Daily Current Affairs 22 August 2021 for Banking/Insurance/SSC and other related exams.
Centre notifies RoDTEP Scheme Guidelines & Rates
The Centre has notified Remission of Duties and Taxes on Exported Products- RoDTEP Scheme Guidelines and Rates.
- Ministry of Commerce and Industry in a statement said that the scheme for zero rating of exports will boost the country’s exports and competitiveness in the global markets .The rates of RoDTEP will cover 8555 tariff lines.
- The scheme for zero rating of exports will boost the country’s exports and competitiveness in the global markets .
Hisar Airport in Haryana renamed as Maharaja Agrasen International Airport
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has announced to rename the Hisar Airport as Maharaja Agrasen International Airport.
- The Hisar Airport is a domestic airport and the first DGCA licensed Public Aerodrome of the State.
- This airport is presently under upgradation to be transformed as an international airport by 30 March 2024.
BANKING & FINANCE
India-ADB sign $500 million loan agreement to expand metro rail network in Bengaluru
The Asian Development Bank will provide USD 500 million loans to expand the metro rail network in Bengaluru with the construction of two new metro lines totaling 56 kilometers.An agreement in this regard was signed between the Government of India and the ADB.
- The project will construct two new metro lines, mostly elevated, along Outer Ring Road and National Highway 44 between Central Silk Board and Kempegowda International Airport with 30 stations.
- This will help decongest traffic in the city area and provide seamless connectivity to the airport.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
12 Indian firms in Hurun Global 500 list; Apple tops
As many as 12 Indian companies found a place among the Hurun Global 500 for 2021 as Wipro Ltd, Asian Paints Ltd and HCL Technologies Ltd made it to the list of 500 most valuable firms in the world, while ITC Ltd dropped out.
- iPhone maker, Apple, retained its position as the world’s most valuable company with a market capitalization of $2.4 trillion, up by 15%.The world’s top six valuable companies remained unchanged as Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Alphabet, Facebook and Tencent.
- Back home, energy giant Reliance Industries Ltd topped the Indian list of companies with a market capitalization of $188 billion. This was followed by Tata Consultancy Services Ltd with $164 billion, HDFC Bank with $113 billion.
- In terms of overall ranking, Reliance dropped two places to the 57th spot but its valuation rose by 11% during the period. While, new entrants, Wipro, Asian Paints and HCL Tech featured at 457th, 477th and 498th spots, respectively.
BHEL sets up solar-based EV charging station on Delhi-Chandigarh highway
The Union Heavy Industries Minister Dr. Mahendra Nath Pandey inaugurated the country’s very first Solar Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Station at the Karnal Lake Resort.
- With the inauguration of the first solar electric vehicle charging station at the Karnal lake resort, the Delhi-Chandigarh Highway has become the first e-vehicle friendly highway in India.
- The network of Solar-based Electric Vehicle Charging stations (SEVCs) is set up by Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) under the FAME-1 [Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid) & Electric Vehicles in India] scheme of the Ministry of Heavy Industries.
Nitin Chugh resigns as MD & CEO of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank
Nitin Chugh, the managing director and chief executive officer (MD&CEO) of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank, has resigned from his position sighting personal reasons, effective September 30, 2021.
- Further, Chugh will cease to be a director of the bank from the same date. And, he will also cease to be key managerial personnel of the bank in terms of section 203 of the Companies Act, 2013.
Govt appoints Shanti Lal Jain as MD and CEO of Indian Bank for 3 years
Shanti Lal Jain has been appointed Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Indian Bank for three years, a Personnel Ministry order issued said. Jain is currently Executive Director (ED), Bank of Baroda.
- Jain’s appointment is extendable based on his performance by upto two years, or till attaining the age of superannuation (i.e.January 31, 2024), the order said.
N K Singh elected as President of Institute of Economic Growth Society
Mr N K Singh has been elected as the President of the Institute of Economic Growth (IEG) society.
- Mr Singh earlier was the Chairman of the Fifteenth Finance Commission. Mr Singh succeeds Dr Manmohan Singh, former Prime Minister of the country.
Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh passes away
Former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Kalyan Singh passed away in Lucknow. He was 89.
- Singh was the former governor of Rajasthan and Himachal Pradesh.He was 2 time MP from Bulandshahar and Etah also.
Film producer and media personality Pradeep Guha passes away
Film producer and well-known media personality Pradeep Guha passed away at a hospital. He was 60.
- Guha, a St Xavier’s College alumnus, has over four decades of experience in the fields of media, advertising, marketing and branding.
- He worked with the Times Group for almost 30 years and served as the president in the company.He was also on its board of directors.He later joined Zee Entertainment as CEO for three years.He was also the vice president and area director of the International Advertising Association, Asia Pacific region.
- Guha was currently serving at the position of managing director at 9X Media Private Limited.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
‘Mission Domination: An Unfinished Quest’ — co-authored by Boria Majumdar and Kushan Sarkar
The book titled ‘Mission Domination: An Unfinished Quest‘ — co-authored by Boria Majumdar and Kushan Sarkar.
- The book has been published by Simon & Schuster.
- The manner in which Siraj scythed through the lower-order with two sets of double breakthroughs just when it seemed the match was meandering to a draw, not only spoke volumes about his high skill-sets but also gave a peek into his mental fortitude in pressure situation.
Sanskrit Week 2021
In 2021, India is observing the Sanskrit Week from August 19 to August 25, 2021, to promote, popularise and cherish the importance of ancient language. In 2021, Sanskrit Day was celebrated on August 22, 2021.
- The day is celebrated on the full moon day of the month of Shravan, which also marks the occasion of Raksha Bandhan each year.