Daily Current Affairs 22 April 2020 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Odisha govt, UNICEF join hands to keep children busy during lockdown
The Odisha government along with UNICEF released a calendar-based fun-filled list of activities for children to keep over 16 lakh children engaged in a meaningful way during the lockdown.
- The Women and Child Development (WCD) and Mission Shakti (MS) department along with UNICEF, has released ‘Ghare Ghare Arunima’, a calendar-based fun-filled list of activities for children to be implemented with the support of parents and grandparents.
- This will help sustain early learning and ensure school readiness of children at home
Homeline: Doorstep delivery of essentials launched in Bengaluru
Homeline, an initiative for doorstep delivery of essentials across Bengaluru city limits during the lockdown and claimed to be India’s first integrated voice and message platform to provide citizens services, was launched by Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa .
- A citizen can call 080 61914960 and speak to the call centre volunteer to place his or her order. Those familiar with WhatsApp can send a Hi to the same number.
- The homeline has been made serviceable in all limits of city civic body, the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike the release said and claimed it is the country’s first WhatsApp bot enabled SuperApp.
India ranks 142nd on global press freedom index
India has dropped two places on a global press freedom index to be ranked 142nd out of 180 countries in the annual Reporters Without Borders analysis.
- ‘The World Press Freedom Index 2020’ said that with no murders of journalists in India in 2019, as against six in 2018, the security situation for the country’s media might seem, on the face of it, to have improved.
- Norway is ranked first in the Index for the fourth year running. China at 177th position is just three places above North Korea, which is at 180th.
India is world’s most digitally dexterous country: Survey
According to a survey by Gartner, Inc, sixty-seven per cent of digital workers in India said emerging technologies such as machine learning (ML), artificial intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT) are increasing their effectiveness at work.
- Sixty-seven per cent of digital workers in India said emerging technologies such as machine learning (ML), artificial intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT) are increasing their effectiveness at work, according to a survey by Gartner, Inc.
- The Gartner 2019 Digital Workplace Survey found that India is the most digitally dexterous country in the world – followed by the UK and the US, due to having the largest Gen Z workforce along with the desire to learn new skills using digital technologies in the workplace.
- Twenty-seven per cent of the digital workers in India are skilled experts in digital technology for work purposes, the research and advisory firm
Lebanon legalizes cannabis farming for medicinal use
The Lebanese parliament legalized cannabis farming for medicinal use, a potentially lucrative export for an economy in dire need of foreign currency as it grapples with a paralyzing financial crisis.Although growing the plant is illegal in Lebanon, cannabis has long been farmed openly in the fertile Bekaa Valley.
- The idea of legalizing cannabis cultivation with the aim of producing high value-added medicinal products for export was explored in a report by consultancy firm McKinsey commissioned by Lebanon in 2018.
BANKING & FINANCE
Paytm Payments Bank partners Mastercard to launch debit cards
Paytm Payments Bank Ltd (PPBL) has partnered with Mastercard for the issuance of virtual and physical debit cards.
- Paytm Payments Bank account holders to enable them perform online transactions, make payment in stores as well as withdraw cash from ATMs.
- To start with, PPBL will issue Mastercard virtual debit cards to its new customers, enabling them to perform secure online transactions that make everyday purchases faster, easier and safer,
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Facebook buys 9.99% stake in Jio for Rs 43574 cr
Facebook announced an investment of USD 5.7 billion (Rs 43,574 crore) to buy a 10 per cent stake in the firm that houses billionaire Mukesh Ambani’s telecom arm Jio as the social media giant looks to expand presence in its largest market in terms of subscriber base.
- The Facebook deal is part of value unlocking by RIL to cut debt. RIL has been seeking strategic partnerships across its businesses while targeting to deleverage its balance sheet.
Huawei India appoints David Li as CEO
Huawei Telecommunications India said it has appointed David Li as its Chief Executive Officer. He replaces Jay Chen who has been promoted to handle Asia Pacific level business role.
- Li joined Huawei in 2002 and has experience of working in the India market, including in roles like vice president sales and vice president HR during different phases of his career. He was serving as CEO of Huawei Cambodia before returning to India to take on his new role.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Pune Municipal Corporation develops “Saiyam” mobile App
To track home quarantine people on a real-time basis, Pune Municipal Corporation has developed a mobile application named ‘Saiyam’. The mobile application has GPS tracking so that whenever quarantined citizens leave their homes, city administration gets alerted and the local ward or the local police station gets informed, who then visit the family.
- The municipal corporation has appointed dedicated teams for five zones of the city to monitor home quarantined citizens with technology in their hand.
- The team is conducting follow-up with people under home quarantine on a daily basis.
Health Minister launches ‘COVID India Seva’ for citizen engagement on COVID-19
The ministry of health and family welfare has launched an application ‘COVID India Seva’ to help people in Covid-19 pandemic situation. The application is launched by Dr. Harsh Vardhan, the union health minister on twitter.
- The Covid India Seva application will answer the public grievances on a large scale in real-time relating to Covid-19 pandemic. Experts will share authoritative public health information swiftly at scale, helping to build a direct channel for communication with citizens.
Jharkhand launches app ‘Jharkhand Bazaar’ to help people get essential commodities
Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren launched a mobile app ‘Jharkhand Bazaar’ which will help the people of the state get their essential commodities during the lockdown period to control the spread of COVID-19.
- The app will help people maintain social distancing as they will get all their essential commodities through this app without moving out of their homes.
- The ‘Jharkhand Bazar’ app has been created by the Department of Food, Public Distribution and Consumer Affairs.
April 22nd, 2020, marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day, the annual celebration of the environmental movement.It was celebrated for the first time in 1970.
- Earth Day is celebrated around the world to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
- The theme for Earth Day 2020 is climate action.