Daily Current Affairs 21st June 2017
World Bank sanctions 44 million dollars for ASPIRe
- The project aims at improving predictability and transparency in budget execution and efficiency in tax administration in Assam.
Bank credit grows at 6.02%, deposits at 11.19%
Banks’ credit growth grew at 6.02 per cent to Rs 76,58,212 crore in the fortnight ended June 9 from Rs 72,22,939 crore in the same period of fiscal 2016, according to the data released by RBI.
Housing credit growth slows in 2016-17: ICRA report
According to ICRA’s report, total housing credit growth slowed to 16 per cent in 2016-17 from 19 per cent in 2015-16, with the overall housing credit standing at 14.4 lakh crore as on March 31, 2017 (12.4 lakh crore as on March 31, 2016).
Banks, POs given 30 days to exchange demonetised notes at RBI
The government has issued a notice permitting banks and post offices to exchange old currency notes worth Rs 500 and Rs 1000 with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) within the next 30 days, provided these notes were collected by December 30, 2016.
- Under the Specified Bank Notes (Cessation of Liabilities) Act, 2017, which was passed in March 2017, it is illegal for Indian citizens to hold more than ten notes of the invalid currency after March 31, 2017.
GDP growth to rise to 7.5% in FY19: Fitch
According to Fitch Ratings, India’s GDP growth will steadily rise from 7.4% to 7.5% in 2018-19 and to 7.6% in 2019-20.
NCAER pegs FY’18 GDP growth at 7.6 pc
Economic think-tank NCAER has revised up its projection for the country’s economic growth to 7.6 per cent for the current fiscal, compared with the earlier prediction of 7.3 per cent on forecast of normal monsoon.
Punjab announces free education for girls from Nursery to PhD
In a bid to fulfill one of its major poll promises, Captain Amarinder Singh-led government in Punjab has announced free education for girls in all public institutions from nursery to PhD, in spite of the financial crunch currently being faced by the state.
- In addition to free education, the government has proposed to start pre-primary classes (nursery and LKG) in government schools from the next academic session, provide free WiFi across 13,000 primary schools, colleges and 48 government colleges and introduce free textbooks for government school students.
Odisha to host 22nd Asian Athletic Championships
The 22nd Asian Athletics Championship is Asia’s biggest athletics event, being hosted by Bhubaneswar, the capital city of Odisha from July 6-9.
- This is the third time the premier track and field event of the continent is being held in India after New Delhi (1989) and Pune (2013), and is a qualifying event for the IAAF World Athletics Championships to be held in London later this year.
Rajiv Gauba named new home secretary
Urban Development Secretary Rajiv Gauba has been named as the next Home Secretary to succeed Rajiv Mehrishi, who completes his term on 30 August.
Mumbai named the most expensive city in India for expats
Mumbai is the most expensive Indian city for expatriates and is ranked above major cities like Paris, Canberra, Seattle and Vienna, a report by consulting firm Mercer revealed.
- Globally, Mumbai was ranked 57 on the list while New Delhi was ranked 99.
- Further, the capital of Angola, Luanda was named the costliest city globally for expats followed by Hong Kong.
International Yoga Day: India sets 24 new world records
Lauding the success of the World Yoga Day, Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev has informed that 24 new world records have been set on the grand occasion.
First indigenously built floating dock launched
The Indian Navy’s first indigenously built Floating Dock (FDN-2), developed by Larsen & Toubro Ltd. (L&T), has been launched.
- The Floating Dock is 185 metres long and 40 metres wide and will enable docking of all kinds of vessels.
India re-nominates Justice Dalveer Bhandari for another term as ICJ judge
Justice Dalveer Bhandari has been nominated by India as its candidate for another nine year term as judge of the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the principal judicial organ of the UN.
- His current term runs through February 2018.
Intel partners with world Olympic body
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) and Intel have announced a long-term technology partnership with IOC President Thomas Bach and the US tech giant’s chief executive officer Brian Krzanich signing the MoU.
- Intel will join “The Olympic Partner” (TOP) worldwide sponsorship programme, becoming a Worldwide TOP Partner through 2024. This partnership will transform the Olympic Games and the Olympic experience.
NASA tests ROSA on Space Station for First Time
NASA is testing the effectiveness of a flexible solar array, the Roll-Out Solar Array, or ROSA, on space station for the very first time. ROSA is expected to one day power satellites and spacecraft. NASA had earlier tested the ROSA technology in vacuum chambers on the Earth but this is the first time it is testing the technology in space.
Qatar Airways named world’s best airline
Qatar Airways has surpassed Emirates to claim the title of best carrier at the annual World Airline Awards at Skytrax awards in Paris.
Air Asia named world’s best budget airline at Skytrax awards
At the awards held in Paris, dubbed as the “Oscars of the Aviation Industry”, AirAsia X has won the World’s Best Low-Cost Airline Premium Cabin and World’s Best Low-Cost Airline Premium Seat awards for the fifth straight year.
Uber CEO Travis Kalanick resigns
Uber Technologies Inc Chief Executive Officer Travis Kalanick has resigned under mounting pressure from investors over his leadership.
Sri Lankan appointed UN envoy on youth
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed Jayathma Wickramanayake of Sri Lanka as his next envoy on youth, the UN mission in Colombo.
- Wickramanayake will succeed Ahmad Alhendawi of Jordan.
China unveils world’s first train that runs on virtual tracks
China has unveiled world’s first train that runs on a virtual track making use of sensor technology instead of metal rails.
- The new trains are non-polluting as they are battery powered.
- The train is capable of reaching a top speed of 70 kmph and can travel a distance of 25 km by just charging for 10 minutes.
Estonia to open world’s 1st data embassy in Luxembourg
Estonia will be opening the world’s first-ever data embassy next year in Luxembourg, to keep backup files of its vital information on cloud servers and double secure its data digitally.
King of Saudi Arabia declares son Mohammed bin Salman as crown prince
The King of Saudi Arabia has declared his son Mohammed bin Salman as the Crown Prince, replacing his nephew Mohammed bin Nayef through a royal decree.
Yesteryear actor Amrit Pal passes away
Veteran actor Amrit Pal has passed away after a prolonged illness.
World Music Day: 21 June
World Music Day is celebrated every year on June 21 in an attempt to promote peace and spread goodwill through melodies.
International Day of Yoga: 21 June
International Day of Yoga, or commonly and unofficially referred to as Yoga Day, is celebrated annually on 21 June since its inception in 2015.
- International Day of Yoga Theme 2017: ‘Yoga for Health’