daulatabad Fort, also known as Devagiri or Deogiri, is located in the Aurangabad district and is one of the finest forts in the Marathwada region of Maharashtra and is impregnable by military standards.
- It used to be known as Deogiri, meaning ‘Hill of Gods’, but it was changed to Daulatabad which means ‘The Abode of Wealth’. The town was part of the caravan routes in the sixth century.
Exercise Parvat Prahar held in Ladakh
Army chief General Manoj Pande visited the Ladakh sector to review Exercise Parvat Prahar.The exercise comes as India and China are undertaking disengagement from Patrolling Point-15 in eastern Ladakh at an altitude of 14,000 feet.
- This exercise used newly inducted all-terrain vehicles transported by Chinook heavy lift helicopters and K9-Vajra howitzers.
- The exercise featured a display of operational capabilities by artillery guns and other key weapon systems.
BANKING & FINANCE
World Bank approves $150 million loan for Punjab to improve state’s finances, service delivery
World Bank has granted a loan of $150 million to help Punjab in managing financial resources and ensure accessible public service.
- The loan was approved by the World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors to support the state in strengthening public service infrastructure and its institutional capacities.
- The $150 million loan has a maturity period of 15 years which includes 6 months period.
RBI removes Central Bank of India from PCA framework after more than 5 yrs
Reserve Bank of India removed the Central Bank of India from the Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework on complying with parameters like net non-performing assets (net NPAs) and capital ratios.
- While removal paves way for normal functioning for business growth, Mumbai-based public sector lender would still be subject to certain conditions and continuous monitoring.
- RBI had placed Central Bank under PCA in June 2017 due to high net NPAs and negative return on assets. Central Bank was the last of the public sector lenders to come out of PCA. Indian Overseas Bank and UCO Bank were removed from the framework last September.
Devendra Jhajharia clinches Silver medal in javelin throw at World Para Athletics Grand Prix in Morocco
Indian javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia has clinched a silver medal in the World Para Athletics Grand Prix, in Morocco. Paralympics gold medalist Devendra threw the javelin to a distance of 60.97 meter to capture the silver.
- Devendra is a three-time Paralympics medalist. While 2020 Tokyo Paralympics silver medallist Nishad Kumar won the gold medal in the men’s T47 high jump, javelin throwers Ajeet Singh and Devendra Jhajharia bagged gold and silver respectively in F46 category.
- India has so far won 3 gold medals, two silver, and a bronze in the World Para Athletics Grand Prix in Morocco. Other medalists for India include Neeraj Yadav (F55/56 discus- Gold), Anil Kumar (T54 100m- Silver), and Ranjeet Bhati (F57 javelin- Bronze).
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
CCI approves Jio Cinema OTT and Viacom 18 Media merger
Fair-trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the proposed merger of Jio Cinema OTT with Viacom18 Media.
- The CCI said it has approved amalgamation of the Jio Cinema OTT platform with Viacom18 Media, following an investment by BTS Investment and Reliance Projects & Property Management Services.Under the partnership, Reliance’s popular Jio Cinema OTT app will be transferred to Viacom18.
Gujarati film Chhello Show is India’s official entry for Oscars 2023
The Gujarati film Chhello Show has been announced as India’s official entry to the Oscars 2023.
- The Film Federation of India has announced India’s official entry to the 95th Academy Awards. It has been selected in the Best International Feature Film category. The film is set to release in theatres on October 14 in India.
- Chhello Show, which is titled Last Film Show in English, had its world premiere as the opening film at Robert DeNiro’s Tribeca Film Festival and has won multiple awards across various international film festivals.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Anti-submarine ship INS Ajay to be decommissioned after 32 years of service
Indian Naval Ship Ajay (P34) was decommissioned after 32 years of illustrious and distinguished services to the nation. The decommissioning ceremony was held at Mumbai’s Naval Dockyard.
- INS Ajay was an Abhay class anti-submarine warfare corvette of Western Naval Command. The ship was commissioned on January 24, 1990, in the then USSR’s Poti port, Georgia.
- The ship, during its service period, was part of the 23rd Patrol Vessel Squadron under the Flag Officer Commanding, Maharashtra Naval Area. In the 32 years of the glorious service, the ship was posted on various critical deployments including Operation Talwar during the Kargil War in 1999 and Operation Parakram in 2001.
Comedian Raju Srivastav passes away at 58
Comedian Raju Srivastava passed away in Delhi, confirmed his family. He was 58.
- Raju Srivastava was the entertainment industry since the 1980s. He shot to fame after participating in the first season of the reality stand-up comedy show “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge” in 2005.
- He was also the chairman of the Film Development Council Uttar Pradesh.